Atlanta not too please with this: | Syracusefan.com

Atlanta not too please with this:

CusefanATL

2018 Iggy Post Season Record NCAA Winner
http://www.syracuse.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2013/04/guide_to_atlanta_flights_cultu.html

The head of the final 4 was on 790 the zone this morning and was not all that happy with this article. Says that the final 4 will disprove a lot of myths about Atlanta - especially donna adamo's part.

Adamo is kind of correct, but as I read that I thought it was way over the top 'by the book' stereotypical. You say stuff that stereotypical about other cultures and it could be considered a hate crime.

http://www.syracuse.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2013/04/guide_to_atlanta_flights_cultu.html

The head of the final 4 was on 790 the zone this morning and was not all that happy with this article. Says that the final 4 will disprove a lot of myths about Atlanta - especially donna adamo's part.

Adamo is kind of correct, but as I read that I thought it was way over the top 'by the book' stereotypical. You say stuff that stereotypical about other cultures and it could be considered a hate crime.

As a transplant to the Valley in Virginia (been here four years now) I can say it IS a slower pace of life down here in regards to customer service. It just is. That's not a stereotype, it's the truth. I remember when I first got here being SO agitated by how slow everyone seemed to move. I'm used to it now and quite enjoy it.

In regards to the 'Sir' and 'Ma'am' thing, I find that to be true as well. I actually do it now as well. Not sure if that's the stuff you were talking about when you were mentioning stereotypes in that article. Maybe it's different in Atlanta because it's a larger city, but it's definitely true here.

As a transplant to the Valley in Virginia (been here four years now) I can say it IS a slower pace of life down here in regards to customer service. It just is. That's not a stereotype, it's the truth. I remember when I first got here being SO agitated by how slow everyone seemed to move. I'm used to it now and quite enjoy it.

In regards to the 'Sir' and 'Ma'am' thing, I find that to be true as well. I actually do it now as well. Not sure if that's the stuff you were talking about when you were mentioning stereotypes in that article. Maybe it's different in Atlanta because it's a larger city, but it's definitely true here.

Atlanta is a funny city. The majority of the people live outside of the perimeter but the hustle and bustle is inside. Its a tale of ITP vs OTP (inside or outside the perimeter). ITP, surprisingly to a lot of people is a very liberal area. OTP is very, very conservative.

Like I said, she 'kind of correct'. I would guess that Donna lives OTP now and hasn't had too much experience ITP.

not sure what in there is a myth. i imagine the "slow down" part doesn't make sense because everybody downtown will be tourists and with tourists. and 75% of the people in downtown on any given day moved here from somewhere else, anyway (probably 33% from the north). other than that, it reads ok to me.

i've held onto most of my northeast mentality but the sir/maam, mr/miss thing is right on. my kids call people "mr ____" or "miss ____". that's what it is, but i don't think that's anything that needs to be disproved.

Not sure why anyone would be unhappy with that article. I didn't find anything in it to be offensive. As someone who has spent considerable time in the off-the-beaten-path south and in the cities, it is accurate.

Having lived in Atlanta for 17 years (longer than I lived in New York by 2 months now), there is a difference. It can be noticed in 3 places.

1. The check out line at the grocery store. My friends from the North come down to visit and lose their mind waiting to get wrung up. They lose their patience so quickly. It is kinda funny how long it takes. I egg the process on by conversing with the Publix/Kroger check out clerk.

2. The mail delivery. It is embarrassing how consistently inconsistent the mail delivery can be. I can honestly say there is no set time when the mail arrives. it could be 1pm, it could be 6pm. I could have set my watch to the postman in Manlius back in the day.

3. Availability to sporting events. Everyone in Atlanta is a transplant. So big ticket events are readily available. In 2000, my friends bought tickets to Game 4 on the World Series Yankees v Braves for $25. Truly amazing. One can always go to a Hawks, Braves or Falcons game. The NFC Championship game was sold out, but tickets were not going for much over face value.

I've traveled enough in the South to know that the stereotype is true for most areas in the south. They can get upset if they want. But it's nothing really to get upset about.

Having lived in Atlanta for 17 years (longer than I lived in New York by 2 months now), there is a difference. It can be noticed in 3 places.

3. Availability to sporting events. Everyone in Atlanta is a transplant. So big ticket events are readily available. In 2000, my friends bought tickets to Game 4 on the World Series Yankees v Braves for $25. Truly amazing. One can always go to a Hawks, Braves or Falcons game. The NFC Championship game was sold out, but tickets were not going for much over face value.

Never been to Atlanta but this is crazy if you can buy tickets to sporting events for face when they are sold out.

Atlanta is a funny city. The majority of the people live outside of the perimeter but the hustle and bustle is inside.

Yeah - the city of Atlanta itself is actually relatively small for a major American city (430K), but the metropolitan area is just enormous (5.5 million).

Someone was upset at that article? I guess one could add : gets insulted over nothing or maybe Southerners just don't like Yankees offering their opinions on them at all. :)

"And remember, this is the South. People are friendly. Drivers don't honk horns in the South. They 'tap' them, like a gentle nudge to get out of their way. They also let you in...when you realize you need to be four lanes over. "

REALLY?!?! Been in the South for a total of 13+ years. Find this to be more rare than common!!

Someone was upset at that article? I guess one could add : gets insulted over nothing or maybe Southerners just don't like Yankees offering their opinions on them at all. :)

tends to be the case with every stereotype.

Trust me...as a Southern-Fried Yankee (been living down here a total of 13+ years, married to a Southerner and I now say "ya'll" instead of you guys)...Southerners don't like the "opinions" of Northerners...

Traffic looks fine to me, as long as you're going the right direction:

TWD-Key-Art-560.jpg

John Kennedy said that Washington "combines Northern charm and Southern efficiency".

Didn't read the article, but that's exactly the quote that came to mind when I read this thread.

And anyone who's waited in a checkout line at a D.C.-area Giant or Safeway can vouch for its accuracy, 50-odd years after it was spoken.

I got a $5 seat at the Braves game from a scalper.

Greg Maddux was pitching...

the article is off based in my opinion. you are going to be "inside the perimeter". OTP, that might apply, but no so much downtown. atlanta is much like any other city. i dont really find the friendliness all too different from syracuse

most annoying thing about downtown in my opinion... get use to a bunch of panhandlers approaching you and telling you they are not asking you for money, only to come up with some story and ask you for money two seconds later.

most annoying thing about downtown in my opinion... get use to a bunch of panhandlers approaching you and telling you they are not asking you for money, only to come up with some story and ask you for money two seconds later.

my defense is to ask them for money before they get even one word out of their mouths...really throws them for a loop

1. The check out line at the grocery store. My friends from the North come down to visit and lose their mind waiting to get wrung up. They lose their patience so quickly. It is kinda funny how long it takes. I egg the process on by conversing with the Publix/Kroger check out clerk.

2. The mail delivery. It is embarrassing how consistently inconsistent the mail delivery can be. I can honestly say there is no set time when the mail arrives. it could be 1pm, it could be 6pm. I could have set my watch to the postman in Manlius back in the day.

You're spot on with the three points above.

Also, Southerners have no concept of merging on or off of freeways... They literally come to a complete stop and wait for it to open up before punching the gas to go from zero to sixty.

seriously, after reading this article again this article is beyond stupid. i will take a guess that by Donna Adamo working in Kennesaw, she has made it to the city of Atlanta a hand full of times.

Yeah, worthless article. No mention of the World of Coca-Cola? I mean, there's an area where you can try every soda they make. And not just here in the US. Everywhere.

"And remember, this is the South. People are friendly. Drivers don't honk horns in the South. They 'tap' them, like a gentle nudge to get out of their way. They also let you in...when you realize you need to be four lanes over. "

REALLY?!?! Been in the South for a total of 13+ years. Find this to be more rare than common!!
I completely agree. Knoxville drivers are infinitely more inconsiderate and selfish than anything I encountered back in CNY.