Atlantic will be tough | Syracusefan.com

Atlantic will be tough

gary reed

Walk On
It kinds sucks we have to play, and most likely beat Clemson and FSU, to go to the ACCCG. They are the good teams in the Atlantic. Its much easier to win the coastal it seems, BUT you have to play the big boys to win championships

Ha, you've obviously got high hopes for the future. In the present, I'm hoping this team can find ways to beat Rutgers, UConn, and Temple. I can't convince myself to even to entertain the possibility of playing in Conference Championship Games.

The ACC Coastal Division will be a tough conference.

If we can win 7 or 8 games our first year in the ACC I'll be delirious. Beating out Clemson and FSU for the right to advance to the CG can wait for the future. But I also agree with donniesyracuse; I am praying our last year in the BE isn't as bad as everyone on the other teams' message boards says it is going to be.

There's been rumors that to appease FSU they may move GT to the Atlantic and Maryland to the Coastal in the future. There was a strong feeling amongst some to generate a Pitt/MD rivalry that got "derailed" by trying to create an "ND friendly" Coastal.

Cheers,
Neil

The ACC Coastal Division will be a tough conference.

I think people live in the now way too much. They see Coastal and don't think of Miami. Miami will be back under Golden, VT isn't going anywhere. There's no real easy path in the ACC.

The experts predicting the death of the ACC probably won't admit they're wrong, once it's determined that they were in fact, very wrong.

I think people live in the now way too much. They see Coastal and don't think of Miami. Miami will be back under Golden, VT isn't going anywhere. There's no real easy path in the ACC.

The experts predicting the death of the ACC probably won't admit they're wrong, once it's determined that they were in fact, very wrong.

The only fault in your post is referring to those that predicted the fall of the ACC "experts". I think "asses" is a more appropriate term.

There's been rumors that to appease FSU they may move GT to the Atlantic and Maryland to the Coastal in the future. There was a strong feeling amongst some to generate a Pitt/MD rivalry that got "derailed" by trying to create an "ND friendly" Coastal.

Cheers,
Neil

Why would they need to appease FSU?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

To reduce the level of ACC frustration supposedly being experienced by their faithful.

All 3 of FSU, GT and Clemson would prefer to play annual games against their closest (geographical) conference mates.

Just go to a North/South divisional setup, already! Just make the VA/NC line the dividing line, put Miami in the North and make FSU/Miami a protected rivalry game. Done.

Syracuse University must be willing to make a truly strong financial commitment to football in order to compete with Clemson, Ga Tech, Miami, FSU, Va Tech and the rest.

I really can't wait for this move to happen.

Just go to a North/South divisional setup, already! Just make the VA/NC line the dividing line, put Miami in the North and make FSU/Miami a protected rivalry game. Done.
If Miami is in the North, how is that a North/South divisional setup?

Regardless of anyone's opinion on whether the two sides are talking (informally, I would find it hard to believe that they haven't), there's still that sticky issue of the FSU BOT member sounding off about how FSU should move to the Big 12 (oh wait, sorry Swaim wants credit for "breaking" the FSU to the Big 12 rumor).

So if you're the ACC, you have to call FSU and say what, within reason, would you like to see changed to make you happy so we don't have to worry about your uninformed BOT member embarassing himself, your school, and the league in the press? If it's something simple like a GT/Maryland division swap, you do it. If it's something like "we want 50% of the revenue, the other 13 schools split the other 50%" then you tell them Ames, Iowa is beautiful this time of year, enjoy the bronze medal.

Regardless of anyone's opinion on whether the two sides are talking (informally, I would find it hard to believe that they haven't), there's still that sticky issue of the FSU BOT member sounding off about how FSU should move to the Big 12 (oh wait, sorry Swaim wants credit for "breaking" the FSU to the Big 12 rumor).

So if you're the ACC, you have to call FSU and say what, within reason, would you like to see changed to make you happy so we don't have to worry about your uninformed BOT member embarassing himself, your school, and the league in the press? If it's something simple like a GT/Maryland division swap, you do it. If it's something like "we want 50% of the revenue, the other 13 schools split the other 50%" then you tell them Ames, Iowa is beautiful this time of year, enjoy the bronze medal.
2nd paragraph is classic. only thing you missed was offering to not put wake forest on the schedule.

its good to be scared of getting pounded by real teams, than to be scared of getting pounded by bullspit teams.

If Miami is in the North, how is that a North/South divisional setup?

Alumni base it makes a lot of sense...if they did this to Miami they would need some serious ($$$) concessions...I hate to feed the pig but, I think ultimately 4 pods of 4 might be the best. I would expand one more team (assuming ESPN kicks in the money) for now and await Notre Dame...15 would help BB with 3 pods of 5. FB would be uneven for now but it could work for a few years.

Syracuse University must be willing to make a truly strong financial commitment to football in order to compete with Clemson, Ga Tech, Miami, FSU, Va Tech and the rest.

I really can't wait for this move to happen.

OPA, Do you believe it will happen?

This BOT guy who made these statements is no rube. He's a big time lawyer in Florida and has previously been President of the booster club (Seminole Club?). I was hoping he wouldn't have good credentials.

Maybe they should just get rid of divisions altogether. 14 team league, everyone gets some number of annual regional opponents (1, 2, 3, whatever # works best but maybe cap at 3), and the other 6 games rotate among all the other teams.

Two best teams play in the Conf Championship game.

I know the flaw off the bat is the rules around having a Conf Championship game (must have 12 teams, 2 divisions). But someone at the NCAA just wrote those rules on the napkin sitting under their Jack and Coke on some Friday evening back in the early 90's. If the league has the minimum amount of teams, what does the divisions accomplish that you couldn't still accomplish without them? Something tells me the NCAA might give in on that one, since everyone seems to assume they face the real possibility of everyone breaking away from them anyway.

This BOT guy who made these statements is no rube. He's a big time lawyer in Florida and has previously been President of the booster club (Seminole Club?). I was hoping he wouldn't have good credentials.

One thing I know about guys like that is that they really don't care what people think of them. Throw a bunch of strongly worded comments out there, turns out he was very wrong about one point, which he admitted, but he could care less. He said what he wanted to say, and he wanted to move the conversations.

I get the strategy in that. But the point still remains, that because he did it, the ACC needs to at least find out what types of minor maneuvers might make them happier. A swap of teams in divisions to get a regional opponent they desire on their schedule isn't earth moving.

Is Syracuse or BC going to fight back against that move because we'd rather play Maryland every year than GT? I wouldn't think so. And even if we did, would anyone be listening? It's something FSU and Clemson would support, which probably gets it done. VT would be fairly neutral. Miami might not like it, but Miami isn't exactly in position these days to be making demands. As for the schools themselves, GT would probably welcome it. Maryland, not sure, but I don't see what part of it would be so upsetting to them.

I'm just hoping he was drunk talking out his a$$

I just can't see FSU moving away unless 3 buddies close to them came along.

OPA, Do you believe it will happen?

I think so.

Otherwise, why make the move in the first place.

With the enhanced revenue one would think that the University will step up to the plate.

One can certainly combine high academics with nationally competitve football - see Stanford/ND.

So, yes, I think what happened in the 1950s when Archbold was expanded; what happened in the early 1960s with the building of Manley and what happened in the 1980s with the building of the Carrier Dome - a renewed commitment to big time football - will happen again if it is not already happening with the infatructure enhancements that are now underway.

I think so.

Otherwise, why make the move in the first place.

With the enhanced revenue one would think that the University will step up to the plate.

One can certainly combine high academics with nationally competitve football - see Stanford/ND.

So, yes, I think what happened in the 1950s when Archbold was expanded; what happened in the early 1960s with the building of Manley and what happened in the 1980s with the building of the Carrier Dome - a renewed commitment to big time football - will happen again if it is not already happening with the infatructure enhancements that are now underway.

The building of the Carrier Dome was a huge shot in the arm for SU football ... although it took six years to pay off.

But it was not an investment in football. It was a gift from the NYS polls to offset spending in Downstate. The University reacted to the opportunity to build it.

I'm just hoping he was drunk talking out his a$$

I just can't see FSU moving away unless 3 buddies close to them came along.

Even then, I'm not convinced they want to go to the Big Bevo Texas Longhorn 12 conference. The SEC may be a different story.

Go to 10 conference games and have 2 annual crossover opponents. Nobody will want 10 games, of course. Just looking at other options to make things work.

It looks like 16 teams may be easier to schedule than 14... except for the fact that there aren't two logical candidates to fill those spots. One of Yukon or Rutgers could fill out the northern pod (ugh), but what available school would fit in to a southern pod? It's a similar issue to that faced by the BE and NBE back in the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom