Attack 2020 | Syracusefan.com

Attack 2020

CuseNHouse

Scout Team
Next year has the potential to be a breakout year with the experience and depth up and down the field. The standout issue that’s been discussed is the Lack of an elite level attack -

Rehfuss will play his part, but curious what others think about what we have, what’s coming in.

Cook has potential ..but hard to know what’s really there as he was bounced around. Not at all sold on Seebold despite everyone saying he is the “next guy”. He has 1 point heading into his junior campaign and would have to come back a totally different player next year from what I’ve seen.

The glaring missing piece of the puzzle is an elite dodger at attack. There was some coverage on this today re: 2019 season - the Achilles heel ..

It would seem that the program ought to be putting every ounce of energy into finding this puzzle piece in the offseason in the form of a transfer a la Randy Staats years ago.

Could be the difference maker to a very deep run next season. And maybe our last true deep shot before the program is pulled apart and rebuilt.

Thoughts ?

Last edited:
Hard to see the unit improve with the 2 losses.

Voigt was great this year as a scorer and a leader. Haven’t seen someone ready to take that step up.

I was hesitant to accept a middie moving to attack, but the midfield is pretty stacked next season. To be honest though, what I remember from Curry's and Dordevic's HS highlights was operating from the top of the box, not behind the cage.

Please keep in mind that the coaches want to run two effective midfield lines. I think the 2's were pretty good this season, but I'd like to see more production. Really, only Buttermore was very productive on the 2's. Next season, if no middie is moved to attack SU returns 5 productive middies (Dordevic, Curry, Trimboli, Lipka and Buttermore), so a 2nd midfield line could be very effective. Maybe Quinn, Magnan or Fiorini is the 6th guy to run in that group.

The coaches also like to have an inside finisher at attack, as long as he's drawing a long pole, so I wouldn't be real surprised if either Basil Aburn or Sean Donnelly play significant minutes in that role.

I agree with Whitey that the unit is unlikely to improve much, however, if Rehfuss continues his upward trajectory as a dodger, which he displayed more towards the end of this season, that helps A LOT. Also, if Rehfuss develops some chemistry with some of the other guys, like Cook, Seebold or a crease guy, that helps a lot. Also, if the midfield is devastatingly good, that helps as well.

Alpha laments aside, the reality is Solomon and Voigt were good players beloved by teammates, the two leading scorers on team with 61 goals combined which wont easily be replaced .Next attack unit might offer more dodging but matching the playmaking, chemistry and production is by no means a given.
Refhus as senior needs to step up and lead unit from the start. Fall ball should be an opportunity for several to show wares, avoid predeterminations as not warranted

Surplus of young mids allows at least one lead mid capable of playing attack to drop down if punch needed, that would need to be decided sooner than later as attack unit will need to develop cohesion.

Sleepers Aburn, Hill, Berkman.

Alpha laments aside, the reality is Solomon and Voigt were good players beloved by teammates, the two leading scorers on team with 61 goals combined which wont easily be replaced .Next attack unit might offer more dodging but matching the playmaking, chemistry and production is by no means a given.
Refhus as senior needs to step up and lead unit from the start. Fall ball should be an opportunity for several to show wares, avoid predeterminations as not warranted

Surplus of young mids allows at least one lead mid capable of playing attack to drop down if punch needed, that would need to be decided sooner than later as attack unit will need to develop cohesion.

Sleepers Aburn, Hill, Berkman.

Hill appears to be the only guy we actually red shirted out of all the freshman this year. Not sure if that is a good sign or not for his potential. The impression I got from the playing time of Berkman and Aburn was that they weren't good enough to even bother with the red shirt, but that could be wrong. He was a team captain and consistent points producer for the Hill Academy, which is no easy feat. But he did look quite undersized when I saw the team v team scrimmage in the fall. Not too short but really skinny. He could develop into a solid off ball guy I think. Guys with legitimate indoor game experience are always nice to have. Troy Lauder may be another sleeper.

All viable candidates with potential. Matter of realization and fit.. Hill has fantastic hands, liken upside to Patterson. Aburn is the big fundamental, no flair just productive. Berkman adaping assertive style to higher comp. All warrant auditions

I don't see any wrong answers provided in this thread - hard part is I have no idea what the right answer is. I really like the idea of keeping the midfield together - it would have to be considered the best in the country. But if they end up getting double, or even triple poled, what is the point? I think the coaches have to properly evaluate who the best 9 guys are and determine the positions that way.

If Cook is getting pushed around, if Seebold just can't get things to click, and no one else emerges, someone from the midfield will have to move down. My vote would be for Dordevic, I still think his game translates the best, and I think it would keep him healthy if he avoided running up and down the field trying to get back on defense.

If some of the younger midfield recruits emerge in the offseason that might make the coaches jobs easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom