Attendance Crown | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Attendance Crown

2A8216F4-C362-44FA-8434-2C7A9A896F25.jpeg

Tom, I gave you a like because of all the time you took to write so thoroughly on this subject. But I am having a hard time with your explanation! There are two issues for fans (at LEAST two!) in terms of comfort: being packed in, and sitting on a hard bench with NO BACK. I sit in 309 and pay for the stadium seats and they are very helpful. What about the idea of installing a comfortable bench with a comfortable back? That wouldn’t help the sardine problem but it would help with the back/butt misery.
I agree. The spacing of the rows on the upper deck was not done with chair backs in mind. If they add them, they are going to have to be low profile and hopefully soft, like the rentals we can get now, so people can move to and from their seats without causing major disruptions. It is already tough to do with just the limited rental seats in place.

I like the idea of adding another concourse, which would jut over some of 311, 312, 313 (something like that). Is that just your pipe dream or is someone with power thinking about this? If the former, you should speak with the latter!
It is something I think would be great, something I am campaigning for and something I have never heard anyone from SU mention. I doubt it happens. I have attached a crude drawing to show what I have in mind. A lot depends on if we are really going to expand the footprint of the facility to allow for bigger concourses. That will be expensive but IMHO, is a must to make the facility more comfortable and fan friendly. The biggest problem with the Dome today is the air supported roof. SU is right to address that first, and get a fixed roof with no risk of rupturing during a snow storm.

The second biggest issue with the Dome, IMHO, isn't the sound system, the lack of AC, the lighting, the scoreboards, the concessions, the bathrooms or the seating.

It is the tightness of the concourses. Opening them up with make it a lot easier to get around, and would provide room to improve concessions, add more choices, improve the bathroom situation (you should never be more than a section or two from a bathroom), etc.

Opening the concourses has been discussed but I don't think it has been committed to yet. I am hoping it is part of phase 3 of the renovation.

By the way, when is this going to begin? After LaCrosse season?

Thank you, Tom!
Yes, work starts after lacrosse this year. I think the focus for 2019 is going to be on getting additional columns around the perimeter of the Dome in place to help support the much heavier fixed roof that is coming. But the SU folks are not sharing much info about it.

Attachments

• dome reno.pdf
    209.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I agree. The spacing of the rows on the upper deck was not done with chair backs in mind. If they add them, they are going to have to be low profile and hopefully soft, like the rentals we can get now, so people can move to and from their seats without causing major disruptions. It is already tough to do with just the limited rental seats in place.

It is something I think would be great, something I am campaigning for and something I have never heard anyone from SU mention. I doubt it happens. I have attached a crude drawing to show what I have in mind. A lot depends on if we are really going to expand the footprint of the facility to allow for bigger concourses. That will be expensive but IMHO, is a must to make the facility more comfortable and fan friendly. The biggest problem with the Dome today is the air supported roof. SU is right to address that first, and get a fixed roof with no risk of rupturing during a snow storm.

The second biggest issue with the Dome, IMHO, isn't the sound system, the lack of AC, the lighting, the scoreboards, the concessions, the bathrooms or the seating.

It is the tightness of the concourses. Opening them up with make it a lot easier to get around, and would provide room to improve concessions, add more choices, improve the bathroom situation (you should never be more than a section or two from a bathroom), etc.

Opening the concourses has been discussed but I don't think it has been committed to yet. I am hoping it is part of phase 3 of the renovation.

Yes, work starts after lacrosse this year. I think the focus for 2019 is going to be on getting additional columns around the perimeter of the Dome in place to help support the much heavier fixed roof that is coming. But the SU folks are not sharing much info about it.
Agree x1000 on the concourse issue. Open that up and anything is possible. It’s the single biggest issue that needs to be addressed after the roof.

I couldn’t open up your attachment but that’s okay. Yes, opening up the concourses would also be huge. Going to the Duke game, there is no way I am going to fight the crowds to go to the bathroom, so that presents certain stress!

Let’s face it: Dome Sweet Dome has a lot of issues!

So UK drew announced 23,490 last night for the LSU game. They still have 4 home games left including a huge matchup with Tennessee. If they average 24k they will end up with a season-long average of 21,786.

We are pretty much locked in at 35,454 for Duke. Looks like they could not clear the hurdles to sell obstructed view or standing room tickets. So if we average 23,500 for Louisville and UVa we end at 21,789.

Going to be close...

Until people realize this means they are going to move further from the court. In many cases, move from the 1st level to the 3rd level, or from the 2nd level to the 3rd level (I expect the second level on the basketball side is going to be taken from private boxes) Or get moved from center court on the 3rd level to somewhere near the baseline on the 3rd level.

When that happens, there is going to be a firestorm of controversy.
Last move that affected our seats was a move from just above the band on the current student section side to the opposite side of the court. Maybe it didn't seem like a big switch, but it was not quite the same "feel" during the timeouts, etc.