Attendance. It's not just us... | Syracusefan.com

Attendance. It's not just us...

I don't think winning cures all with regard to this matter, it helps but will still be an issue

Give me an 11-0 season and the Dome will be filled every Saturday for SU Football.

This town can be a pain in the butt - but Syracuse and CNY will come out in droves for a big winner.

it may not be just us... but their problems arent nearly as bad as ours.

we havent sniffed a sellout in years. and the dome holds a shade over 49k.

Give me an 11-0 season and the Dome will be filled every Saturday for SU Football.
That's one way to do it.

Probably easier to just have a more entertaining program.:noidea:

FWIW, I think we're moving in the right direction.

That's one way to do it.

Probably easier to just have a more entertaining program.:noidea:

FWIW, I think we're moving in the right direction.

No.

Not in Syracuse.

You want sell-outs, you have to win big.

And, yes, we're moving in the right direction.

No.

Not in Syracuse.

You want sell-outs, you have to win big.

And, yes, we're moving in the right direction.
No.

In Syracuse.

If you want sell-outs, you have to make watching Syracuse football live the best entertainment choice in town.

And, yes, I already said we're moving in the right direction.

But seriously man, what's more likely - undefeated seasons, or having a football program that's more fun to watch? That's an easy question to answer.

Interesting piece about Big Ten attendance challenges and steps being taken to address them:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/95953/attendance-challenges-big-deal-for-b1g

A lot of the issue we beat to death here (student attendance, kickoff times, in-game experience) are touched on. All are concerns at play in every pro league as well.

Want to improve attendance and commerce in downtown?

Get rid of the elevate Route 81 that has helped ruin downtown Syracuse.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index...._cities_recap_of_highways.html#incart_m-rpt-2

No.

In Syracuse.

If you want sell-outs, you have to make watching Syracuse football live the best entertainment choice in town.

And, yes, I already said we're moving in the right direction.

But seriously man, what's more likely - undefeated seasons, or having a football program that's more fun to watch? That's an easy question to answer.

Hopefully it will not come to it, but if the Orange is 12-0 and truly boring to watch, the Dome will sell out.

Winning in CNY is entertainment.

And if you don't think that's true, you just havent been a Syracuse sports fan long enough.

The people sitting up in 322 to see Duke or Villanova aren't there to see an exciting brand of basketball. They couldn't see anything.

Win and win often and you'll have people paying to watch from those blowholes at the top of the Dome.

Winning in CNY is entertainment.

And if you don't think that's true, you just havent been a Syracuse sports fan long enough.
This is where it falls apart for you. You can't equate winning with entertainment. Winning is a part of entertainment competing against all other forms of entertainment. You have to have more than that.

How long I've been a sports fan has no bearing on this discussion.

It's so simple. If you want attendance to increase, you have to find a way for attending games to deliver the best return on investment among the other entertainment choices people have for the greatest number of people. That's it. Winning's a part of it, but that's it - a part.

The people sitting up in 322 to see Duke or Villanova aren't there to see an exciting brand of basketball. They couldn't see anything.

Win and win often and you'll have people paying to watch from those blowholes at the top of the Dome.
They are getting an entertainment experience that is superior to their other entertainment choices.

I don't think winning cures all with regard to this matter, it helps but will still be an issue

You're right.

"Of course I want the team to win, but it can be difficult to get myself to go when we're just going to be blowing teams out by 30 or more," Griffin Smith, a sophomore at Alabama. "The problem is when we can check off home games as wins three or four months before they happen, we all lose interest in attending."

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-concern-students-show-college-football-games

This is where it falls apart for you. You can't equate winning with entertainment. Winning is a part of entertainment competing against all other forms of entertainment. You have to have more than that.

How long I've been a sports fan has no bearing on this discussion.

It's so simple. If you want attendance to increase, you have to find a way for attending games to deliver the best return on investment among the other entertainment choices people have for the greatest number of people. That's it. Winning's a part of it, but that's it - a part.

If you have lived in Syracuse long enough - and I mean more than 45 years - you know what this town is all about.

The city will draw fans if its teams win big - whether it's the Chiefs, the Syracuse Blazers, the Syracuse Nats, the Syracuse Football team or the Syracuse Basketball team.

Winning is the entertainment for this sports community - not the opponent, not the conference, not the rivalries, not the style of offense.

If you really think that an "exciting team" that loses will draw the CNY fan you're fooling yourself.

It is and always has been about winning in our community - that will fill the Dome. And if the team loses the fans will stay away in droves.

If you have lived in Syracuse long enough - and I mean more than 45 years - you know what this town is all about.

The city will draw fans if its teams win big - whether it's the Chiefs, the Syracuse Blazers, the Syracuse Nats, the Syracuse Football team or the Syracuse Basketball team.

Winning is the entertainment for this sports community - not the opponent, not the conference, not the rivalries, not the style of offense.

If you really think that an "exciting team" that loses will draw the CNY fan you're fooling yourself.

It is and always has been about winning in our community - that will fill the Dome. And if the team loses the fans will stay away in droves.
I don't understand why you struggle to accept that winning can't do it alone.

If I remember correctly, SU football has only offically sold out the dome once.

I wonder if Syracuse is doing the same as FSU to help attract season ticket holders?

"Indeed, athletic departments have been forced to get creative to try to sell tickets and attract more fans. FSU has started meetings twice a week featuring people in the marketing, digital media, ticketing and sports information departments, along with boosters. The goal is to figure out ways to reach fans who are not ticket holders just yet."

anomander said:
I wonder if Syracuse is doing the same as FSU to help attract season ticket holders? "Indeed, athletic departments have been forced to get creative to try to sell tickets and attract more fans. FSU has started meetings twice a week featuring people in the marketing, digital media, ticketing and sports information departments, along with boosters. The goal is to figure out ways to reach fans who are not ticket holders just yet."

No.

No.

and here i was holding out hope that all that silver reflecting off everyone's eyes would have actually woke some people up...

well i guess we can always go 12-0

I don't understand why you struggle to accept that winning can't do it alone.

Winning is 99.999999999999991% of the battle. We'll average three more fans per game if its due to a high powered "exciting" offense vs a stingy defense and a 1960's running game.

Seriously - the hoops team has had fun-and-gun seasons and seasons of endless rock fights. If the team is top 5, we get great crowds. If its a borderline NCAA/NIT team, we don't. So it's really unclear to me why you think "entertaining" is even close to the same magnitude of importance as "winning". It's not in Syracuse (or anywhere in the Northeast).

Other than the Chicago Cubs, does any loser draw a lot of fans?