Attitude vs Accolades and Ceiling | Syracusefan.com

Attitude vs Accolades and Ceiling

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
What kind of recruit does Syracuse football need to get us back into top 25 contention?

This is not a thread to try and make excuses (not that any are needed) for our program not landing 4 or 5 star athletes consistently or at all.

This is a thread that acknowledges a lot of SU past and recent success was built on the backs of 2, 3 and 4 star recruits who either bought into a system, coach or refused to lose.

Who is the Syracuse University football player?

Who do we need to land to finish building the foundation in 2020-2021?

Who allows Dino and SU to maximize their potential?

What kind of recruit does Syracuse football need to get us back into top 25 contention?

This is not a thread to try and make excuses (not that any are needed) for our program not landing 4 or 5 star athletes consistently or at all.

This is a thread that acknowledges a lot of SU past and recent success was built on the backs of 2, 3 and 4 star recruits who either bought into a system, coach or refused to lose.

My opinion is that we need a Dior Johnson type of recruit that will help us attract other stars. I think the only way we get this guy is if he is local

My opinion is that we need a Dior Johnson type of recruit that will help us attract other stars. I think the only way we get this guy is if he is local
Seems we’re down 0-2 in the count lately between Robert Washington and Tyrone Sampson with these types of guys.

Good question. I'm not sure there is one specific answer. My first thought is that we need to catch lightening in a bottle like we did with Dungey, McNabb, Freeny to turn the program around. Attitude, leadership, will to win, love of the game are all necessary. But, we need to combine that with a player or 2 with transcendent talent; or at the very least the type of talent that other teams need to scheme against and game plan for. Stereotypically, this will be a QB, followed by WR, CB, pass rusher, or dominant lineman.

We did it 2018 (10 wins, almost top 25) with our best QB in recent years, who could run better than he could pass (though good enough as a passer), multi-year starters at the OT spots, and a couple of draft-pick caliber DLs in Slayton and Robinson, with Coleman not far behind. We had a ball hawk in the secondary in the true frosh Cisco.

The rest of the lineup was solid, experienced, but not spectacular. SU has to have that QB who can make plays and offset pressure, strength at OTs and DEs, and a small handful of other star players. And some luck. It won’t make for a consistent top 25 result —not unless the top 10 guys in our recruiting classes are a match for our peer schools (BC, Pitt, Maryland).

In football today I'd say it's definitely the QB position, someone like McNabb or even Dungey. In the past you could have a generational talent like Freeney and be top 25 good, but it's tougher now a days for a player to elevate his team outside of the QB position.

I feel the two things that could automatically enhance this team is OL play and stronger tackling on D. We won five games last year with the worst OL in the country and lost several games in poor tackling.
I’m hoping the tackling is improved based on change of scheme and staff.
OL is my biggest concern. I will start that I am not a fan of cavenaugh. I place a lot of last years problem on him (my opinion others I am sure will disagree) in this current recruiting cycle we have no oline commits. Pitt has three two that we offered. If we cannot recruit solid oline commits we will never be a consist winning team.
If we can land several higher end Oline commits I feel we will start winning at least 7 to 9 games a year.
The coaching staff has been good at finding good players that fit the system at the other positions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom