Autry’s Recruiting | Syracusefan.com

Autry’s Recruiting

Cappy3

Walk On
I know a lot of guys are criticizing Autry’s recruiting, both hs and portal. I’ve read posts saying he can’t close the deal. But mext year we will, in all likelihood, have a starting five including two McDonald’s All Americas (Starling and Freeman) both of whom came on board under Autry. I’m not sure when the last time we started two McDs AAs was, maybe the 1990s? Anyway, seems not too shabby to me.

I know a lot of guys are criticizing Autry’s recruiting, both hs and portal. I’ve read posts saying he can’t close the deal. But mext year we will, in all likelihood, have a starting five including two McDonald’s All Americas (Starling and Freeman) both of whom came on board under Autry. I’m not sure when the last time we started two McDs AAs was, maybe the 1990s? Anyway, seems not too shabby to me.
We had a stretch during our most recent “golden era” where we did quite often. MCW and Rak, Flynn and Devo, Flynn and Donte, Fab and Rak (albeit token start). Last time technically was 2016 with Malachi and DaJuan, but it doesn’t happen too often.

We had a stretch during our most recent “golden era” where we did quite often. MCW and Rak, Flynn and Devo, Flynn and Donte, Fab and Rak (albeit token start). Last time technically was 2016 with Malachi and DaJuan, but it doesn’t happen too often.
Forgot Rak and DaJuan were McDs, but shoulda remembered Flynn and Donte.

Yeah, he is doing fine. This was his first real recruiting year and he brought in Freeman and Moore. Pretty good in my book. I think this portal class will be pretty good. We missed on a few guys. I wanted Leffew more than most but that is recruiting. I suspect we will have a very good recruiting year this year with hs kids.

I think Red overall is doing alright. Crazy landscape right now. Things you can and can't do. First college couldn't legally pay players and next year they can. Nil and nil. Agents everywhere. No way to secure players and is year to year for really everyone on the team. At multiple times players can bail. Lots of backdoor selling.

I didn’t expect a crazy get but a guy like Leffew not coming here was bad but when we tried to get Richmond,Mack and if Reynolds entered the portal one of them would of really moved the needle and definitly still could of got Carlos with them
Personally not that concerned about Leffew. He wasn’t a true point guard, and his assist/to ratio was worse than Mintz. We’re better off with Carlos imo.

is it even possible anymore to say who is a good or bad recruiter as opposed to who visits recruits with the biggest bag ?

OK we have our first ten guys, but I think everybody agrees we need one or two more.

Those last two guys will be a big test for Red, not that we shouldnt get who we target at this stage of the game, but can we identify under the radar guys who can contribute.

Who did people expect? I think Red was like Herb Brooks in Miracle. He wanted the right guys. Time will tell if he got it right. But given our budget, I wonder if we did as well as could be expected.

I have questioned the budget throughout and there is no way for an average fan to have any sense as to whether there is enough money to compete at the highest level, but it certainly doesn’t seem like it.

If Leffew was any better than a third choice I strongly disagree that they were seeking the right guys. Plus all the talk about cleaning house and getting rid of trouble makers and chaos, but we lose Maliq and get the circus that is Hellcat Eddie. I hope he justifies the money he extorted. Sucked that we wiffed on a top flight pg.

The results will speak for themselves and I hope I am wrong, but at this point I am skeptical. Come on Donnie, Chance and Eddie, make me look like a fool!

I like the overall flavor of your post but what bothers most is whiffing on the kind of PG we were expecting and really needing. Not too many people on this board would have guessed we would have landed where we did. That's what is disappointing to me. That said, I like the other pieces we got, especially Eddie even though I don't like how he pulled more money out of us and almost left us high and dry. Also, you never know, but maybe with the guys we have we will be okay at PG. I'm a little skeptical but it's certainly possible. I do think that we will be a better "team" than last year but who knows how that will translate in wins.

I like the overall flavor of your post but what bothers most is whiffing on the kind of PG we were expecting and really needing. Not too many people on this board would have guessed we would have landed where we did. That's what is disappointing to me. That said, I like the other pieces we got, especially Eddie even though I don't like how he pulled more money out of us and almost left us high and dry. Also, you never know, but maybe with the guys we have we will be okay at PG. I'm a little skeptical but it's certainly possible. I do think that we will be a better "team" than last year but who knows how that will translate in wins.
I think the kind of PG we need is Carlos. I just want a guy that can spell him when necessary. But we've been crying out for a pass-first natural point for years now. Glad we have one.

I think the kind of PG we need is Carlos. I just want a guy that can spell him when necessary. But we've been crying out for a pass-first natural point for years now. Glad we have one.
I would agree with your comment. I'm just not sold on him being good enough doing it. Just because he's a classic PG doesn't mean that he will be effective in this role. I have no idea. The coaches certainly know more than I do so here is to hoping they're right!

Backup PG is definitely an issue.

Waiting to see who we add but expect by committee. Plus multiple ball handlers and ball movers is certainly the look of this team so that takes some heat off of the backup pg spot. To me Chance was built for that role if we need to have it locked down. He is the do it all player

Waiting to see who we add but expect by committee. Plus multiple ball handlers and ball movers is certainly the look of this team so that takes some heat off of the backup pg spot. To me Chance was built for that role if we need to have it locked down. He is the do it all player
I hope so but won't believe that until we know he isn't injured.

Looking at the RSCI rankings of players who actually made it to campus, Starling and Westry would have been the highest rated class since Cooney, MCW and Christmas, back a long long time ago.

I think Autry has done pretty well recruiting and coaching so far.

He's going to need to get better, but not a bad start.

When Red took over as coach he came out strong on the recruiting front, both with High School and Portal. However, his second year hasn’t been as strong. He’s lost some of that early momentum he used after being named head coach. He really needs to land some top tier recruits in the coming months.

Who did people expect? I think Red was like Herb Brooks in Miracle. He wanted the right guys. Time will tell if he got it right. But given our budget, I wonder if we did as well as could be expected.
You said the word that the posters on this forum hate to hear. "Budget". Now this thread will be taken over by the peanut gallery yet again.

When Red took over as coach he came out strong on the recruiting front, both with High School and Portal. However, his second year hasn’t been as strong. He’s lost some of that early momentum he used after being named head coach. He really needs to land some top tier recruits in the coming months.
Because when you first take over you can sell your vision and how you’ll run your offense and how youll play defense. But now there’s a year of tape out there on Reds current offense; I think the personnel was lacking last year to be a good offense (not all of Reds fault). But now that he’s got his first pair of big recruits coming in, 2 solid returning upperclassmen who will start, they got the PG they “loved”, etc - Reds fingerprints on on this team.

If Donnie plays well and our offense is exciting and fast paced - the recruiting will most definitely heat up.

Because when you first take over you can sell your vision and how you’ll run your offense and how youll play defense. But now there’s a year of tape out there on Reds current offense; I think the personnel was lacking last year to be a good offense (not all of Reds fault). But now that he’s got his first pair of big recruits coming in, 2 solid returning upperclassmen who will start, they got the PG they “loved”, etc - Reds fingerprints on on this team.

If Donnie plays well and our offense is exciting and fast paced - the recruiting will most definitely heat up.

If Lampkin walks all the talk too it can certainly boost our big man recruiting to go with

For decades, Syracuse always had 7-8 ranked players in every single roster. The last roster with 8 was 16-17. Suddenly, like a faucet turning off, it stopped. Instead of a roster full of ranked guys, we now had 1-2, maybe 3 players on the RSCI lists. And each year, one of the RSCI guys was a bust. By 19-20, the only RSCI players were Goodine and Carey. 20-21, Kadary Richmond.

It's pretty crazy to see, in only two years, we now have Freeman, Moore, Westry, Starling and White to add to Bell, our only RSCI player left over from JB's final years. If we add Anthony and one of the ranked PG we're recruiting so heavily, we will be back to 8 after only two offseasons of Red Autry as head coach.

When considering if he can recruit, put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Last edited:
For decades, Syracuse always had 7-8 ranked players in every single roster. The last roster with 8 was 16-17. Suddenly, like a faucet turning off, it stopped. Instead of a roster full of ranked guys, we now had 1-2, maybe 3 players on the RSCI lists. And each year, one of the RSCI guys was a bust. By 19-20, the only RSCI players were Goodine and Carey. 20-21, Kadary Richmond.

It's pretty crazy to see, in only two years, we now have Freeman, Moore, Westry, Starling and White to add to Bell, our only RSCI player left over from JB's final years. If we add Anthony and one of the ranked PG we're recruiting so heavily, we will be back to 8 after only two offseasons of Red Autry as head coach.

When considering if he can recruit, put that in your pipe and smoke it.

He's doing a great job with high school recruiting. In the old era we'd all be extremely confident. Portal recruiting isn't as good, but portal recruiting is definitely way more dependent on NIL -- proven players looking for a pay day. When the structure changes, or under the current structure if he inspires confidence and gets more NIL donations, I'm confident he'll recruit the portal better. If anything he needs to work on his recruiting pitch to boosters.

He's doing a great job with high school recruiting. In the old era we'd all be extremely confident. Portal recruiting isn't as good, but portal recruiting is definitely way more dependent on NIL -- proven players looking for a pay day. When the structure changes, or under the current structure if he inspires confidence and gets more NIL donations, I'm confident he'll recruit the portal better. If anything he needs to work on his recruiting pitch to boosters.
I was doing a puff piece, of course, so didn't focus on the negatives... One area where Autry doesn't appear to have excelled is driving NIL investment.

Fran Brown came in and immediately killed it, which led directly to our huge recruiting offseason.

I think his transfer recruiting was fine, with Westry and Starling being the best examples. But they were really high school recruits who dodged JB and then fixed their decision when he "retired."

As the Lampkin saga really highlighted, NIL funds are critical to portal success. I think Red really made mistakes in "holding the line" during negotiations, and losing players that otherwise would have come here. Maybe that's a budget issue, or maybe Red just showed his inexperience in this sort of negotiating.

It isn't like we'd been paying players for decades, like Calipari, for instance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom