Avery Johnson canned...does Deron Williams strike again? | Syracusefan.com

Avery Johnson canned...does Deron Williams strike again?

Deron Williams, Joe Johnson and Gerald Wallace is not winning you a championship. When your best player has no heart, you're not going anywhere.

cant wait for Deron to reminisce about the system Avery was running.

What has happened to Deron Williams? He went from 57-58% trueshooting% to low 50's.

Deron isn't in Utah anymore. Spotlight is a lot brighter on a coach-killing star when you are playing in the city.

He's probably the worst franchise player in the league.

The tweets coming out over this are hilarious. Here is one I just saw...

“He no could win, so we set him on fire. Yes?....No? We just fire? What is difference? " - Prokhorov

Hmm, worst max player?

Maybe Amare? Though no one would argue he is the Knicks franchise player.
I should expand on the thought.

There are certain things you expect from a franchise player. First, they should be your best player. Second, they should be a team leader. Third, they should be the face of the franchise.

Williams is their best player. He's not a leader. And that is one surly bastard to be the face of your franchise.

He's a really good basketball player but he brings nothing else to the table, and takes a bunch of things off of it. You demand more from a franchise guy.

I would say JJ and DW are two of the top 7 most unappealing max players in the game.

There are certain things you expect from a franchise player. First, they should be your best player. Second, they should be a team leader. Third, they should be the face of the franchise.

Williams is their best player. He's not a leader. And that is one surly ******* to be the face of your franchise.

He's a really good basketball player but he brings nothing else to the table, and takes a bunch of things off of it. You demand more from a franchise guy.
He's really terrible on defense at times too. I would not want him on my team.

Williams is their best player. He's not a leader. And that is one surly ******* to be the face of your franchise.

Ok I follow. Yeah he seems to be kinda moody. And probably most importantly, he isn't nearly as good a player as he used to be.

Knicks fans came a James Dolan power play away from having D-Will as our franchise player. Donnie Walsh for all the good he did would've held out longer on the deal and probably made the move with Utah instead with D'Antoni's blessing.

Knicks fans came a James Dolan power play away from having D-Will as our franchise player. Donnie Walsh for all the good he did would've held out longer on the deal and probably made the move with Utah instead with D'Antoni's blessing.

The funny thing is at the time, Melo and Deron were very comparable players. I don't know what happened; I know he had a wrist injury at one point, but he just hasn't been the same player fo nearly 2 years.

I'm wondering how much more dominant the Knicks would be, if they didn't panic when they didnt get Lebron. There was just no reason to throw all that cash at Amare.

I guess hindsight is always 20/20...but you had to be wary of his knees. Ah well...they are still at the top of the NBA anyway.

The funny thing is at the time, Melo and Deron were very comparable players. I don't know what happened; I know he had a wrist injury at one point, but he just hasn't been the same player fo nearly 2 years.
He was a product of Sloan to some extent.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Deron is the ultimate "player you watch and say...wait he's supposed to be great".

Never been all that impressed by DWill. Not great at anything. Yeah he's good but he's not great. He reminds me of Andre Miller, maybe a better shooter but not as good of a passer. Not very athletic either (comparitively speaking of course).

Which makes him getting Sloan fired all the funnier in retrospect
Yep. I don't consider Williams to be all that intelligent either.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

If they were still in NJ, Avery would still be coaching away and Williams would still be as most of said the worst max player in the league, the lights are brighter but the Nets still stink... Lopez can't stay healthy, JJ and Williams are horribly inconsisent. Kardashian is a solid role player even though he is a dink. They just aren't very good, again you can take the Nets out of Jersey but they are still the Nets, raise the expectations all you want, they still have second rate franchise talent with a nice new home. You can only put so much lipstick on a pig.. Avery is not a very good coach either...

Maybe Phil Jackson has a bug up his ass.

Not a Williams fan but he is taking too much heat here. He is at around 17/8/3 while not having many shooters to dish to, not to mention no low post presence for most of the season. He has had some nagging dings so give him a SF that is a threat to make a jumper and a center that can stay on the court and he is a 23/10 guy, providing he can find his confidence again. Utah was just a btter team for him to excel.

Utah was just a btter team for him to excel.
I get that the Jazz aren't a "cool" franchise and a lot of NBA free agents aren't interested in living in Utah, but man, the Jazz run a smart operation. They always find a way to compete.

Not a Williams fan but he is taking too much heat here. He is at around 17/8/3 while not having many shooters to dish to, not to mention no low post presence for most of the season. He has had some nagging dings so give him a SF that is a threat to make a jumper and a center that can stay on the court and he is a 23/10 guy, providing he can find his confidence again. Utah was just a btter team for him to excel.
I dont think Blatche is a scrub though. He still has Joe Johnson and Gerald Wallace. Kris Humphries is an above average player. Joe Johnson gets plenty of heat in NY already, they call him Casper the Friendly Ghost for his disappearing acts during games. Deron is just now catching heat because hes been meh all year, starts speaking out when things go south and then ta-da Avery gets fired.

...not to mention no low post presence for most of the season.

Brook Lopez is a top 10 low post player in the NBA right now...maybe top 5.
He's missed 7 out of 28 games.

Brook Lopez is a top 10 low post player in the NBA right now...maybe top 5.
He's missed 7 out of 28 games.
Exactly, how many teams have a better Center rotation than Brooklyn. Bropez and Blatche. Thats pretty good. Along with Joe Johnson and Gerald Wallace what else does Deron Williams need?