Awful opinions you've had (kinda OT) | Syracusefan.com

Awful opinions you've had (kinda OT)

H

HOFCeluck

What awful sports opinions have you had/posted? Some of mine:

I thought Florida was a fluke and they wouldn't come close to replicating what they did in 2006.

I thought it would be great if we got Carmelo, but the guy I really wanted was Travis Garrison.

I thought Paul Harris would be a superstar (LOL that shouldn't even count) but I didn't understand why we were wasting a scholarship on his classmate.

I thought the Eagles would win at least one Super Bowl while I lived there.

This is fun. I guess it's more or less a given, but ditto on the Harris one. (Although I think he's sold a little short these days.)

I thought Demetris Nichols was a sure-fire NBA player. I still don't get how he didn't get at least a couple cups of coffee. Six-seven athlete who could shoot? What.

I definitely compared Jonny Flynn to Chris Paul multiple times, although I was very drunk for at least some of them.

I spent three and a half years bagging on Shabbaz Nappier as possibly the most team-destroying player in college basketball.

I didn't think Dion Waiters would be able to score in the NBA as he was in college.

I thought Etan Thomas was too short to stick in the NBA.

Last year, I really thought Jabari Parker was going to have a Carmelo-like NCAA tournament.

I thought GMac would make a poor coach. (This was based, of course, on my zero minutes of contact with GMac.)

If Manute Bol could do it, why not Billy Celuck? (Okay, I never thought this.)

When I was 15, I thought I'd kill someone if Elvir Ovcina shot another three pointer. He did and I didn't.

Thought Robinson Cano wouldn't last in the bigs because of poor plate discipline.

Thought Fab Melo would end up being a starter in the NBA for at least a couple of years. Thought he was too athletic and tall to be this big of a bust.

Thought Billy Edilen was lottery pick material.

Thought it was a mistake when Brady started over Bledsoe.

That's enough of making myself look stupid. :)

I have a ton that I will think of later but these are the first to come to mind

I thought Scott McCorkle always deserved more playing time. Yes, on rosters with Moten. Autry, Owens, Dave Johnson and others- I thought Scott deserved more time.

1991 - We had just lost to Richmond and the NCAA was on our trail. I insisted this Boeheim guy absolutely needed to go.

Every year when I fill out my March Madness bracket.

I was all in on Drew Allen. I thought any QB that Oklahoma recruited had to be great.

Thought when we got the Wrights they'd be very productive players for the Orange.

Matt Gorman....same as above.

For a nano second I thought Joe Fields was our answer at QB.

I was positive that Earl Duncan would be the starting PG after Pearl departed.

I said that Dion would be an NBA All-star by his second year.

I was sure we could NEVER make the Final Four with Craig Forth at center.

Even after he left here I said that Winfred Walton would be in the Hall of Fame, and can't believe that they figured out that I took his SAT test.

After we lost to Georgetown in the first round of the Big East Tournament with Etan and Jason Hart I said the zone should be forever scrapped.

People should be required to pass an intelligence test before being allowed to breed... oh wait, you said sports-related

In that case, I still think the zone is a gimmicky defense that has the tendency to negate our athletic superiority over lesser teams.

I thought Rick Mount, Al Wood, Roosevelt Chapman and Lawrence Moten would all be serious scoring studs in the NBA.

edit: I was also convinced Reggie Williams (from Georgetown) was the second coming of George Gervin.

Last edited:
I thought Demetris Nichols was a sure-fire NBA player. I still don't get how he didn't get at least a couple cups of coffee. Six-seven athlete who could shoot? What.

I completely agree (and props to you for not spelling it Demetrius). I never thought in a million years that Warrick's game would translate to a better NBA career than Nichols'.

I thought Donovan McNabb was the answer to my Vikings problems.
I thought the Yankees would beat the Red Sox Game 7 in the 2004 ALCS.
Not sure this qualifies as an awful opinion or not but I can not stand the following players: Larry Bird, Joe Montana, Pete Rose.
I thought the Yankees would win more than 1 WS after 2000.

After we lost to Georgetown in the first round of the Big East Tournament with Etan and Jason Hart I said the zone should be forever scrapped.

I think that game is the most devastating SU non-NCAA tourney loss of the past 15-20 years.

I thought Josh Wright would be the next great Syracuse Point Guard.

I thought we wasted a scholarship on Andy Rautins.

I thought Terrance Roberts and Darryl Watkins would be the most impressive front line since DC and Seikaly.

I thought Drew Brees had a career ending injury in 2005.

I thought Derek Jeter was a one year wonder in 1996. Same with Tom Brady in 2001.

I thought Ryan Nassib would be a solid NFL starter.

I thought we would beat Oklahoma in 2009.

I thought Brandon Triche drew a block against Jordan Morgan in 2013.

I thought Kentucky was going to crap out this year (2013-2014) and Cal would be on the hot seat and possibly even fired after another disappointing season with the best recruiting classes.

I think that Syracuse will go to the Final Four every year.

I thought that Madei Williams had the tools to be the next great QB at Syracuse, carrying on our run of sustained excellence at the position.

I thought that Ethan Cole was going to shock the world and give us reasonable production in the pivot replacing the departed Etan Thomas.

I thought that the world was coming to an end when we didn't land Julius Hodge.

i thought lobdell was the steal of the century

i thought the nichols/trob/watkins/louie recruiting class would lead to another NC

i thought mcnabb/shanny were going to turn the redskins into a winning team

After 1992 I was sure that USA basketball would never lose again in international basketball

I bought a bunch of Shawn Kemp NBA rookie cards because I knew that he was going to be an NBA Hall of Famer

I worked at Arizona State while James Harden was there and was convinced that he was a great college scorer whose game wouldn't translate to the NBA

Apparently I'm not the only one who was sure that Nichols/Roberts/Watkins would be a juggernaut. To be fair, they showed so many flashes of potential early on.

I didn't think that Darryl Gross would last long at all in Syracuse

I thought that Madei Williams had the tools to be the next great QB at Syracuse, carrying on our run of sustained excellence at the position.

I thought that Ethan Cole was going to shock the world and give us reasonable production in the pivot replacing the departed Etan Thomas.

I thought that the world was coming to an end when we didn't land Julius Hodge.

Ethan Cole got me too. I thought for sure he would at least be a solid contributor at this level.

I thought Josh Wright would be the next great Syracuse Point Guard.

I thought we wasted a scholarship on Andy Rautins.

I thought Terrance Roberts and Darryl Watkins would be the most impressive front line since DC and Seikaly.

I thought Drew Brees had a career ending injury in 2005.

I thought Derek Jeter was a one year wonder in 1996. Same with Tom Brady in 2001.

I thought Ryan Nassib would be a solid NFL starter.

I thought we would beat Oklahoma in 2009.

I thought Brandon Triche drew a block against Jordan Morgan in 2013.

Roberts and Watkins for me also. I kept thinking THIS was the year they would explode.

Ethan Cole got me too. I thought for sure he would at least be a solid contributor at this level.

I'm not saying that I expected him to be an NBA player or anything. Igor takes a lot of flak over his infamous Ethan Cole take, but I will say this: back when I lived in CNY and was going to preseason practices several times a week, it was pretty startling to see what a good athlete Cole was. Big, strong, fast, decent skills. He went head-to-head with Etan Thomas--who ended up being a lottery pick--every day and held his own. Again, not saying that he was "better" than Thomas, just that he was a good enough athlete who was strong enough to tangle with him in the post. Cole would have really helped us in 2000-2001, but he had such fragile confidence, once he got off to a poor start that year, he was toast.