Awful opinions you've had (kinda OT) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Awful opinions you've had (kinda OT)

I thought LaSean Howard was going to be a stud.

I thought Rak would be our most talented offensive post player since Hak (he's still got a year to prove me right, I guess).

I thought Drew Allen was the answer.

I thought Billy Edelin would play in the NBA.

I thought, during his freshman year, Marquis Spruill was a sure fire second round pick (maybe even first).

I wished like crazy two years ago we'd stop giving Jerome Smith carries and just give the ball to PTG.

I thought our streak of futility against Pitt was about to end because we just landed Dayshaun Wright.

I thought the loss to Georgetown in the 2000 BET was a clear sign that the game had passed Jim Boeheim.

I thought Rak would be our most talented offensive post player since Hak (he's still got a year to prove me right, I guess).

I thought Rak was going to explode his Sophmor year...and for four straight years said the same thing about Craig Forth.

I completely agree (and props to you for not spelling it Demetrius). I never thought in a million years that Warrick's game would translate to a better NBA career than Nichols'.

I do wonder if Nichols was somewhat unlucky on timing. He came a couple years before the NBA at large really got religion on three point shooting -that skill is probably more highly valued now than it was in 2007.

I thought Rak was going to explode his Sophmor year...and for four straight years said the same thing about Craig Forth.
I'll speak for my brother: after watching Forth's first exhibition game as a freshman, my brother thought that, being a 7 footer who passed well and could hit a 15 footer as a freshman, he would play in the NBA.

Great thread.

I thought both James Harden and Russell Westbrook would be busts in the NBA.

I thought Adam Morrison was the next Larry Bird.

I didn't think Kawhi Leonard had an NBA position, or an NBA skill, coming out of college (undersized 4).

I thought Marcus Williams from UConn and Kendall Marshall from UNC would both be NBA all-stars.

I thought these cell phones thingies were a passing fad when they first came out - who needs a phone on them at all times?

I thought the UFC would be only behind the NFL and NBA in terms of sports popularity by now

I still don't understand why Pitt isn't in the final four every year, based on how they play us

Last edited:
I thought Pitt would make a deep run in the NCAA tournament during the ___ season.

I thought we shouldn't have given Andy Rautins a scholarship.

I thought when we missed out on Tobias HArris our team would stink the next year.

I didn't think Kevin Ollie would be all that good of a coach.

I thought MCW would be an NBA bust.

I thought Jonny Flynn would be an NBA success.

I have a ton that I will think of later but these are the first to come to mind

I thought Scott McCorkle always deserved more playing time. Yes, on rosters with Moten. Autry, Owens, Dave Johnson and others- I thought Scott deserved more time.

This wasn't awful at all - you were right to think that! Injuries and his inability to stay out of Boeheim's dog house made this impossible.

I thought DaShonte Riley would be at worst a solid contributor.

I thought that Craig Forth and Mookie Watkins would both be All-Big East players.

I thought that Tyler Ennis would be a four-year player. (Still am surprised that his draft stock stayed high enough to convince him to leave and I'm skeptical about his potential to succeed; we can revisit that on the "Awful opinions you've had" thread in another decade.)

I predicted that both Roger Cedeno and Octavio Dotel would be All-Stars during their careers in New York.

I thought SU was as close to a Final Four lock as anyone could be (more so than Illinois or North Carolina, for sure) in 2005.

And the most absurd: in 1997, I told anyone who would listen that Syracuse was going to have consecutive Heisman winners in McNabb and Spotwood.

I thought Jason Kubel would win an AL Batting title.

I thought Pearl would play in many NBA all star games.

For a period of time, I thought Billy Edelin was the best point guard in college basketball, yet he wasn't even the point guard on his own team.

I thought Carlos Beltran would get a hit off Wainwright.

I thought Gregg Jefferies would complete year in and out with Strawberry for the NL MVP and World Series MVPs for the Mets.

I though the Giants were cooked with Hostetler.

I thought Charles Smith could dunk.

I thought Carlos Beltran would get a hit off Wainwright.

I thought Gregg Jefferies would complete year in and out with Strawberry for the NL MVP and World Series MVPs for the Mets.

I though the Giants were cooked with Hostetler.

I thought Charles Smith could dunk.

I thought John Starks would be the MVP of the 94 finals after game 6.

What awful sports opinions have you had/posted? Some of mine:

I thought Florida was a fluke and they wouldn't come close to replicating what they did in 2006.

I thought it would be great if we got Carmelo, but the guy I really wanted was Travis Garrison.

I thought Paul Harris would be a superstar (LOL that shouldn't even count) but I didn't understand why we were wasting a scholarship on his classmate.

I thought the Eagles would win at least one Super Bowl while I lived there.

My biggest one is I had a ticket to go to the Nebraska home game Sept. 30, 1984 and I decided not to go because I thought they were going to get crushed. I stayed at my room, did laundry, and some homework. I didn't even watch the game on TV so I had no idea what happened. I started to get wind of something from all the shouting and crowds of students running down Euclid Ave towards Marshal street. I did enjoy the victory party at Marshall street!!!

I thought Devan Brennan McBride would blow up but I didn't think he would blow out.
I thought that last years UConn team would collapse.

There's not a single brave soul who wants to admit they were wrong about UConn last year? Is that the elephant in the thread? :)

I think it's a given. Kinda like Paul Harris.