AWIII | Syracusefan.com

AWIII

PoppyHart

All American
43% from the field on the season. 32 minutes per game.

In the 5 "real" games (yes, Monmouth, I've acknowledged you), he's 21-65 (32%) and playing 37 minutes per game.

I think he's covered in teflon.

Have a feeling that everybody outside of MAYBE DC looks like garbage against the teams we've played that are Monmouth and better.

In the 5 "real" games (yes, Monmouth, I've acknowledged you), he's 21-65 (32%) and playing 37 minutes per game.

That's how the numbers for most players would shake out against the better competition. He's more of a one dimensional jumpshooter than I had hoped, and his shot selection is not always the best, but since he's been tasked with being a primary scorer I will not come down hard on the guy.

AW3 is a really nice complementary piece. But it's hard for your #1 option on offense to be a stand still shooter who relies on someone getting him the ball in the perfect spot. He drove a little more vs. GTOwn which was nice to see. This team will be at it's best if Lydon is leading us in scoring, which takes some of the focus off AW3.

AWIII would be a great player to have if our point guards could literally do anything.

Instead we have to run him off weakass screens and hope the defender somehow trips over air because it sure as hell won't be from the screen. Then White can raise up for a semi-contested three that so far he's only shown he can consistently hit against cupcakes.

I do feel he is a good shooter who will have big games against some good competition but if we're trying to make a spot up jump shooter "the guy" than our coaches are more lost than I ever imagined.

AWIII would be a great player to have if our point guards could literally do anything.

Instead we have to run him off weakass screens and hope the defender somehow trips over air because it sure as hell won't be from the screen. Then White can raise up for a semi-contested three that so far he's only shown he can consistently hit against cupcakes.

I do feel he is a good shooter who will have big games against some good competition but if we're trying to make a spot up jump shooter "the guy" than our coaches are more lost than I ever imagined.
This kid averaged 18ppg at Nebraska. Outside of being a good shooter, he isn't a system fit offensively. JB likes to let his guards freestyle and make plays themselves - which works when you have someone like MCW or Ennis or even G. But AW3 is only effective if sets get run specifically for him - that's not the kind of offense we are. We don't run sophisticated offensive sets - JB sets ball screens then relies on his players to make plays. All of the good shooters we've had recently have been able to put the ball on the deck and create for themselves (even Cooney!). Lydon is different because he can score at all 3 levels, but AW3's game isn't a great fit for JB's offense this year. If Frank starts penetrating; if Gillon starts either finishing around the rim or dishing it back out when he gets amongst the trees; and if Lydon plays like he did yesterday - I think AW3 will improve. He needs to be around a set of players that can create for him and themselves. AW3 would have been perfect on that Ennis/Cooney/Fair team.

This kid averaged 18ppg at Nebraska. Outside of being a good shooter, he isn't a system fit offensively. JB likes to let his guards freestyle and make plays themselves - which works when you have someone like MCW or Ennis or even G. But AW3 is only effective if sets get run specifically for him - that's not the kind of offense we are. We don't run sophisticated offensive sets - JB sets ball screens then relies on his players to make plays. All of the good shooters we've had recently have been able to put the ball on the deck and create for themselves (even Cooney!). Lydon is different because he can score at all 3 levels, but AW3's game isn't a great fit for JB's offense.
Well, ta-da! There's the problem...

Tell me any other coach in America that a player like Andrew White wouldn't be a fit for offensively?

That would be no other coaches.. Because other coaches run offensive sets more sophisticated than middle school.

Well, ta-da! There's the problem...

Tell me any other coach in America that a player like Andrew White wouldn't be a fit for offensively?

That would be no other coaches.. Because other coaches run offensive sets more sophisticated than middle school.
This year it's personnel though. I do agree with you, but we don't have strong guard play and I think that's what is hurting us more than anything. JB can draw up the most sophisticated sets in the world, but right now our 2 PGs are a mess. One turns it over non stop and the other can get into the lane but has no idea what to do once he gets in there.

AW3 is a really nice complementary piece. But it's hard for your #1 option on offense to be a stand still shooter who relies on someone getting him the ball in the perfect spot. He drove a little more vs. GTOwn which was nice to see. This team will be at it's best if Lydon is leading us in scoring, which takes some of the focus off AW3.
we could be talking about Cooney

we could be talking about Cooney
I had issues with COoney a lot - but Cooney was a capable ball handler and last year did start to penetrate more - granted Cooney is a guard and AW3 is a SF. Cooney also had those games where he would NEVER miss, he would take over. I don't think AW3 has that level.
Without Cooney we lose to UNC by 40 in the FF last year

What's his Effective FG% or TS%? FG% alone doesn't tell us much

I had issues with COoney a lot - but Cooney was a capable ball handler and last year did start to penetrate more - granted Cooney is a guard and AW3 is a SF. Cooney also had those games where he would NEVER miss, he would take over. I don't think AW3 has that level.
Without Cooney we lose to UNC by 40 in the FF last year
Exactly, but was "complimentary piece", not going to be "#1 option", "stand still shooter, relies on getting ball in perfect spot". That was Cooney, who i liked. And then at the latter part of his career started putting the ball on the floor. Not picking fight, just pointing out similarities in critique. AW3, hopefully, does the same thing

I have been surprised at his lack of rebounding and quite frankly how he seems streaky. He has some misses that are not close.

He isn't the problem. If anything, the rest of the team has let him down. He might be wishing he stayed at Nebraska.

I understand your point but silent G did more than enough to be called capable last year.

I'm using a pretty narrow definition. He did a fine job but again we were in a position where we had to convert a small forward.

I'm using a pretty narrow definition. He did a fine job but again we were in a position where we had to convert a small forward.
I understood that. I don't disagree at all.

We are going on three seasons without a capable PG.
Ennis leaving earlier than expected. Kaleb being a massive flop. Jury still out on Howard. Missed on Quade. We need to hit a HR with our next PG recruit.

Why does he shoot fade away FT's? This is my only problem with him.

Ennis leaving earlier than expected. Kaleb being a massive flop. Jury still out on Howard. Missed on Quade. We need to hit a HR with our next PG recruit.

And how up is that? Hart, Griffin, GMAC, Edelin, Flynn, Jardine, Troche, MCW, Ennis, then no one. We may have had to scrap for a year with a Wright or a Thues (who I never thought was THAT bad) but this is ridiculous.

And how up is that? Hart, Griffin, GMAC, Edelin, Flynn, Jardine, Troche, MCW, Ennis, then no one. We may have had to scrap for a year with a Wright or a Thues (who I never thought was THAT bad) but this is ridiculous.
I still think Ennis leaving early f*ed everything up. Who knows - maybe after sitting a year behind Ennis then getting the keys as a sophomore, Kaleb would have been a lot better. Instead, he was thrown to the sharks and it crushed his confidence.

Your list is great though - so people who complain about development should look at who you just listed. It's not that didn't develop Jospeh or Howard (yet) - but maybe they just don't have it. JB and his staff has a history of developing PG's.

I still think Ennis leaving early f*ed everything up. Who knows - maybe after sitting a year behind Ennis then getting the keys as a sophomore, Kaleb would have been a lot better. Instead, he was thrown to the sharks and it crushed his confidence.

Your list is great though - so people who complain about development should look at who you just listed. It's not that didn't develop Jospeh or Howard (yet) - but maybe they just don't have it. JB and his staff has a history of developing PG's.

It might have been too much too soon for Kaleb. It's not like he was a reach when we recruited him.

Not to beat a dead horse but I wish we didn't put all our eggs inthe Quads Green basket.

Ennis leaving early should not f us for half a decade. Cmon people...

We're 1/4 on point guards in the past few years. That's bad and that's on our coaching staff.

Ennis was good and left early. Ok.. That happens. Not an excuse.

Kaleb - flop.
Howard - flop. (So far)
Quade - got played worse than Rob Kardashian.

...and who do we have lined up at the moment to run the most important position in CBB? Nobody. Cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom