B1G Tourney in DC Had Disastrous Attendance | Syracusefan.com

B1G Tourney in DC Had Disastrous Attendance

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I was curious regarding how the attendance numbers for the B1G basketball tournament in DC were compared to the crowds drawn by the ACC last year. Started googling info when I found the article below breaking it down. It is included in the Daily Articles but I thought it deserved its own thread.

2016 ACC Tournament attendance blew away 2017 Big 10 Tourney in battle for Washington, DC. » All Sports Discussion

It will be interesting to see how things go next year the week before the real conference tournaments, when the B1G is actually going to play its tournament at MSG. It is just a one year thing, like the tournament in DC.

Good idea B1G. Don't commit long term to anything in the East.

B1GPhotobucket burning couch...:bat:...:);):cool::p...:rolling:...Delaney should have went for the kill withSUball.

Not surprised to see this. Was amazed when watching games how empty it seemed to be.

Other conferences too- be interesting to see overall attendance @ confidence tournaments.

Real shame that we bowed out early both years or it would have improved attendance more (DC and NY). We need to make some kind of showing next year in Brooklyn.

This is just like a game of Risk when you have North America pretty secure and you think, " Yurkusk looks easy to get" and you go over there and loose your armies and momentum and they come over to North America and your in deep doo-doo.

This is just like a game of Risk when you have North America pretty secure and you think, " Yurkusk looks easy to get" and you go over there and loose your armies and momentum and they come over to North America and your in deep doo-doo.

I love this reference. This officially makes up for every crazy thing you've ever said on the off-topic board.

I was curious regarding how the attendance numbers for the B1G basketball tournament in DC were compared to the crowds drawn by the ACC last year. Started googling info when I found the article below breaking it down. It is included in the Daily Articles but I thought it deserved its own thread.

2016 ACC Tournament attendance blew away 2017 Big 10 Tourney in battle for Washington, DC. » All Sports Discussion

It will be interesting to see how things go next year the week before the real conference tournaments, when the B1G is actually going to play its tournament at MSG. It is just a one year thing, like the tournament in DC.

Good idea B1G. Don't commit long term to anything in the East.
Any info on how the ACC attendance was at Barclay's? Saw the Friday night semis drew 18,100 a good crowd.

I don't understand why they don't have it in Chicago, the most world-class city in the Big Ten region by far, every single year.

That's just far too sensible for college sports in 2017.

I don't understand why they don't have it in Chicago, the most world-class city in the Big Ten region by far, every single year.
Indianapolis makes sense as well. The state of Indiana loves hoops.
Big Ten should rotate Indy, Chicago, Detroit like the ACC should rotate NYC/DC/Charlotte.

Contrary to what some people may think IMO it's a top two US city.

Indianapolis makes sense as well. The state of Indiana loves hoops.
Big Ten should rotate Indy, Chicago, Detroit like the ACC should rotate NYC/DC/Charlotte.

I don't think Detroit would be a good idea. Your options are Ford Field or Auburn Hills. The former is just way way too big and it would feel totally empty, and the latter is out in the suburbs and would draw abysmal crowds for anyone other than Michigan or Michigan State.

I don't think Detroit would be a good idea. Your options are Ford Field or Auburn Hills. The former is just way way too big and it would feel totally empty, and the latter is out in the suburbs and would draw abysmal crowds for anyone other than Michigan or Michigan State.
Detroit is opening a new downtown arena for the Redwings and Pistons next year.

The ACC tournament should be played in Greensboro at least 50% of the time. The other 50% could be distributed between NYC, DC, and Atlanta.

Any info on how the ACC attendance was at Barclay's? Saw the Friday night semis drew 18,100 a good crowd.
It did really well. They broke their all time record for attendance for a basketball game in the finals.

The Big East was down well below 15K for the finals a couple of years ago but something has changed and they sold out the last 2 days this year. Good for them.

I suspect they lowered prices dramatically but am too lazy to confirm this.

The ACC tournament should be played in Greensboro at least 50% of the time. The other 50% could be distributed between NYC, DC, and Atlanta.

Why?

25%.

UNC fans were talking about how they don't want to travel to NY because of the "crime rate". I really think some of them believe they'll get mugged if they walk around the city at all.

The violent crime rate in NYC in 2014 (most recent year I could find) was 596 per 100K. The violent crime rate in Greensboro, NC was 597 per 100K.

I think that was really what JB was trying to get at; why would the ACC want to play in a crime-infested city like Greensboro ?