Back from Met Life ... Quick thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Back from Met Life ... Quick thoughts

Brian Orange

2nd String
-80 to 20 PSU to SU fans. Huge PSU turnout. More than I thought. Just not much Orange. I didn't think it would be that bad.

-Shafer really reminds me of a college coach (this is a good thing). Love his mannerisms on the sideline. Really hope he suceeeds.

-The single BIGGEST thing I took from this game, and it's early I know, is our lack of playmakers. Jerome Smith is a nice back but is he a playmaker? I know he's no Mensa candidate but Ashton Broyld needs to have a big part in this offense. He's one of our few explosive players.

-Thought Allen was ok. Solid. Not sure if that will be enough this season. We'll see.

-Morris II is another guy who needs to be on the field. He ran I think once and his explosion through the hole was noticeable.

-Krautman has to make that kick. With our offense we need all the points we can get. He should be on a short leash.

-This is a team that can make a bowl. Today was not a bad effort at all. I think someone said it best -- new coach, OC, DC, QB -- we should expect some growing pains.

Did u see the same game I did? Allen was really awful. Inaccurate and confused.

Did u see the same game I did? Allen was really awful. Inaccurate and confused.

Allen was fine.

rifle arm.

1 INT was a very, very bad route.

he also couldnt believe the play calling was so subpar.

it was a joke.

he spent 10 seconds staring at the sidelines for a play, and another 15 trying to explain it to the WRs.

and we would get a lousy delay handoff, or a everyone in the building knows we throw play.

pathetic.

He was less than 50% completion and he rarely hit anyone in stride. What was there to like?

Hunt will be starting by the Wagner game I predict.

Northwestern is a much better team than PSU and I think next week will be an ugly game for the cuse. At 0-2 give Hunt a shot (against lesser competition I know) and if he plays well stick with him

Northwestern is a much better team than PSU and I think next week will be an ugly game for the cuse. At 0-2 give Hunt a shot (against lesser competition I know) and if he plays well stick with him

I'd be willing to bet that Hunt doesn't see the field at all this year.

Hunt is not going to play unless Allen gets hurt. They played out best qb yesterday. You can't blame that game on Allen. The ostaff had some growing pains with getting the plays in, the wrs were running wrong routes, and Allen hasn't played that much since high school. Everyone needs to settle down. Prepare for what could be another loss next week but look out after that cause if it clicks this team is going to win some games in the acc. It takes a lot long for an offense to gel then defense.

Pinning all of this on Allen is hilarious.

Penn State blatantly stacked the box daring us to pass...and you think Hunt is better equipped to keep D's honest?

Allen is by no means perfect. His touch seems to be Nassib-like between his soph/junior years. But Kaiser observes well the chaos in the huddles far too often - the worse being on the third play of the second half - and it was an opener against a strong opponent.

aint really any excuse for such discombobulation on offense- so ill prepared it was robinsonesque

Based on this Allen is a lock to play straight through barring injury.

Allen was fine.

rifle arm.

1 INT was a very, very bad route.

he also couldnt believe the play calling was so subpar.

it was a joke.

he spent 10 seconds staring at the sidelines for a play, and another 15 trying to explain it to the WRs.

and we would get a lousy delay handoff, or a everyone in the building knows we throw play.

pathetic.

Wow. I've never agreed with you more regarding the play calling.

I pretty much agree about Allen as well. He does need to develop a 'feel' for the pocket. One of those sacks could have been easily avoided with a simple side step.

I would

Wow. I've never agreed with you more regarding the play calling.

I pretty much agree about Allen as well. He does need to develop a 'feel' for the pocket. One of those sacks could have been easily avoided with a simple side step.

I would

Swish falling in line with the Kaiser. I've never been one to build bunkers and go all doomsday prep, but clearly it's time to start.

I think the advantages of hiring SS were clear, but sometimes the downside of hiring a defensive guy as HC are a clear lack of creativity, imagination, or just plain balls on offense. There's a tendency with defensive guys to go conservative and, to use a favorite term of this board, "meathead" on offense, and play not to lose with the assumption that the D will carry the day.

We saw that, I think, yesterday, combined with an incredibly green and apparently overwhelmed brand new offensive coordinator. All of that has been hashed out here and elsewhere, but George McDonald and his O seemed woefully unprepared for this game. From communication to playcalling to route running, seems like things were discombobulated from the start. Obviously this needs to be fixed, and we can assume it will.

SU won't face many defensive tackles as strong and as quick as Daquan Jones. He's one of the best in the B1G, if not country. The line play is cause for concern, Robinson seemed to miss some blocks against Jones in particular, but of more concern is the lack of a coherent plan on offense.

Really wish this team would open its first two in Rutgers fashion by playing Inept Tech or PeteCalvin U or the like.

hcss has proven his defense can win games- marrone knows that better than anybody

hcss better wake up and remember how much easier it is to win if your offense is somewhat good -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom