Back from the game | Syracusefan.com

Back from the game

Bortukal

All Conference
This is the first SU lacrosse game I have been to in probably 5 or so years. I think I should probably wait 5 more for the next.

The guys doing the post-game for WAER absolutely RIPPED Bobby Wardwell. The kid didn't play a great game by any means. That one giveaway in the first quarter was simply baffling. But he made some great stops on the outside shots throughout. I thought he was solid, albeit unremarkable.

Syracuse's biggest problem is its close defense. This is the softest unit we've had here in ... well, ever, I think. The back three were physically dominated throughout the entire game. Most Albany goals game within 8 years of the pipes, and I can't recall a single instance where a UA attackman hit the turf. All three of our guys defended with their sticks first and bodies second, and they didn't have the takeaway skills to combat the Thompsons' stick skills, which were absolutely top level. At no point did the close D even attempt to body-up when the attack worked inside. The interior defense was non-existant.

Offensively, there's hope. Once we accepted that running iso from up top wasn't going to work, I thought we did a good job of working off picks and finding cutters. I think we need to establish a feeder who can distribute consistently from behind the cage.

All-in-all, I think it's going to be a very, difficult year if our D continues to play this soft.

i was able to snap this picture out front of the syracuse crease area late in the 3rd.

wicker-porch-swing-33.jpg

Sad to see this program decay to where it is today. SU was out coached, out hustled, out played and sadly - out talented against freaking Albany. This could be the worst SU team in awhile.

This is Brian Megill's take on how the defense performed against the attack.

"In the end I think we did a good job covering them and slowing down what they wanted to do. They just came out on top unfortunately."

Yeah, if he thinks they did a good job tonight then we are in for a long season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom