Back in November, if I said to you... | Syracusefan.com

Back in November, if I said to you...

heresjohnny88

2nd String
...that the following would happen this season...

1) Rak would not develop one bit
2) Coleman would be an absolute non-factor
3) MCW wouldn't be a difference maker, and would have a very uneven year
4) Our 3 pt shooting would be abismal
5) Southerland would be suspended for some of BE play
6) Cooney wouldn't be able to hit anything
7) Triche would basically regress

...what would you predict our record would be? Would you think 23-8?

Let's have a bit of perspective here. This isn't a good team. We know that. The pieces simply don't fit. But I laugh when I read threads that say "This is the worst Syracuse team of all time." The problem with this year is that the expectations were absolutely unrealistic. We were never a top 15 caliber team. We lost WAY too much from last year. I think we all need to take a deep breath and try to just enjoy however many games we have left. Because soon, we'll have no more basketball, and it'll be another long wait until November.

Let's have a bit of perspective here. This isn't a good team. We know that. The pieces simply don't fit. But I laugh when I read threads that say "This is the worst Syracuse team of all time." The problem with this year is that the expectations were absolutely unrealistic. We were never a top 15 caliber team. We lost WAY too much from last year. I think we all need to take a deep breath and try to just enjoy however many games we have left. Because soon, we'll have no more basketball, and it'll be another long wait until November.

Unfortunately, my answer would have been yes b/c we play a pisspoor OOC schedule and 12-1 was about the worst we could have done.

Unfortunately, my answer would have been yes b/c we play a pisspoor OOC schedule and 12-1 was about the worst we could have done.
The way this team failed to progress during the 18 game BE schedule, the only thing that playing a tougher OOC schedule would have done would be to have added more loses and putting the team firmly on the bubble if not completely out of the NCAA. And speaking of scheduel, why does it seem that SU plays a harder BE schedule during the last nine games than the first nine? How many times has SU been near the tp of the BE half way thru then hit a real rough stretch where they fall back?

The way this team failed to progress during the 18 game BE schedule, the only thing that playing a tougher OOC schedule would have done would be to have added more loses and putting the team firmly on the bubble if not completely out of the NCAA. And speaking of scheduel, why does it seem that SU plays a harder BE schedule during the last nine games than the first nine? How many times has SU been near the tp of the BE half way thru then hit a real rough stretch where they fall back?
we won the league two of the last 4 years. We don't always drop back.

23-8 is an illusion. Can't use that to assess who we are or who we could/should be.

Can't say "the pieces don't fit." If you had said two years ago that we'd have a McD point guard, two highly ranked/acclaimed high school centers, CJ Fair, Southerland, and Triche, you'd say those were a pretty good set of components. Not getting performance out of that set is another matter, and a coach without the "HOF" tag would be getting a lot of the blame for the 'pieces not fitting.'

we won the league two of the last 4 years. We don't always drop back.
True, they won but loses accumulated late in the season and not spread out over season. When was the last time SU played Pitt, Vilanova,UConn, Louisville or Georgetown during the 1st five games or even the first half of BE season? Far less then during the 2nd half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom