Willis and Allen in at the same time | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Willis and Allen in at the same time

Watching the replays Allen missed several key blocks in the backfield. But he made one nice block on the sudo screen to Pena on a key 3rd down pass

I hear ya. I would like to have it in our bag of tricks though because I can’t imagine how they could possibly cover Pena and Gadsden one on one. Or Haynes or Meeks. Any WR we put out there would be much harder to cover. Not suggesting it for our base offense.

Once the ex Colorado St WR, is healthy, who would he replace?

Once the ex Colorado St WR, is healthy, who would he replace?
As Poker alluded to above, this would be about matchups. It would not be a standard offense. It would be to throw off balance a defense and get them confused and on their heels. If we throw it in there and they can’t handle it, then we could use it more.

To me it would be a coaches decision as to who we would temporarily replace for a play or two as long as we have Pena and Gadsden in. With linebackers or a safety trying to cover our RBs in the flat I don’t see how we wouldn’t have a field day with Pena and Gadsden one on one.

Who knows if this would work or not but it seems to me like it would cause a lot of extra planning for them to have to prepare for. And I’m not even sure they could plan for it effectively.

This is what I was envisioning. We’d have two of our fast receivers on one side (let’s say Pena and either Haynes or Meeks) potentially with single coverage or taking up the safety and Gadsden cutting across the middle. If the linebackers dropped into coverage to help with our WRs or Gadsden, we would have the passes in the flat to either RB. If the linebackers covered the RBs, gotta think one of Gadsden, Pena or Haynes would be open because two out of the three would be in single coverage.

Maybe I’m speaking out of my $ss but it’s fun to envision.
IMG_4028.gif

As Poker alluded to above, this would be about matchups. It would not be a standard offense. It would be to throw off balance a defense and get them confused and on their heels. If we throw it in there and they can’t handle it, then we could use it more.

To me it would be a coaches decision as to who we would temporarily replace for a play or two as long as we have Pena and Gadsden in. With linebackers or a safety trying to cover our RBs in the flat I don’t see how we wouldn’t have a field day with Pena and Gadsden one on one.

Who knows if this would work or not but it seems to me like it would cause a lot of extra planning for them to have to prepare for. And I’m not even sure they could plan for it effectively.
Plus, if you go no huddle with no subs and force them to adjust on the fly with the personnel they have, they might drop a safety down to help out - thus opening things up over the top for the WRs you keep on the field.

And regarding the play you drew up and matchups you talked about, one of the cool things about this is that it can also open up the run game - which is why I like going 2 RB, 2 TE, 1 WR. If their LBs can't cover our RB, then they may counter by going lighter the next time we run the package out. So maybe they're in nickel or dime, now we run it down their throats with 2 TE and 2 RB. If they keep 3 LB on the field, well, good luck covering.

As much as we're talking about the RB here, a big part of this is also the versatility of OG and Villari. Of course with Villari you can basically consider him like an H back and go 1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR. Villari can line up at TE, split out, in the backfield as a lead blocker, or in the backfield to be a ball carrier.

Essentially there are a few combinations of personnel packages that we can use that can actually line up in several different formations and ask a defense a lot of questions related to the versatility of THEIR personnel.

Let’s say we put Allen and Willis in at the same time and rolled them both into the flat on opposite sides.

A dump off to them would be like a run more or less. But wouldn’t that force the other team to assign a linebacker to each and open up the middle like crazy for Gadsden and Pena? And long routes as well for our speedsters?

What am I missing.

Edit: it might force a safety up as well but that would have the same result.
Like it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan.Oversl

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom