Back in the day | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Back in the day

Go west, young man:

It was important that SU demonstrate it's strength to teams- and writers and coaches around the country to get and maintain that #1 ranking. Fortunately, the Athletic Department ha d scheduled a 10th game that year, on the coast with UCLA. it went quite well. Syracuse won 36-8.

The 1/1/60 Cotton Bowl, X2

Harry Carey's radio broadcast matched with a grainy black and white film. "Davis is going to go all the way!!!"

Interesting that Ol' Ben used the two point conversion proactively (at 11:29). I'm not convinced that Ken Erickson's long play wasn't a touchdown (11:50). Harry seems to think the fight is amusing (12:20).

The official highlight film, with plenty of color but still lacking in pixels:

1960 Cotton Bowl-Ernie Davis

Last edited:
The 1/1/60 Cotton Bowl, X2

Harry Carey's radio broadcast matched with a grainy black and white film. "Davis is going to go all the way!!!"

Interesting that Ol' Ben used the two point conversion proactively (at 11:29). I'm not convinced that Ken Erickson's long play wasn't a touchdown (11:50). Harry seems to think the fight is amusing (12:20).

The official highlight film, with plenty of color but still lacking in pixels:

1960 Cotton Bowl-Ernie Davis
i believe that bens best coaching year ever was 1970, the boycott year. he to do more with less.

SU in a funk: We'd had our 15 game winning streak broken by Pitt, (and their AA end, Mike Ditka) in Archbold the week before 0-10 and now we went to Yankee Stadium to play Army - and got beat again, 6-9. Where was the offense that had led the nation in everything the year before? We wound up 7-2 and were so disgusted the players voted not to go to a bowl game. it was a different era...

I'm glad we don't use that fake punt play any more...

But we came back to win a squeaker of our own in the Liberty Bowl. Why don't they hold it in Philly any more? Look at that crowd!

This turned out to be Ernie's last game, although no one knew it at the time.

1962: Another loss to Army in Yankee Stadium. That pigskin sure is slippery:

I think it's a radio station, WOLF. I think it's still in the Syracuse market, oldies format
The last competitive Syracuse-Colgate game:

This is the year before Jim Brown's 43 point game that began the era of one-sided games between the two schools. But he is the #44 in this game. the shots of the sideline interest me. Everything is so orderly. all the bench players are literally sitting on the bench, almost as if they were posing for a team picture. There's a large area to (our) right where the press or VIPs or both are seated. You don't see all the people standing along the sidelines you do today. And the roster isn't nearly as large, it being one platoon football.

Make sure to get some Canada Dry ginger ale on the way home from the game. (Any idea what "Wolf" in the advertisement is referring to?)