back to USC thoughts | Syracusefan.com

back to USC thoughts

upperdeck

Living Legend
While the final didnt end that well, I dont think it can be overlooked USC has by far the best athletes we will see all year.

for the first time the dline actually controlled the line of scrimmage for most of the first 3 quarters, we were a step away from the QB all night and much of that is the WR for USC are really hard to cover.. Really I think the scheming to cover Woods dictated so much of what we wanted to do that it limited what we could change behind the blitzes..

really wish the Refs had a little more control of the game. I dont have an issue with the first roughing call, but it was marginal, you could argue the SU player hit his own player and not really the USC guy.. big call at that point of the game and it was never called again with half a dozen times both ways . If he had clocked the guy then call it. since he really whiffed on the contact the refs should use it to call attention to what they will be looking for and not change the tide of the game so early.. They missed 3-4 more blatant calls like the Fair catch and the dropped pass, and reviewed the fumble at the goal line incorrectly. Add to that the PI call and the 2nd one that had to be reversed to stop from being blown.

We cant get deep when we need to . We had several play actions with lots of time but the rcvrs couldn't do much with it. We are in desperate need of a game changer on the offensive side and have been for years.

the oline did well enough but it went in spurts. Too bad Bailey falls down at the end of the half really had USC on its heels and he probably gets 20-30 more yards, wish we had not called the TO to slow it down it allowed USC to regroup and put pressure on.

The Rcvrs need to make the big catch. Chew makes the tough TD catch but we dropped half a dozen easier ones to change the field. Field position was big and USC had it all night.

Still it was the best effort against a good team in the Marrone era. The kids knew they should have kept it closer and that effort the next two weeks should produce wins.

Yep, I agree that the kids had a lot of positives against USC. The refs gave them a handful of big calls. The D line did play well, but the secondary, especially after a couple guys went out hurt, got torched. The O line is still a bit disappointing, although they did play well in stretches. As for Bailey, we have to rotate him with a bigger kid at TB, like Ameen-Moore. I can believe the kid can't get on the field. We really need a power back to move the pile. Bailey too often gets a yard on first down trying to run between the tackles. Those same plays used to be 3 or 4 yard gains with Carter. We need that power from the back.

Well, we had a game changer on offense, but he couldn't get out of his own way, cheating on finals, suspensions. Not talking about Sales. But no matter, that guy wouldn't be here anymore regardless. Sales would have been nice to have. Solution to all problems, probably not, but certainly could do worse.

I wish Fleming and/or West were practicing well enough to be in the rotation.

We should throw deep to Chew regardless. Just throw a terrible deep ball (Millhouse, there's your opening?) and watch Chew outjudge the DB and make the catch. I still cannot believe he located and caught that TD pass.

Well, we had a game changer on offense, but he couldn't get out of his own way, cheating on finals, suspensions. Not talking about Sales. But no matter, that guy wouldn't be here anymore regardless. Sales would have been nice to have. Solution to all problems, probably not, but certainly could do worse.

I wish Fleming and/or West were practicing well enough to be in the rotation.

We should throw deep to Chew regardless. Just throw a terrible deep ball (Millhouse, there's your opening?) and watch Chew outjudge the DB and make the catch. I still cannot believe he located and caught that TD pass.
I think they need to risk more interceptions throwing to chew when he's covered. not going to get WRs open as much as we like, need to roll the dice a little.

of course, i just watched the bills get 34 first downs, maybe you can just dink and dunk to scores. can't have the drops. i think it's too much to ask for 10 play drives consistently - need big plays.

I think they need to risk more interceptions throwing to chew when he's covered. not going to get WRs open as much as we like, need to roll the dice a little.

of course, i just watched the bills get 34 first downs, maybe you can just dink and dunk to scores. can't have the drops. i think it's too much to ask for 10 play drives consistently - need big plays.

We also bunch up the formations so much that it makes it that much easier for a team to blitz. Safeties cheat up, and corners, OLBs start out that much closer to the QB. I'm sure it's to give us the easier hot route (hot route! hot route! red 7! red 7! hot route! would you just go line up on the other side), eventually seems higher risk to make the pass with a guy in your face and have the Lemon's of the world make the catch in such traffic with press coverage.

We also bunch up the formations so much that it makes it that much easier for a team to blitz. Safeties cheat up, and corners, OLBs start out that much closer to the QB. I'm sure it's to give us the easier hot route (hot route! hot route! red 7! red 7! hot route! would you just go line up on the other side), eventually seems higher risk to make the pass with a guy in your face and have the Lemon's of the world make the catch in such traffic with press coverage.

A couple thoughts:

-- I agree taking a few shots is important but I can see where the staff is coming from. Obviously there is inherant risk in just tossing the ball up in the air. The real answer (which I know everyone knows) is finding a difference-maker offensively. Sales may have been able to at least fill that role, but a true home run threat means you can take your shots without willingly deciding to throw risky passes.

-- I think people seem to be using "power back" and "Delone Carter" interchangeably. I think Carter was a really unique back in his ability to make a guy in the backfield miss and then find a crack to fall forward for a couple yards. I don't know if it was vision or quick feet or what, but I know that isn't always a skill a bigger back possesses. If AAM or Smith are ready to help this team out, then fine, but I think it's a mistake to suggest a guy that weighs more is going to really move the pile at all.

-- I think people seem to be using "power back" and "Delone Carter" interchangeably. I think Carter was a really unique back in his ability to make a guy in the backfield miss and then find a crack to fall forward for a couple yards. I don't know if it was vision or quick feet or what, but I know that isn't always a skill a bigger back possesses. If AAM or Smith are ready to help this team out, then fine, but I think it's a mistake to suggest a guy that weighs more is going to really move the pile at all.
I've been saying this for a while now.

If USC is playing at USC's level, which they did in this game, you really need to come out firing on all cylinders and avoid any big mistakes. We just didn't do that. I think the team played well and should be proud of their effort, and anyone expecting a victory and acting like a 5 year old with a temper tantrum because we didn't win needs a reality check.

Even if we played a perfect game, USC still had to come out flat and stay flat in order for us to win this game. The talent disparity isn't as obvious as it would have been had we played at USC during Marrone's first year, but it's still an issue. Their WR corps vs our depleted secondary was an issue the whole game. If you blow coverage against a WR corps like that, you're talking 6 everytime.

I was pretty impressed with our D Line and LB's in this game, Goggins looked awesome. I think they ran out of gas heading into the 4th quarter but they stood their ground for 3 quarters against that team. We're not likely to face as athletic a WR corps again this year as USC has, so there are definitely some positives coming out of this game for a defense that was questionable the first two games.

It's a progression. They are already taking more shots down field than last year, and hitting on more. There have already been more long plays in three games than in 13 games last year.

I think the first step was to see how Nassib could be the focus of the offense and if his accuracy had improved. Both have been answered, and he's done very well. There's more to come.

we made them punt twice. and score on a ugly gimmick play. i'm glad we weren't embarrassed but we were badly outplayed.

I know Nassib made an impression on a few USC fans I spoke to while walking out. One guy was not pleased they have to face him again next year. He said he was one of the better QB's he'd seen USC face in the past couple seasons. He insisted he was better than Locker, but I'm pretty sure this was an in-the-moment overreaction. I was impressed with Ryan, though.

Yep. Hope the Nassib we saw in this game is who we see the rest of the season. It'll be a good one again if that is the case. Toledo is going to be tougher than some think.

Cheers,
Neil

We need play makers on O period. Grahm may be a possibility but his hands are really suspect and i doubt they ever get much better plus he just seem to have the "feel" for O. Gulley looks like he has a chance to do something. Chew is our best deep threat could really use someone else to stretch the field with him how about West? Would like to see AAM and i expect to see him this week. I sure hope that DM can bring in a big time RB one who has that extra gear. Hopefully with another year under their belt one of the young WR's step up.

I know Nassib made an impression on a few USC fans I spoke to while walking out. One guy was not pleased they have to face him again next year. He said he was one of the better QB's he'd seen USC face in the past couple seasons. He insisted he was better than Locker, but I'm pretty sure this was an in-the-moment overreaction. I was impressed with Ryan, though.
Dude, if we're being honest about it, Locker sucks.

That USC fan is right. Nassib is better than Locker.

Dude, if we're being honest about it, Locker sucks.

That USC fan is right. Nassib is better than Locker.
First thing I thought of when the guy said that were your posts last year. Knew this would please you. And for the record, yes he does.

We need play makers on O period ... I sure hope that DM can bring in a big time RB one who has that extra gear. Hopefully with another year under their belt one of the young WR's step up.

Yeah, I agree on the playmakers part and hope he is able to bring in a big time RB. I think the issue we have in this regard is that playmakers on offense are among the toughest players to recruit, IMO. I'd rank them (in ascending order):

3. Offensive Line
Tough to project since kids generally have to turn fat into muscle and make big strides in technique. Not number 1 b/c numbers are the key -- throw a bunch of stuff against he wall and see what sticks

2. Offensive difference-makers
It's not that you can't find a quality QB, a quality RB or a quality WR, but I just think that subtle difference between a solid or pretty good player and a great player is what's hard to find. I like Lemon, I like Chew, I like Nassib and I like Bailey -- none of them are keeping opposing DCs up at night. The guy with the best chance of being this type of player could be Gulley, but I'm not sure that's happening this year. To GRob's credit, by the way, Taj Smith, Mike Williams and DC3 were a pretty impressive collection of offensive difference makers.

1. Defensive tackles
The thing basically no high school kids have that go somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 pounds is first-step, short-area quickness. So this is an area you can recruit in terms of getting guys capable of filling up space and playing some halfway decent football, but it's really tough to find guys who are difference makers here (though it's not impossible -- we had one with Art Jones, BC did with Raji). Most of those kids end up with the big boys.

Yeah, I agree on the playmakers part and hope he is able to bring in a big time RB. I think the issue we have in this regard is that playmakers on offense are among the toughest players to recruit, IMO. I'd rank them (in ascending order):

3. Offensive Line
Tough to project since kids generally have to turn fat into muscle and make big strides in technique. Not number 1 b/c numbers are the key -- throw a bunch of stuff against he wall and see what sticks

2. Offensive difference-makers
It's not that you can't find a quality QB, a quality RB or a quality WR, but I just think that subtle difference between a solid or pretty good player and a great player is what's hard to find. I like Lemon, I like Chew, I like Nassib and I like Bailey -- none of them are keeping opposing DCs up at night. The guy with the best chance of being this type of player could be Gulley, but I'm not sure that's happening this year. To GRob's credit, by the way, Taj Smith, Mike Williams and DC3 were a pretty impressive collection of offensive difference makers.

1. Defensive tackles
The thing basically no high school kids have that go somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 pounds is first-step, short-area quickness. So this is an area you can recruit in terms of getting guys capable of filling up space and playing some halfway decent football, but it's really tough to find guys who are difference makers here (though it's not impossible -- we had one with Art Jones, BC did with Raji). Most of those kids end up with the big boys.

Yep, we need to recruit better in all these areas and it shows, especially the skill guys, we need to improve here to improve and make that next jump

It's a progression. They are already taking more shots down field than last year, and hitting on more. There have already been more long plays in three games than in 13 games last year.

I think the first step was to see how Nassib could be the focus of the offense and if his accuracy had improved. Both have been answered, and he's done very well. There's more to come.

He certainly knows the entire offense, as advertised. Next big step is to get him (or his QB successors) to feel more comfortable in the pocket. There were moments against USC of good protection, good pocket, and Nassib was progressing and throwing like he was going to be hit any second. Will take time to get him out of that mode.

Yep, we need to recruit better in all these areas and it shows, especially the skill guys, we need to improve here to improve and make that next jump
I think they're cobbling together a decent enough offense to win over high school playmakers. score enough and get wr's enough touches. it's a shame marrone's first WR recruits/transfers haven't gotten it done, would've helped short term

Same thing happened with me. The USC fans in my section (basically the whole section lol) were impressed with his decision making and his poise. He's really grown up as far as a QB is concerned.

we made them punt twice. and score on a ugly gimmick play. i'm glad we weren't embarrassed but we were badly outplayed.
Nothing to be embarassed about scoring on a gimmick play against a team like that.

The 2 punt thing - yeah that definitely could have been improved upon. We did force a turnover but gave it right back. Not getting stupid unsportsmanlike penalties probably would have helped.

We saw some of the young talent on defense is going to be very good when juniors and seniors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom