Backcourt Rotation... | Syracusefan.com

Backcourt Rotation...

newmexicuse

All Conference
Ok, buddy and joe should be the starters, the universe of choices is too limited to do otherwise. However, you cannot have Howard as the third guard when we are getting killed on d. Howard caretakes, he simply does not make plays and he lacks size on d. IMHO, especially when we are being hurt on d, I would bring Guerrier in at sf and move Hughes to the backcourt for those third guard minutes. To date Howard has outplayed brycen, but goodine has way more upside and I would prefer him over HW. Team lacks talent, I think BG, is the player most likely to make an intra season jump if given a role. Kid lacks strength and confidence, but I think there are some skills there.

It was crazy that guerrier only played 5 minutes when we are being killed off the glass.

It seems painfully clear that JB will never put Eli at the 2. If he hasn’t done it yet hes not going to

Eli at the 2 would really hurt the offense, you’re taking a ball handler, passer and shooter out of the game and adding a rebounder. Teams aren’t gonna leave Buddy or JG to double Hughes but they’ll certainly leave QG, Marek, Sidibe. I think the offense would be a lot more stagnant

It seems painfully clear that JB will never put Eli at the 2. If he hasn’t done it yet hes not going to

Eli at the 2 would really hurt the offense, you’re taking a ball handler, passer and shooter out of the game and adding a rebounder. Teams aren’t gonna leave Buddy or JG to double Hughes but they’ll certainly leave QG, Marek, Sidibe. I think the offense would be a lot more stagnant
Eli can handle at least as well as Buddy, probably better. Eli has shown passing skills this season. A shooter is coming out of the game when you sub in Howard or Goodine (so far), so that is a wash. QG would upgrade the rebounding and add toughness and some inside scoring threat. QG is an erratic frosh, but he can certainly help at times, at least as much as the alternatives.

Eli can handle at least as well as Buddy, probably better. Eli has shown passing skills this season. A shooter is coming out of the game when you sub in Howard or Goodine (so far), so that is a wash. QG would upgrade the rebounding and add toughness and some inside scoring threat. QG is an erratic frosh, but he can certainly help at times, at least as much as the alternatives.

I think the point is you go from 3 ball handlers to two if you move Eli to the two. You go from Eli and two guards to Eli and one guard. No question that Eli and Buddy's handles are at worst a wash.

Although I would try it. I think everything should be on the table.....what we are doing isn't working.

JB can't bury Goodine yet. We need to develop playmakers. I like Washington but he's a placeholder. Some nights we need that, most night we are going to need players.

Shouldn't be burying anyone on this team. With the exception of Hughes noone deserves uber minutes.....play everyone and extend the minutes of whoever looks like they have it together on a particular night.

I think the point is you go from 3 ball handlers to two if you move Eli to the two. You go from Eli and two guards to Eli and one guard. No question that Eli and Buddy's handles are at worst a wash.

Although I would try it. I think everything should be on the table...what we are doing isn't working.
Eli has been asked to bring the ball up when Joe is getting pressured too much. Buddy has not. Buddy's handle is worse than Eli.

And he only lasted 7 minutes before he fouled out.

Yep...But the point I was trying to make is that he wasn’t pulled. And he got better over time because he (presumably) got used to playing at game speed against stronger players.

I have to respectfully disagree on Howards D. He takes the best angles and has the best speed of the 3 main guards. He is shorter and that hurts but is a heck of a lot more active.

I like the idea of Hughes at 2 or 1. He has to get some rest though and imo Boeheim should use the TV timeouts better with him like they do in the NBA with periods. I understand why he doesn't want to take him out but still...big picture.

Eli has been asked to bring the ball up when Joe is getting pressured too much. Buddy has not. Buddy's handle is worse than Eli.

Eli is in the game regardless. He wasn’t comparing Buddy and Eli, he was comparing Buddy and whoever would be in at the SF - which would have to be QG or Braswell.

Qg most overrated frosh in quite a while.? Senior body ??? Wb a good fb player

Qg most overrated frosh in quite a while.? Senior body ??? Wb a good fb player

I’m not falling for the “this kid would be a 5 star if he was American” line anymore.

QG is strong and aggressive. There’s potential. He’s really not a very good shooter yet and often looks like a fish out of water offensively. I think he’ll be fine in time. We needed him to be an instant impact guy in order for us to be any good this year though.

With QG I kind of wonder how much not being permitted as an early enrollee has ended up setting him back. If we all remember, that was his plan until the NCAA said he couldn't.

It's possible that with that extra time around the program he would be a more refined player at this point.

But you know, the NCAA has to look out for the kids, so...

Yeah, Guerrier has been frustrating so far. The Hoya game would have been perfect for him to start doing something inside. For once, an opponent of S.U. didn't have much inside strength. Yurtseven has some nice offensive smoothness, and can run great for a 7-footer, but he clearly needs to get stronger (got stuffed twice early on). Marek figured that out early on, and did great, in spite of his own weight, and the hostile refs.

Washington is much better defensively than joe and buddy but doesn’t have the same potential on the other end.

Eli would also hurt the defense. This is NOT your church league zone. I would think it takes a lot of practice to play at the top versus the sides. Responsibilities have to be instinctive on thought about.