Backcut | Syracusefan.com

Backcut

Coach Orange

2nd String
Got to be honest--when Baye found Cooney for a layup in the first half on Cooney's back-cut against Starks's defensive overplay, I actually threw my hands up in the air in celebration (I may have teared up a little, too).

That bucket was symbolic of our run in this tourney in the sense that we are finally playing like a team that executes solid technical and tactical fundamentals. This point was made even greater by who the two players involved were.

I love that you singled-out this play, because it was a thing of beauty! ("And a thing of beauty is a joy forever. My man John Keats said that. John Keats, thats my man. You know that, right?")

And that was not an easy pass to make...very tight window. But Keita threaded it. And I loved every second of that play, as did you.

I love that you singled-out this play, because it was a thing of beauty! ("And a thing of beauty is a joy forever. My man John Keats said that. John Keats, thats my man. You know that, right?")

And that was not an easy pass to make...very tight window. But Keita threaded it. And I loved every second of that play, as did you.

Henny, I love that Keats is your man. I am, after all, an English professor. :)

And you're right--that was not an easy pass. If Baye waits a split second longer, that is a turnover. That's why it is so awesome that he recognized the situation and executed so well.

Got to be honest--when Baye found Cooney for a layup in the first half on Cooney's back-cut against Starks's defensive overplay, I actually threw my hands up in the air in celebration (I may have teared up a little, too).

That bucket was symbolic of our run in this tourney in the sense that we are finally playing like a team that executes solid technical and tactical fundamentals. This point was made even greater by who the two players involved were.

Good call in your post a few days ago. Nice to see a play that doesn't involve one of our 'stars'.

ah, you must have missed the 2nd half.

ah, you must have missed the 2nd half.

I agree that we didn't play as well in the second half.

However, to be fair, we missed some shots that were good looks, which happens sometimes to the best of teams. If those shots go down like they did in the first half, we wouldn't have been in the position we were at the end of the game. An example--with about six minutes left, CJ Fair misses a layup on the break that he almost never misses. If that goes in, those are two more points that Gtown has to make up, and they probably don't get the foul on the other end. Adding insult to injury, Fair then misses a good look on the next possession. I would bet that Fair won't miss those shots back to back again all year.

Also, Gtown got away with a lot more clutching of our cutters and ball handlers in the second half than they did in the first--Bilas even pointed this out. Add that to the fact that Gtown hit some tough shots in the second half, and our mental lapses late are magnified.

Our decision to milk the clock didn't work out well in regulation tonight, either.

That said, Baye hit some free throws. Additionally, our fundamentals were pretty good in overtime (save MCW's TO, which actually was a good thought, but Southerland didn't see the opening he had). See Triche's drive to start overtime, Baye's follow on MCW's drive, and CJ's dunk. :)