bailey could set SU single season rushing record | Syracusefan.com

bailey could set SU single season rushing record

Millhouse

Living Legend
needs to average 116 ypg including a bowl game

quite doable.

obviously skewed by number of games, not comparing him to old greats, but he could pass morris, reyes and carter.

If he does set the record for most yards per season it would be something to talk about. Granted more games and a different set of rules, etc. but can you think of what it would be like to tell your kids, "Oh yeah, Brown, Davis, Csonka were alright, But I outran them all". I know it's already been done, but that is still a pretty wild statement to be able to make.
He will be up against some decent run defenses in the second half of the season, but the offense is showing some pretty good diversity so he wont have to spend his afternoons against eight men in the box.

that is pretty incredible. I don't see why he couldn't do it. I'd like to see us have one 200 yd rusher one game this season.

I could see Ant going off for 180 or 200 against, say, UConn.

quite doable.

obviously skewed by number of games, not comparing him to old greats, but he could pass morris, reyes and carter.

It is hard to compare anything to past greats, but if he beats out Carter from just last year, that may say something. Maybe Bailey is under appreciated.

quite doable.

It helps that Gulley is gone for the year. More carries for Bailey. Smith and Ameen-Moore will get a handful a game but it was looking like Gulley was going to get a 1/3 or so of the carries the rest of the way, like Bailey did last year, until he got injured.

With the way the passing game looked last week, it might harder to for him to do it. ;)

Brown, Davis and Little played 10 game schedules back then.

Still, it would be a great accomplishment.

quite doable.

Currently, the guy who is averagng 116 ypg is the #13 rusher in the country. Ant is #33

It's doable but I have a feeling that it's unlikely

Currently, the guy who is averagng 116 ypg is the #13 rusher in the country. Ant is #33

It's doable but I have a feeling that it's unlikely

But is he playing against big east defenses?

But is he playing against big east defenses?
none of the defenses the rest of the way are that bad. generally better against the run than the pass but probably not so much so that SU would go away from the run in the game plan

hoping for a split with louisville and uconn and hoping pitt and USF implode.

dick in mi - one interesting tidbit to me.. when ernie davis won the heisman, he had 85 ypg. that's middle of the pack today.

goes to show how useful even per game records are (not very).

but all the same, bailey's not bad for a guy who's not an every down back supposedly

dick in mi - one interesting tidbit to me.. when ernie davis won the heisman, he had 85 ypg. that's middle of the pack today.

Yep, but what is missed in that stat was that Ernie averaged around 7-8 yards per carry. Not sure where that would rank today but I'd bet it would be among the very best in that catagory

quite doable.

Nassib, 1025 yds and 8 TD's from season records.

quite doable.

Where is Konrad on that list?

Where is Konrad on that list?
I don't know his numbers, but he rarely got the ball on anything but fb dives as part of the option game. One of worst utilized talents we've ever had.

quite doable.

Running the ball?!

Blasphemy!

I don't know his numbers, but he rarely got the ball on anything but fb dives as part of the option game. One of worst utilized talents we've ever had.

Actually, SU utilized him exactly the way he was utilized in the NFL. We had the most productive offense in school history and utilizing him as the fullback he was is one of the reasons.

Nassib, 1025 yds and 8 TD's from season records.
yeah, that's kinda what prompted me. lots more talk about where he stands compared to other SU qbs. thought it was interesting that bailey compares so well, since we've historically been stronger as a running team (not to criticize other qbs, it's just that we weren't an air it out program)

no way you could know this from the post but joe wasn't the world's biggest konrad fan

Yep, but what is missed in that stat was that Ernie averaged around 7-8 yards per carry. Not sure where that would rank today but I'd bet it would be among the very best in that catagory

My father got me the video about the 1959 national championship season, and based upon watching the game footage, I've got the following observations:

• The entire team reminded me of a rugby team: a bit lighter, guys who played both ways, but strongly conditioned and more versatile athletically
  • We had a shitload of skilled players on offense. Frankly, a surprising number of guys who are well known to historical fans of the program
  • The offense used to be "multiple" [lol!], in that halfbacks would routinely throw passes, they had formations with multiple running backs who would get rushes, guys who would run end arounds, etc. In other words, tremendously unpredictable / versatile offense for the time
LGO!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom