Baseball HOF, whos on your ballot? | Syracusefan.com

Baseball HOF, whos on your ballot?

KaiserUEO

2022 and 2x ESPN Tourney Challenge Winner
and not who will get in this year, just who you wouldve voted for.

mine:

bonds, clemens, glavine, maddux, morris, piazza, raines & thomas.

ultimately, id vote for bagwell, kent and mussina.

id never vote for biggio. not as long as mattingly doesnt get in.

just because he stayed healthy doesnt mean he was better.

Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, Palmiero, Maddux, Glavine, Morris and Thomas

Maddux, Glavine, Thomas, Bonds, Clemens, Piazza, Bagwell, Schilling, Raines, Mussina.

Jack Morris wasn't a HOF IMO. Craig Biggio is a good ballplayer but he isn't a HOFer. If he makes then Dustin Pedroia could make it if he gets the numbers. I think Pedroia is a better player than Biggio was at his peak, and I wouldn't put Pedroia near the HOF. Palmiero, McGuire, Sosa would never get on my ballots. Edgar Martinez is the guy I left off in favor of Mussina.

i would never vote for Edgar. while im for the DH, im not for a DH in the Hall. too 1 dimensional, a reliever had a lot more going on.

while im at it, Jim Kaat and Tommy John should be in.

subconsciously, i likely put morris as a yay, because i want to see Pettitte get in.

cough
cough
Carlos Delgado
Go Jays
cough
cough

Wow Biggio ended up with 74.8%. Just short of 75%

I think Mattingly has a better case for the HOF than Andy Pettitte. Mattingly didn't have the longevity due to his back giving out, but he was beyond dominant from 1984-89 that I respect his career. I think the HOF should be for the best players from each era and Mattingly was an MVP and was dominant till he retired at 34. If he played 3 more years like he did from 93-95 then he gets in.

Pettitte in my opinion as a Red Sox fan who grew up during his entire career never had HOF on him. He is in the Hall of Very Good, but never dominated an entire season. He never won a Cy Young he finished 2nd in 1996, but only had 4 seasons where he finished in the top 5 of the Cy Young. The difference between Pettitte and somebody like Curt Schilling. Is that Schilling was dominant from 1996 till 2004 and finished 2nd for the Cy Young 4 times and that was because of Randy Johnson being even more dominant. Schilling has the highest Ks/per walk of his era. Mike Mussina and Curt Schilling are going to take 5-10 years to get into the Hall of Fame. I don't think Pettitte will get in, but he was very good. Also Schilling's postseason chops I think are better than Pettitte's. Pettitte dominated in the postseason, but as much as Schilling. Morris gets credit for the postseason, but his career ERA 3.90 in the non-steroid ERA makes not HOF worthy under my opinion.

I would rather see Don Mattingly's than Craig Biggio's get in the Hall of Fame. Biggio was good, but the 2nd base position in the NL wasn't that good and he hung on at the end to pile up numbers. I never watched Biggio and thought he was a HOFer.

Last edited:
Pete Rose, with acknowledgement that he did something he shouldn't.

I think Mattingly has a better case for the HOF than Andy Pettitte. Mattingly didn't have the longevity due to his back giving out, but he was beyond dominant from 1984-89 that I respect his career. I think the HOF should be for the best players from each era and Mattingly was an MVP and was dominant till he retired at 34. If he played 3 more years like he did from 93-95 then he gets in.

Pettitte in my opinion as a Red Sox fan who grew up during his entire career never had HOF on him. He is in the Hall of Very Good, but never dominated an entire season. He never won a Cy Young he finished 2nd in 1996, but only had 4 seasons where he finished in the top 5 of the Cy Young. The difference between Pettitte and somebody like Curt Schilling. Is that Schilling was dominant from 1996 till 2004 and finished 2nd for the Cy Young 4 times and that was because of Randy Johnson being even more dominant. Schilling has the highest Ks/per walk of his era. Mike Mussina and Curt Schilling are going to take 5-10 years to get into the Hall of Fame. I don't think Pettitte will get in, but he was very good. Also Schilling's postseason chops I think are better than Pettitte's. Pettitte dominated in the postseason, but as much as Schilling. Morris gets credit for the postseason, but his career ERA 3.90 in the non-steroid ERA makes not HOF worthy under my opinion.

I would rather see Don Mattingly's than Craig Biggio's get in the Hall of Fame. Biggio was good, but the 2nd base position in the NL wasn't that good and he hung on at the end to pile up numbers. I never watched Biggio and thought he was a HOFer.
I put Pettitte in the HOF because he's my favorite player ever, because he won a sh'load of titles, has the postseason wins record, had a high number of total wins especially for the era, and because of his cool "clutch" factor.

Wow Biggio ended up with 74.8%. Just short of 75%
basically 1 Fn vote.

howd you like to sit on that for a year!!

for everybody but him and piazza, their vote total went down.

Mattingly needs to have a Joe Torre managerial career to get in now...and that sucks.

So irritating that Rock Raines seemingly can't get in. He deserves it. He was Rickey without the mouth and stuck in a tiny market.

Also frustrating obviously for Biggio, but also Piazza. Someone saw some acne on his back once supposedly so that's going to keep him out? Here's a secret, baseball writers: I've never taken steroids and I've had pimples on my back at one time or another, too. Unbelievable something like that has such an impact.

So irritating that Rock Raines seemingly can't get in. He deserves it. He was Rickey without the mouth and stuck in a tiny market.

Also frustrating obviously for Biggio, but also Piazza. Someone saw some acne on his back once supposedly so that's going to keep him out? Here's a secret, baseball writers: I've never taken steroids and I've had pimples on my back at one time or another, too. Unbelievable something like that has such an impact.
I certainly hope this Piazza travesty ends soon. The greatest hitting catcher ever needs to be in.

I certainly hope this Piazza travesty ends soon. The greatest hitting catcher ever needs to be in.
I agree. Seriously, he's getting blackballed because of steroid suspicions and literally the ONLY "proof" is that he had bacne once. Are you kidding me?

And I'm not a Dodgers fan, I'm not a Mets fan, and I never particularly cared for Piazza. But this is a joke. He's absolutely a Hall of Fame player.

C
I agree. Seriously, he's getting blackballed because of steroid suspicions and literally the ONLY "proof" is that he had bacne once. Are you kidding me?

And I'm not a Dodgers fan, I'm not a Mets fan, and I never particularly cared for Piazza. But this is a joke. He's absolutely a Hall of Fame player.
Clemens was proven innocent by the United States Congress.

C

Clemens was proven innocent by the United States Congress.
Clemens is clearly a guy who used steroids. That said, who cares? Also, he was a clear Hall of Famer even before the steroid allegations. Same with Bonds. They were both all time greats even before the steroid stuff came into play. They should be in. You can't just pretend an entire era didn't happen.

That said, if Ken Griffey isn't a unanimous first ballot guy then anyone who doesn't vote for him should never be allowed near baseball again.

Clemens is clearly a guy who used steroids. That said, who cares? Also, he was a clear Hall of Famer even before the steroid allegations. Same with Bonds. They were both all time greats even before the steroid stuff came into play. They should be in. You can't just pretend an entire era didn't happen.

That said, if Ken Griffey isn't a unanimous first ballot guy then anyone who doesn't vote for him should never be allowed near baseball again.
Greg Maddux was more of an obvious guy to get 100% than Griffey Jr. Junior had all those injuries with the Reds I would say he has some doubt even though I think he was clean. If 20 guys left Maddux off their ballot NOBODY except Mariano Rivera will ever get 100% of the ballots to put him on it.

I thought there were 7 obvious HoFers on the ballot this year. Maddux, Glavine, Thomas, Bonds, Baines, Clemens, Piazza are all obvious HoFers IMO.

Schilling, Bagwell, Mussina are guys that I think aren't obvious, but will get in.

Biggio and Morris were never HoFers for me.

Next year Pedro Martinez, Randy Johnson, Ken Griffey Jr. are all obvious first ballot guys who should get 90% each. Biggio is going to get in next year even though I don't think he was ever a guy that I watched and said he is a HoFer.

I've never heard anyone suggest Junior wasn't clean. Hell, if he took roids he could have recovered from injury better. If not for those injuries he would be at the top of the list of power hitters in history. He would have shattered the HR record.

I guarantee he will get a higher percentage of votes than Maddux did, and I love Maddux. If he doesn't I will be stunned.

Jr isn't on the ballot next year. Sheffield and Delgado are the biggest bats.

Junior is 2016 I was wrong.

Only Pedro and Randy Johnson are locks.

Biggio will likely be the 3rd

Then expect spikes up for Tim Raines, Mike Mussina, Curt Schilling, Mike Piazza, Jeff Bagwell, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens

The only hitters that are coming who were good were Carlos Delgado, Nomar Garciaparra, and Gary Sheffield and none of them HOFers IMO.

Holy crap. Jayson Stark just retweeted this insane stat for Greg Maddux...any more questions about whether he's one of the best ever?

@jaysonst: Love this! RT @CoachSimmKSU: Greg Maddux's ability to command strike zone - Out of 20,421 batters faced, only 133 3-0 counts. Just 0.0065%

Unknown.jpeg

Holy crap. Jayson Stark just retweeted this insane stat for Greg Maddux...any more questions about whether he's one of the best ever?

@jaysonst: Love this! RT @CoachSimmKSU: Greg Maddux's ability to command strike zone - Out of 20,421 batters faced, only 133 3-0 counts. Just 0.0065%
How many of them do you think were intentional walks to the 8th hitter to pitch to the pitcher. I bet a majority of the 133 were just that. Great stat.

Maddux, Glavine, Thomas, Bonds, Clemens, Piazza, Bagwell, Schilling, Biggio, Mussina.

and not who will get in this year, just who you wouldve voted for.

mine:

bonds, clemens, glavine, maddux, morris, piazza, raines & thomas.

ultimately, id vote for bagwell, kent and mussina.

id never vote for biggio. not as long as mattingly doesnt get in.

just because he stayed healthy doesnt mean he was better.

I have sort of an inherant ambivilance toward the Hall b/c anyone who has had the pleasure of watching their favorite team win a world series series -- which is the whole point of the MLB -- knows that a vast array of random guys like Mike Timlin, Jim Leyritz, Shane Spencer, billy hatcher and Mark Lemke, etc. end up being extremely critical parts for at least one year and a lot of really good, but perhaps not elite guys need to step up (tim wakefield, david wells, derek lowe, juan uribe, etc). I appreciate the individual accomplishments but I don't really worry that much about who gets in and who doesn't.

The other thing I think makes the Hall a little odd is that people get hung up on this notion that somehow it's logical to compare players from the 50s to players from today, which makes no sense to me. Like folks want to put asterisks next to all the PED Era players but somehow don't care that every player who played prior to Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier did so in a league full of just white guys. I mean, think about how crazy that is.

But, regardless, I enjoy the Hall. So my ballott would be:

Bonds, Clemens, Glavine, Maddux, Morris, Piazza, Raines, Thomas, Edgar Martinez and Morris. I'd have zero problem voting for 10.
Ultimately, I'd agree, Bagwell, Kent and Mussina get in. I'm good with Schilling b/c as much of a loudmouth as he and as short as he is on W's, etc., the guy was an absolute stud in big games. Totally anecdotal, I suppose, but valuable nonetheless.

I'm high on guys like Morris and Pettitte (despite being a yankee hater) b/c to me pitching a ton of innings is an insanely valuable attribute as is pitching well in the postseason, which morris generally did and Pettitte, obviously, did as well.

i would never vote for Edgar. while im for the DH, im not for a DH in the Hall. too 1 dimensional, a reliever had a lot more going on.

My argument against this is basically two-fold:

1) If you're going to make DH a position then why wouldn't the best DHs be eligible for the Hall -- especially if you're a guy who's only asked to hit and you do it so well that you're constantly putting up huge OBP/OPS numbers. You mean to suggest that Manny Ramirez being a complete butcher in LF somehow made him a more valuable player?

2) I've had the pleasure of watching David Ortiz and whatever awesome synthetic PED he found circa 2003 absolutely terrorize opponents from the 3- or 4-hole for the past 11 years. It's such a ridiculous luxury to be able to simply pencil that guy's name in the lineup every day and watch basically every single pitcher you face try and figure out some way to work around him. How he wouldn't get into the Hall is beyond me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom