battle 3 pt shooting | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

battle 3 pt shooting

I found play by play data with shot coords on google's bigquery platform. It does not have this season's data, but here is an ugly chart of battle's shots from last season
battle18shot.png

My presumption, similar to going from the #3 option to the #1 option, is that in his freshmen year there were a lot more catch and shoot 3 pointers as opposed to off the dribble ones this year and last year.

Also, he's probably just not that good an outside shooter? I dunno, the shot is kinda hitchy. His FT% are consistently very good (80%ish each of the last 3 years) but I usually don't feel great when he shoots 3's.
29% is probably too low, but he was at 32% last year, considering the role in the offense hes going to play, that's probably about his true level?

Off topic a little bit, but want to keep with the data.

In the last 4 seasons (excluding the current one) in home games SU has held opponents to shooting 29% from 3 in the first half but 34% in the second half. SU's 3% has been 35% in the first half and 36% in the second.

some more random stuff
-teams shot worse on corner 3s, 30% vs 32% on all other 3s
-teams shot best during the first 4 minutes of each half. 34% in the first 4 minutes of the first vs 28% the rest and 39% vs 33% in the second

some more random stuff
-teams shot worse on corner 3s, 30% vs 32% on all other 3s
-teams shot best during the first 4 minutes of each half. 34% in the first 4 minutes of the first vs 28% the rest and 39% vs 33% in the second

Do you have home/road splits handy? Always hear it's harder, especially for road teams, to shoot in the dome

Do you have home/road splits handy? Always hear it's harder, especially for road teams, to shoot in the dome

There is probably a good argument for that, against SU the last 4 seasons teams have shot 31% at the Dome and 33% at home.

SU has the same problem though, 34% at home and 36% on the road.

More shooting in the Dome might be helpful though. Opposing teams shot 29% in the first half in the Dome vs 31% at home and in the second half improve to 34% in the Dome and 35% at home. SU has no second half difference on the road, but improve from 35% to 36%.

There is probably a good argument for that, against SU the last 4 seasons teams have shot 31% at the Dome and 33% at home.

SU has the same problem though, 34% at home and 36% on the road.

More shooting in the Dome might be helpful though. Opposing teams shot 29% in the first half in the Dome vs 31% at home and in the second half improve to 34% in the Dome and 35% at home. SU has no second half difference on the road, but improve from 35% to 36%.

I think teas in general will shoot better at home, so I don't know if the differential is meaningful? Also I would imagine our home opponents are on average a lower quality than road (road is almost all ACC while home is a mix of ACC and well, let's say, below ACC standard).

However the fact that we shoot worse on the road does make me think maybe there is something to it. Then again, 2 percentage points either way, may not be significant. Thanks for the info

So big shout out to Max Woolf on this. I have finally gotten it a bit organized. Here is opponent 3 pt shots against SU the previous 4 seasons (not the current one).
ncaa_count_attempts_half_log.png

interesting trend:
as a freshman, he took more threes than twos, 164 to 129
as a sophomore, he took more twos than threes, 347 to 239 - a ratio of 1 three for every 1.45 twos
so far as a junior, it is 174 twos to 71 threes, the ratio up to 1 three for every 2.45 twos.

but at the same time, his 3 pt percentage has gone down every year
freshman .366
sophomore .322
junior .296

which is really weird because you would think with greater selectivity you'd see improving accuracy
something bad has happened to his shot, i can't put my finger on it but it's so much less fluid

This season, Tyus is always looking to get to the rim. He wants the 2, and when he takes the 3 it's because that's all there is. It's not the best shot, and it's not the shot he really wants. My two cents.

he is always looking to take it to the rim?

he does, dont get me wrong, but i think we all want him to take it even more.

and the guy absolutely lives on the 3 point line. He takes more 2's stepping on the 3 point line than anyone else in basketball history. thats actually a fact.

CJ was a consistent mid-range shooter.
Other than the one outlier season, he was never a good 3pt shooter - and still isn't.
It's the main reason he's never made it in the NBA.

C.J. Fair

There are a handful of guys in the NBA who are GREAT mid-range shooters, but can't hit the 3-ball well.
They are mostly a dying breed now tho.

Triche's Frosh year was similar to CJ's Jr year - both only took WIDE OPEN THREES, and since there were several other scoring threats for opponents to worry about, they hit their shots at a nice rate.

His volume of 3's increased by 50-100% the next 3 seasons vs. Frosh year, so naturally his % went down.
When you're taking that many 3's, almost by definition the quality of the looks goes down as the # goes up.

Brandon Triche

it will be interesting to see how Zion adapts to this. Because he is fantastic from 10 feet and in. but his 3 point shot is so horrific, its almost scary. all of his coaches from 6-18 should be banned from basketball forever.

the stat Moqui really says more to me about the weapons around you and how your skill set best blends in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom