Battle shoots too many 3s | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Battle shoots too many 3s

To get to 34%, he'd have to shoot ~36.9% for the rest of the season. He can do that.
Howard was a crappy 3-point shooter before ACC play began and now has somehow turned into Steph Curry.

I wasn't saying it was a great percentage. That's the mark that determines whether or not it's a good idea for a guy to shoot 3's, though.

Assuming the alternative is 50% on his 2's.

Of course, Battle is right at 50% on his 2's, so there you go.

It's all relative. With better teammates I believe Battle would be shooting more efficiently. When you are forced to play 3 on 5 subsequently your percentages will take a dip bc opposing defenses have a much easier time keying in on you.

Agree that it is all relative. If the Syracuse starting 5 was made up of Battle and 4 random guys/gals on this message board and Battle was shooting 30% from 3 on that team, you would still want him shooting a lot of 3's. Should Battle be shooting less 3's on this team based on his 32% 3pt shooting percentage ? Maybe, maybe not, but I don't see a lot of other guys lighting it up out there as an alternative. It's just a bad offensive team.

It's all relative. With better teammates I believe Battle would be shooting more efficiently. When you are forced to play 3 on 5 subsequently your percentages will take a dip bc opposing defenses have a much easier time keying in on you.
I agree that he'd be shooting more efficiently with better teammates. there are a couple threes a game that he just settles for it. might be fatigue. this isn't some huge deal. i'd just like to see him at 4.5-5.0 3s per game

Battle forces a lot of shots. of course he makes a lot of tough shots too. but the kid is feeling pressure to perform like kobe. guarantee he checks himself against the draft prospects

I must have missed that in the handbook. I'd prefer battle shoots 4 a game and drives more. Not shoot "as many three's as he wishes" if he's only going to make 34%

So you expect a guard to shoot better than 50% from inside the arc? It's been done, but not often at the volume we're talking about.

So you expect a guard to shoot better than 50% from inside the arc? It's been done, but not often at the volume we're talking about.

Huh? Well he's currently making 50% of his 2p shots and 31.6% of his 3s so I'd rather him shoot more from closer. Higher percentage shots

Huh? Well he's currently making 50% of his 2p shots and 31.6% of his 3s so I'd rather him shoot more from closer. Higher percentage shots

And he shot 37% from 3 last year, which would make 3 pointers the better shot.

You don't stop shooting 3's because you're in a slump. He's better than a 31% 3 point shooter.

I’d rather Battle just dunked it every time down the court. His shooting percentage on those is REALLY high.

Well except for the Miami game in the ACC Tournament last season when we really could have used it. Sorry for being THAT guy and bringing it up.

This team is offensively fundamentally flawed. But only one good shooter away from being top 25. Next year .

And he shot 37% from 3 last year, which would make 3 pointers the better shot.

You don't stop shooting 3's because you're in a slump. He's better than a 31% 3 point shooter.

I know we won't agree with this but I don't think he's a very good three point shooter. I think he benefited last year from not having to be THE guy last year. There were nights where he could have been our 4th scoring option behind Lydon, Gillon, & White.

Lot of time left to figure it out and prove me wrong and that's what I am hoping for

I still think it's the back that's throwing his shot off. It all stems from there. If we had anyone else he could get right with some reduced playing time. But that ain't gonna happen.

The real problem is that the team plays streetball, showing zero resemblence of an offense. 0. Just look at our 3 assists last game. It's sad to think that passing the ball back n forth (as if they are merely playing catch around the key) is considered "offense" and then it's back to 1-on-1 when the shot clock gets low. Battle's shots are highly contested, which would account for a lower %.
Jimmy needs to show some interest and create plays. Fake it. At least attempt to run a set. What the are the the bigs doing in practice if they aren't a part of the offense in any fashion? And if you say they aren't very good, then that's on recruiting/coaching/development. Do the bigs merely catch the ball in practice and wet themselves, not knowing what to do, and then pass back out to a guard. Is there even a reason for them to attend practice?
From the Post-Standard article this morning on our offensive woes:

“Battle's trouble, it seems, is he has struggled to make threes off the dribble. He is converting 81 percent of his threes when they are assisted (eg, catch and shoot). But the Virginia game illustrated how hard it's become for him to make threes off the bounce and to recognize a good three from a contested three.

Brissett, by the way, is making all of his 3-pointers off the catch (hoop-math.com). Only Howard, who has the ball in his hands most of the time, has been able to make threes this season off the bounce.”

If Battle and Brissett are much better on catch and shoot 3-pointers, why not run one of them baseline and then run them off of one or two screens out on the perimeter or have them flare to the side? We used to do that with Cooney, Southerland and others. We used to set double screens to get Rautins space on the perimeter. Why don’t we do any of that this season? The figures compiled by the Post Standard show that Battle and Brissett and much better in catch and shoot situations at the 3-point line. There’s not enough creativity with our offense!

Last edited:
I know we won't agree with this but I don't think he's a very good three point shooter. I think he benefited last year from not having to be THE guy last year. There were nights where he could have been our 4th scoring option behind Lydon, Gillon, & White.

Lot of time left to figure it out and prove me wrong and that's what I am hoping for

I agree with this. The difference is he was only taking open threes last year and now he is the main option and taking deeper and more contested shots. Seeing where he is shooting from, I'm not surprised his percentage is lower.

I don't have the data on this, but my impression is that more of these three point attempts are coming under pressure from the shot lock running down. And "dinging" someone for jacking up a 3 with 3 seconds left on the clock is unfair. It's not a 3 he really wants to take, it's one he has to take guarded or unguarded. And the defense can tighten up is they know there's only a few ticks of the clock left.

If defenses are clogging up the lanes to prevent driving and if our Bigs can't catch the ball or finish if they do catch it, this forces more 3's.

I don't have the data on this, but my impression is that more of these three point attempts are coming under pressure from the shot lock running down. And "dinging" someone for jacking up a 3 with 3 seconds left on the clock is unfair. It's not a 3 he really wants to take, it's one he has to take guarded or unguarded. And the defense can tighten up is they know there's only a few ticks of the clock left.

If defenses are clogging up the lanes to prevent driving and if our Bigs can't catch the ball or finish if they do catch it, this forces more 3's.
Both Battle and Howard launch their share of threes early in the shot clock, perhaps with the realization that the team may not get as good a look later on. With this group of shooters, I'm actually not too bothered by this strategy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom