Battle v Bazley.... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Battle v Bazley....

Tyus Battle is an accomplished college player who shouldered an incredible burden on offense and in minutes played. He's a crucial part of a team that seems to fit together and like each other.

Don't know who this other guy is nor why anyone should care about him.
But his number will never hang from the Dome "rafters" the way Battle's may some day.

bazley likely goes first round as a frosh. tyus battle is getting passed over again. delicate balance and dance these days as to what's better for the program. maybe lesser draft worthy talent is the way to go.
but let's not pretend losing bazely is a good thing. only NC we won was with one and done named carmelo.

Lol Battle.

Hit a buzzer beater his freshman year, won us the game vs Duke though gillon sank the shot. Headed one of the most overachieving teams ive ever seen. Single handedly almost beat florida state.
I take another year of battle every time.

Im not salty about Bazley. We have the best player in the ACC and a supporting cast. Im giddy.

We’re not duke or kentucky. We need guys who stay and want to win syracuse a championship as part of their legacy. Not saying that’s what Battles goal is. But you can visually see more heart in that kid than kids who leave march, shrug their shoulders and find their agent.

I see Frank, Tyus and Oshae getting back on defense together and I see greatness. Thats just how I feel. Something feels different. I hope these kids come into this year ready

Hard to say. Bazely is so well rounded and we haven’t had a player like that in a LONG time. We haven’t had ANY forwards who can handle the ball like him since Carmelo, IMO. Good court vision who could’ve taken the load off of Frank since I believe he would’ve been deployed as a point forward type occasionally. Excited about Oshae and arrival of Carey but not sure how much better the backcourt of purely Tyus and Frank can be from last year.

What on earth does any of this mean?
I think those three will accomplish a lot this year. I think this is the year the Orange start becoming the force in the ACC we all thought we would be. They seem to have “it”

Hard to say. Bazely is so well rounded and we haven’t had a player like that in a LONG time. We haven’t had ANY forwards who can handle the ball like him since Carmelo, IMO. Good court vision who could’ve taken the load off of Frank since I believe he would’ve been deployed as a point forward type occasionally. Excited about Oshae and arrival of Carey but not sure how much better the backcourt of purely Tyus and Frank can be from last year.
I think Tyus is going to shock people. He got his feedback from the NBA, now he is preparing himself to show them what they want to see. I expect to see a strong leader that is more efficient offensively and a terror defensively. I think Tyus was a willing passer last year, it’s just that the rest of the guys weren’t quite ready offensively. This year, they are ready.

Bazely will probably be the better pro, but I think Battle is going to be the better college player

I was confused what you meant before I realized what I wrote. I think Battle is a better college player than Bazely would be, had he chosen to play for us for a year.
That’s not as funny.

Honestly if Hughes is as good as JB is claiming, then I would absolutely want Bazely for the upcoming season because Hughes would fit right into Battle's slot.

JB's best teams have usually come when he has a pair of dynamic multiskilled forwards (Coleman/Owens, Wallace/Burgan, Warrick/Anthony, etc). Brisset and Bazely together had potential to be right there with them.

Personally I suspect a large degree of hyperbole on JB's part with regards to Hughes, and that totally changes the equation... hard to turn down Battle's 19+ ppg (even if it isn't achieved particularly efficiently) and that level of experience.

[I have to say that I am pretty bullish on Bazely as a multi-contract NBA player, something I'm waaaay less confident in with regards to Battle. But the better NBA player doesn't always translate to winning more college basketball games, even though usually it helps ;)]

I agree but I’m not sure Hughes has to be quite as good as JB has said because highly hyped JC could also be a decent replacement for TB. I wish we had two players like this to replace every star that leaves the program!

Everyone seems to be focused on the individual talents of the players but I think how they help the overall play of the offensive is being overlooked. I see Bazely as an Uber-Marek, providing flow to the offensive. If true, Bazely would be a very good player AND make others better, which I don’t see TB doing. This is important because most teams rely a lot on their PG to provide this, but it is not one of Frank strengths.

Of course defense also counts and as Moqui has pointed out, TB might be harder to replace on that side of the ball.

This assumes that OB didn’t leave because of Bazely and Bazely wouldn’t cause locker room problems.

Honestly if Hughes is as good as JB is claiming, then I would absolutely want Bazely for the upcoming season because Hughes would fit right into Battle's slot.

JB's best teams have usually come when he has a pair of dynamic multiskilled forwards (Coleman/Owens, Wallace/Burgan, Warrick/Anthony, etc). Brisset and Bazely together had potential to be right there with them.

Personally I suspect a large degree of hyperbole on JB's part with regards to Hughes, and that totally changes the equation... hard to turn down Battle's 19+ ppg (even if it isn't achieved particularly efficiently) and that level of experience.

[I have to say that I am pretty bullish on Bazely as a multi-contract NBA player, something I'm waaaay less confident in with regards to Battle. But the better NBA player doesn't always translate to winning more college basketball games, even though usually it helps ;)]

Somewhat surprised by the almost unanimous choice of Tyus here, this is a pretty tough question IMO. Battle was huge for us last year, and I know he was asked to do a ton for a team that didn't have that many other offensive options, but the reality is that he was fairly inefficient in that capacity, shooting less than 40% overall. That's not a knock on him; lesser players might have done worse under such difficult conditions. But to think that Battle would have a bigger impact than Bazley next year--and Bazley was by all accounts a very special player--you'd have to assume Battle will make major improvements on last year's numbers. There are lot of other considerations that might shift this decisions in Battle's favor, like zone experience, overall team chemistry, comparing a Junior vs. freshman, etc, but when we look at Battle's efficiency, it's not clear he'd be the better player.

Not trying to be pessimistic, and I'm totally over Bazley not coming, but I'm coming at this question thinking about what kind of player we're getting with Battle next year. Will the offensive load be spread around better, allowing him to be more efficient? Or will he still be expected to shoulder the bulk of the scoring and will his efficiency suffer as a result? Not to mention he's clearly eyeing the NBA after next year and will want to maximize his exposure, possibly meaning more forced shots than we might prefer. I think the truth may be somewhere in the middle, with his efficiency coming up but maybe not to 2016/2017 levels.

Rhetorical question anyway, and overall I'm ecstatic to have Battle back. As in life, best to focus on what you have rather than what you don't.

With Bazley, SU would have had that dynamic (as described by others here) alpha 4 that seems so hard to come by. And even if Battle was better for the team, S.U. has less need for good/productive guards overall than good/productive front line players. So for me, it's not a head-to-head talent issue, but a greater team need thingy.

But a smart team, also, will adapt to what they have/don't have. Ship has sailed, and all that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom