Battle v Bazley.... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Battle v Bazley....

Easy to say Battle but we don’t know what type of college player Bazley would of been.

i've posted probably 30 times i'd love to have tyus battle back in orange. best case scenario for an orange fan. he's one of the best ever to play here. but i'm doubtful another year will help his future draft stock a lick. for reasons i have listed around 30 times. the NBA drafts youth and potential. in case you missed that.

I will take Battle because my understanding is Bazely meant no Brissett. So the decision is really Bazely or both Battle and Brissett gone.

i've posted probably 30 times i'd love to have tyus battle back in orange. best case scenario for an orange fan. he's one of the best ever to play here. but i'm doubtful another year will help his future draft stock a lick. for reasons i have listed around 30 times. the NBA drafts youth and potential. in case you missed that.
It wont imo either. Hes built for college basketball and some kind of pro league outside the NBA!

Very few expected Ty back, so therefore, very few expected us to have both Ty and Baz.

So the question becomes... are we better off the way things played out or would we have been better off w Baz and no Ty ?

Ty brings a proven quantity to the table, albeit at a position of less need.

Baz, if appears to have a higher ceiling, how close could he have come to reaching that ceiling as a frosh ?

Assuming Baz was going to be a one and done, then we are only talking about one season in either situation.

As good as Baz was likely to be it might be a stretch to say he would have been good enough to offset Ty's 19 PPG, great D, and experience. Through Bras into the equation, and i think we are easily better off this way.
Tyus Battle is an accomplished college player who shouldered an incredible burden on offense and in minutes played. He's a crucial part of a team that seems to fit together and like each other.

Don't know who this other guy is nor why anyone should care about him.
But his number will never hang from the Dome "rafters" the way Battle's may some day.

I have to imagine it is a one or the other so this discussion has merit, in my opinion. If Bazley is coming here, with the expectations of being the featured player, I doubt Battle comes back. Without Bazley, Battle still gets to be the alpha guard with one of his best friends as option 1a.

In college, talent mixed with experience is gold. I know we could’ve used an All-ACC talent at forward over guard, but I think if you asked me this, at any point after our tourney run, I’d say Battle over Bazley.

Hoping Hughes can play forward, because if he can, this is a very talented and experienced starting 5, with some firepower off the bench in Carey, Hughes and Sidibe.

I don’t think it’s as clear cut as others. Looking strictly at the roster and not feelings about each player, it’s possible we’d be a stronger team with baz simply because of the position he plays and how strong we are at guard.

Fair point and an interesting take. I don't think as much about roster construction as the kid you're getting. I have absolutely nothing against Bazely and don't know him, so I'm not knocking his character at all. But what I do know is that Battle was hustling his a$$ off in the final minute of 20-point loss to Carolina in the ACC tournament when most people thought we had no chance of making the NCAAs. I also know he's All-ACC Academic.

While neither of those things make him the next Lebron, it's really good when your best player is bought in to the program, great in the lockerroom hard-working and smart. That goes a long way in the upside-down world of college hoops.

Very few expected Ty back, so therefore, very few expected us to have both Ty and Baz.

the only comment I'll make is that the amount of people that expected ty back = the exact amount of people that expected us to have both ty and baz. because NO ONE saw the G league coming.

Also: "expected" is probably 0. but i thought the entire time there was always a chance ty would be back. and those chances increased over time imo. but even until 2 nights ago, i never "expected" him back.

Battle by a million miles.

He will compete for national player of the year and give us a chance at a national title.

We all agree that a banners more important than a first round draft streak, correct?

Anyone remember McCullough? Would you have rather that (even if he was healthy) or MCW to have been on that team.

Fair point and an interesting take. I don't think as much about roster construction as the kid you're getting. I have absolutely nothing against Bazely and don't know him, so I'm not knocking his character at all. But what I do know is that Battle was hustling his a$$ off in the final minute of 20-point loss to Carolina in the ACC tournament when most people thought we had no chance of making the NCAAs. I also know he's All-ACC Academic.

While neither of those things make him the next Lebron, it's really good when your best player is bought in to the program, great in the lockerroom hard-working and smart. That goes a long way in the upside-down world of college hoops.

That was why I was so happy about this. He's as good a kid as any. It would have been kind of weird for him to bail with such unfavorable feedback in spite of his apparent strong values, but mostly it's just nice to have an unusually likable person on the team. You know, since college sports is generally horrible when you think hard enough about it.

But there's more...

Some of us (and I've been critical of Battle's game at times this year) might have forgotten how good a player he's been at times. Not just a high-scoring guy who forces a few ugly step-backs a game, but the kid who dunked on everyone in that high school clip, who drives fearlessly and finishes pretty well (and maybe could finish better?), who single-handedly beat UVa when nobody could guard him one-on-one.

Despite the NBA nonsense, his skillset is far from a finished product. This is pretty exciting.

No disrespect for Battle, but I was excited to have a McDonalds all-American on the team again. I thought that if Hughes was a decent shooter from outside that our team would be better even if Battle didn’t return.

Now, with that said, in this scenario where we can only choose Bazley or Battle, I want to say that without Bazley we added Braswell and probably would not have him if Bazley was still coming. So, having Battle and Braswell I think is better than Bazley. Now the team is much deeper and more versatile.

Tyus is Battle tested. Baz is not.
I think Tyus wins if he and Baz had the chance to Battle it out.
It's best to go into Battle with your most experienced players, like Tyus.
Gotta win the Battle first before winning the war. Advantage Tyus.
Gee, looks like Battle wins.

OK, sorry for my Battle to come up with play on words (or names).

No disrespect for Battle, but I was excited to have a McDonalds all-American on the team again. I thought that if Hughes was a decent shooter from outside that our team would be better even if Battle didn’t return.

Now, with that said, in this scenario where we can only choose Bazley or Battle, I want to say that without Bazley we added Braswell and probably would not have him if Bazley was still coming. So, having Battle and Braswell I think is better than Bazley. Now the team is much deeper and more versatile.

I also think one thing people overlook with battle is the stones this kid has. He’s hit numerous big shots in his career and isn’t afraid of the moment but actually looks for it. I can’t think of anyone else in the country who I want taking the last shot. That alone puts him above Bazley imo.

This isn't even close IMO. Battle without a doubt.

Simply because Baz was most likely 1 and done. If not, then 2 years of Baz MAY be better than 1 more of Battle.

Also adding in the fact that Battle is a proven quantity.

I don’t think it’s as clear cut as others. Looking strictly at the roster and not feelings about each player, it’s possible we’d be a stronger team with baz simply because of the position he plays and how strong we are at guard.

That took courage. For awhile I didnt think anyone would say DB(not that you actually did).

I also agree with the folks who say that we dont know what we were getting with DB, but draw an entirely different conclusion from it than their negative one. I can see the arguments either way on this one, but the kid was the #8 recruit in the country for a reason.

That took courage. For awhile I didnt think anyone would say DB(not that you actually did).

I also agree with the folks who say that we dont know what we were getting with DB, but draw an entirely different conclusion from it than their negative one. I can see the arguments either way on this one, but the kid was the #8 recruit in the country for a reason.
I agree that having DB would help more from a roster balance stand point. It's a pretty close call to be honest. I was really high on Bazely and watched him play quite a bit. He is a really good all around player that makes everyone around him better with his shooting to space the floor and passing. I think Battle is a really good player and is a great leader and would be someone at the end of game who could get you a basket more than I see that from Bazely. Battle is also really great at the top of the zone. To be honest 1 month ago I thought there was no chance we have either so I'm just happy to have Battle back.

DB May have just used Syracuse for an NBA audition so ...

Next year we should be nicknamed the Killer B's. Battle, Brissett, Bourama, Buddy, Braswell.

Would have really worked if we had Bazely.
No Bud Poloquin? ;)

Tough to say for sure, but I think you always take the known quantity.

Also, I would be worried Baz would be auditioning for the NBA versus playing in the system. However, his potential was really exciting.

I think Battle, now that he won't have to play 40 mpg, will really have the energy to just be an attacking force on the offensive end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom