Battle's shooting form | Syracusefan.com

Battle's shooting form

Millhouse

Living Legend
I don't know if it just becomes more apparent when they struggle but to my eyes, his shooting form is getting worse than when he was younger. Whatever he did over the summer is not working

What is McNamara's function on this staff if he can't teach people how to shoot?

Battle Howard Brissett Carey = 27%

I'm so tired of our shooting. I know the zone works but this garbage is unwatchable. No one Boeheim recruits out of high school can shoot, we keep having to try to find free agents who can make a shot (Hughes, White, Gillon, Gbinije)

I don't know if it just becomes more apparent when they struggle but to my eyes, his shooting form is getting worse than when he was younger. Whatever he did over the summer is not working

What is McNamara's function on this staff if he can't teach people how to shoot?

I'm so tired of our shooting. I know the zone works but this garbage is unwatchable. No one Boeheim recruits out of high school can shoot, we keep having to try to find free agents who can make a shot (Hughes, White, Gillon, Gbinije)

I still contend that we would shoot a completely respectable percentage if we took shots in the context of an offensive scheme designed to generate quality shots. A high portion of our shots are just junk throw away shots because the players realize at some point during the possesion that they aren't going to magically get an open look with no offense and no purposeful passing or movement.

There is no 'teaching' players at this level how to shoot. Muscle memory is what it is.

I still contend that we would shoot a completely respectable percentage if we took shots in the context of an offensive scheme designed to generate quality shots. A high portion of our shots are just junk throw away shots because the players realize at some point during the possesion that they aren't going to magically get an open look with no offense and no purposeful passing or movement.
there is a lot of junk but not enough junk to get down to 27%.

we are a hero ball rock fighting relic

...this garbage is unwatchable.

This.

I've watched a lot of bad teams in my life, but the past few years of SU basketball offense might just rank at the bottom of the list (and I watched most every New England Patriots game in 1990). This is supposed to be entertainment. But it's not, it's an exercise in torture.

Battle seems to have good shooting form when he is taking mid-range jumpers but his 3 point shot often still has a little hitch in it. He is obviously strong enough to shoot 3 point shots so I don't know why there is a difference in shooting form. It's frustrating.

Battle seems to have good shooting form when he is taking mid-range jumpers but his 3 point shot often still has a little hitch in it. He is obviously strong enough to shoot 3 point shots so I don't know why there is a difference in shooting form. It's frustrating.

IMO, the hitch has become more pronounced over the past couple of weeks.

This isn't just a Battle issue (a few guys on the team are culprits), but does anyone on the staff tell them taking long 2 point shots isn't very intelligent?

=No one Boeheim recruits out of high school can shoot
Hopefully Girard, whom JB recruited out of Glens Falls, NY and who shattered the NYS HS scoring record, will be able to still be a scorer when he gets here for next year.

IMO, the hitch has become more pronounced over the past couple of weeks.

This isn't just a Battle issue (a few guys on the team are culprits), but does anyone on the staff tell them taking long 2 point shots isn't very intelligent?

The game this Saturday was the first one where I thought the hitch was very pronounced, I don't remember seeing it nearly as bad early in the year...

Hopefully Girard, whom JB recruited out of Glens Falls, NY and who shattered the NYS HS scoring record, will be able to still be a scorer when he gets here for next year.
Hopefully. There's a world of difference in closing speed of D1 guards and local high school kids. Girard is a heckuva athlete, but there's going to be a learning curve.

Carey shot 45% in the same AAU league Girard shot 37 percent in last summer and we see how that’s going.

I saw a few of those games. Not the same. Jalen scored a lot on drives to the basket, steals and fast breaks. Can’t compare his FG% to a kid that puts up a lot of 3’s.

I saw a few of those games. Not the same. Jalen scored a lot on drives to the basket, steals and fast breaks. Can’t compare his FG% to a kid that puts up a lot of 3’s.

That was Carey’s three point percentage.

52 of 120.

Pretty sure Cusefan0307 was talking specifically about 3 point shooting. In the Nike EYBL last year, Girard was 40 for 109 from 3 (.367%). In 2017 Nike EYBL, Carey was 38 for 86 from 3 (.442%). I'm actually surprised Carey's numbers were so high from 3, since his shot looks pretty terrible these days.

City Rocks (@TheCityRocks) - 2018 NIKE EYBL - Roster - #11 - Joseph Girard III - G

Playaz Club (@jsNJPlayaz) - 2017 NIKE EYBL - Roster - #5 - Jalen Carey - G

Pretty sure Cusefan0307 was talking specifically about 3 point shooting. In the Nike EYBL last year, Girard was 40 for 109 from 3 (.367%). In 2017 Nike EYBL, Carey was 38 for 86 from 3 (.442%). I'm actually surprised Carey's numbers were so high from 3, since his shot looks pretty terrible these days.

City Rocks (@TheCityRocks) - 2018 NIKE EYBL - Roster - #11 - Joseph Girard III - G

Playaz Club (@jsNJPlayaz) - 2017 NIKE EYBL - Roster - #5 - Jalen Carey - G

that is not encouraging

You know, the question about who works with our players on their shooting would be great for the coach's show.

I really don’t think this is on GMac its more on Jim Boeheim.
He is the HC.
Our shooting hasn’t been good and since we don’t care to recruit a Big with offensive skills we can’t complain.

Shooting a basketball 101

Might as well start here. Maybe we can learn it before tonight's game. If G Mac can't teach someone how to shoot no one can.

If you want to be a superb shooter, you MUST HAVE very good basketball shooting form and technique. However, you don't need "perfect" shooting form.

In other words, your shooting form will never be 100%, and you don't want to be robotic.

With that said, you'll never be a great shooter unless you have "satisfactory" form and mechanics.

Stationary Basketball Shooting Form and Technique
In this section, we give you the raw form and mechanics of stationary shooting. In other words, this section does NOT address the fundamentals of shooting on the move and more advanced footwork you'll need for game situations.

Here's a quick roadmap of the stationary shooting fundamentals:
  1. Eyes on Target
  2. Stance and Balance
  3. Shot Pocket
  4. Grip
  5. Balance Hand
  6. Delivery
  7. Upforce and Landing
  8. Follow Through
  9. Correct Shot
If we win it will be a good night GOSU :)

There are still plenty of games left for Battle to improve those numbers from deep, and we will need it. He's actually taking less 3s this season than he did two years ago, but he is also making less, hence the lower % so far. However, shooting overall 45% is very respectable for a guard. Battle has always had that little hitch. Whether you think it's worse than it was 2 years ago, that's fine. Hard to really tell imo. Shooting "form" only matters if you cannot make shots. Michael Redd had a pretty awful shot but he made close to 40% of his threes in his prime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom