Baye | Syracusefan.com

Baye

A somewhat hidden story that showed up again yesterday was JB's confidence in Baye. The kid plays his butt off; I am glad to see him getting meaningful court time.

Honestly, is it his confidence in Baye that was telling, or his complete lack of confidence in Coleman?

Honestly, is it his confidence in Baye that was telling, or his complete lack of confidence in Coleman?

Probably a little of both. We are lucky to have a guy like BMK on the roster.

Probably a little of both. We are lucky to have a guy like BMK on the roster.

Agreed. Having CJ play the center isn't an option I'd like to see again. Although I wonder who of our forwards that duty might fall to now. Grant seems to be the 'beefiest' of the three now and for sure he has the best length. Interesting.

If Coleman would dunk the ball when in close, the confidence would return on the offensive end.

I just don't think his athleticism is there yet. I am confident he will get there, but he's too heavy, too slow, too young to do that yet. That one foot shot from three feet away was one of the worst things I saw yesterday.

I just don't think his athleticism is there yet. I am confident he will get there, but he's too heavy, too slow, too young to do that yet. That one foot shot from three feet away was one of the worst things I saw yesterday.

Good god that was terrible. Gotta send that in Jerome

He got excited.

He got excited.

He should have used that excitement to jump as high as he could and shook the hell out of that rim. That's what he gets paid for...

LOL. He cant dunk the ball when he is close to the basket because he doesnt have the athleticism yet? Where did his athleticism go? He enrolled at SU and suddenly he cant dunk?

Im pretty sure this was filmed when he weighed more than he does now...or, at least had more body fat.I like the off-the-backboard, one-handed put-back at the end.

Yeah, James does that with a windmill in the layup line. Coleman doesn't have great ups. Not yet anyway. He can dunk. And he should have. I'm not sure why he didn't.

Yeah, James does that with a windmill in the layup line. Coleman doesn't have great ups. Not yet anyway. He can dunk. And he should have. I'm not sure why he didn't.
That Coleman overly excited miss would make a great gif. Can somebody do that for me?

I have to eat some crow, I am a huge Baye fan, always was, but I thought we might redshirt him this year because I thought Rak would explode and DC2 would be very good, glad we didn't do that. It's clear he is JB's #1 big man right now.

Good god that was terrible. Gotta send that in Jerome

The first game against SDSU Coleman went nuts went he tapped in a follow shot---it may have been our first (or second?) basket of the season and he was really animated. That guy had fire and passion and confidence. That all seems gone now. I find it incredible to think some people are doubting whether he's athletic enough to throw one down.

The first game against SDSU Coleman went nuts went he tapped in a follow shot---it may have been our first (or second?) basket of the season and he was really animated. That guy had fire and passion and confidence. That all seems gone now. I find it incredible to think some people are doubting whether he's athletic enough to throw one down.

Let me clarify since after re-reading my post it may seem unclear what I was trying to say. I have no doubt that Coleman can dunk. My question is whether or not he is confident enough in his own athleticism to go up and dunk that ball that he airballed yesterday. Which is what he should have done.

It seems like the first play of the game is designed to get Coleman a look. When he screws it up...Baye trots to the scorer's table a minute later.

Baye might just want to keep the warm ups off and set up shop at the scorer's table right as the game starts.

Let me clarify since after re-reading my post it may seem unclear what I was trying to say. I have no doubt that Coleman can dunk. My question is whether or not he is confident enough in his own athleticism to go up and dunk that ball that he airballed yesterday. Which is what he should have done.

I'm genuinely starting to think we need to hire a new assistant to work exclusively with our big men. I saw John Wallace at the game yesterday...what's he up to?

I think the issue he can't dunk without taking a step. I believe he can drop step dunk (one step) but a standing dunk is difficult and I don't think he is in good enough shape to do it. I would bet only James, Grant and Rak can do that on the team. Maybe Baye too.

Baye is a good player. He is far and away our best post defender. His positional defense allows our wings to extend out to three point shooters. Baye also has greatly improved hands and stays within himself on offense. Rak is a better shot blocker but our defense is designed for a lot of our shot blocking to come from the forwards on the weak side.

I have to eat some crow, I am a huge Baye fan, always was, but I thought we might redshirt him this year because I thought Rak would explode and DC2 would be very good, glad we didn't do that. It's clear he is JB's #1 big man right now.
not that clear to me - the #1 big man is Rak, who plays substantially more minutes and is the guy in the paint during what Magic Johnson calls "winning time."

as for DC, the simplest thing he could do right now would be to fix his free throw shooting. He does an excellent job at drawing fouls, but he just can't convert. He'd be averaging close to a full point per game more - and teams would change the way they defend him - if he could just hit 65% from the stripe. Hell, it could probably be more than 1 ppg, because his pt time might increase with the increased offensive production.

I think the issue he can't dunk without taking a step. I believe he can drop step dunk (one step) but a standing dunk is difficult and I don't think he is in good enough shape to do it. I would bet only James, Grant and Rak can do that on the team. Maybe Baye too.

CJ can as well. I've seen him do it.

I thought BMK drew the charge on that one play. I think he was called for the block because of the unusual and almost unfair yard and a half he occupied with his legs spread out in a crouch. It was like he took 7 foot of length and converted it into 5 foot of horizontal blockage.

Wha...? NFW IMO. I'd be shocked if the following couldn't dunk off two feet (set, no step): DC2, Baye, Rak, Grant, CJ, James, Gbinje. MCW may have the length as well. TC is athletic enough - he might be able to - but likely needs a step. We're talking about D1 size or athleticism (or both in some cases). Flat foot dunking is just not that hard for D1-level hoop athletes assuming they're at least 6'6", and Coleman is at least 6'9". I'm sure it's easy for him.

Wha...? NFW IMO. I'd be shocked if the following couldn't dunk off two feet (set, no step): DC2, Baye, Rak, Grant, CJ, James, Gbinje. MCW may have the length as well. TC is athletic enough - he might be able to - but likely needs a step. We're talking about D1 size or athleticism (or both in some cases). Flat foot dunking is just not that hard for D1-level hoop athletes assuming they're at least 6'6", and Coleman is at least 6'9". I'm sure it's easy for him.

Probably right. I've seen a guy up here in VT who is 6'4" or 5" and white do it. He's a med student up here who played at some mid major or lower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom