Baylor in trouble | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Baylor in trouble

I have a friend who is a Terps fan, and to this day he believe Melo was paid to go to SU.
They blame it on the money, not that fact that Gary Williams SUCKED at recruiting in state from Maryland. OK he got Juan Dixon from Calvert Hall in Baltimore. What about:

Melo
Rudy Gay
Donte Greene
CJ Fair
Josh selby
Will Barton
Kevin Durant
Mike Beasley
Chris Wright
Jeff Green
Austin Freeman
Henry Sims

LOT of talent in the Baltimore/DC area that Williams struck out on

They blame it on the money, not that fact that Gary Williams SUCKED at recruiting in state from Maryland. OK he got Juan Dixon from Calvert Hall in Baltimore. What about:

Melo
Rudy Gay
Donte Greene
CJ Fair
Josh selby
Will Barton
Kevin Durant
Mike Beasley
Chris Wright
Jeff Green
Austin Freeman
Henry Sims

LOT of talent in the Baltimore/DC area that Williams struck out on

was just gonna post this. Gary didn't want to play the game with the elite players, regardless of whether they came legally or not. That put Maryland out of it almost at the beginning...

Perry Jones III declared for draft. Miller mulling over decision with Drew this afternoon. I think Miller should stay, but it'll be hard not to go, especially if anything big comes up in this investigation

Perry Jones III declared for draft. Miller mulling over decision with Drew this afternoon. I think Miller should stay, but it'll be hard not to go, especially if anything big comes up in this investigation
I'd bett a lot of money that a LOT of those impermissible calls/texts were to Miller

Every program bends the rules or flat out breaks the rules at one point or another. To be honest if Syracuse happens to pay recruits to come, I really wouldn't care at all. I may catch some heat for that statement but it is what it is.
I suspect that you're not a Syracuse University alumnus. I suspect those that most non-alum fans care 99.44% about what happens on between the lines.

Everyone here (other than that Hoya dude and some lost Huskies) would like to see the Orangemen win. For me, and I suspect most alumni, those wins need to be earned within the spirit (if not the letter) of the rules. Paying players to sign a LOI, or paying players beyond what the rules allow (I would prefer to see "full cost of attendance" scholarships) is beyond the spirit of the rules and is not something that I would want to see happen.

oh yeah they all think that

They all think that about Donte too. After all, every player from the Baltimore area should play for Maryland, right?

I guess they forgot that Carmelo and Troy Weaver knew each other already, and Melo played for TW's AAU team. And I guess they also forgot that no one cares about Maryland hoops. ;)

Carmelo's recruiting "battle" was easily overshadowed by Maryland's reaction after losing him.

I also heard they were actively recruiting a kid that was already playing for Ohio U a couple of years ago when Ohio won a few games in the tourney. The player and his dad both said Bruce Pearl (not yet fired from TN) and Scott Drew had both initiated conversations with him about transferring.

I suspect that you're not a Syracuse University alumnus. I suspect those that most non-alum fans care 99.44% about what happens on between the lines.

Everyone here (other than that Hoya dude and some lost Huskies) would like to see the Orangemen win. For me, and I suspect most alumni, those wins need to be earned within the spirit (if not the letter) of the rules. Paying players to sign a LOI, or paying players beyond what the rules allow (I would prefer to see "full cost of attendance" scholarships) is beyond the spirit of the rules and is not something that I would want to see happen.

From another alum: Right on.
People who don't have an 'investment' (emotional/sentimental) in the school probably view the sport purely as 'entertainment.' For me, though, the school's reputation is a small part of my identity, as much as the town where i grew up. I'd never want it disparaged — fairly. Never would want it to come into disrepute. This was a rough year, pride-wise, with the Fine business and then the drugs, and then the oft-reported academic issues with Fab. There's no reason why we can't have a successful CLEAN program with our history and with the Dome as such a powerful recruiting tool. If we can't match Kentucky, Duke and Carolina every year, fine - as long as we compete within the rules.

If Noel chooses UK or Gtown, most on this board will claim he was paid. How many will claim the same if he chooses SU?
dont worry because some "leverage" is def being thrown around by them.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...or-bears-teams-facing-possible-ncaa-sanctions

If anyone is surprised by this than i dont know where you have been

I know the people who ripped mr out here a couple of week's ago for predicting that Baylor was going to get accused of something are shocked. But I am sure that they'll tell you that this is nothing.

As I said then, small conservative schools with very little athletic success don't suddenly become powerhouses in the two major sports without something helping them (especially when surrounded by schools with historical success, bigger fan bases and much more press coverage). They got lucky when they hired the Houston coach and RG3 followed him to BU (RG3 was on his way to Houston) but that does not explain basketball.

was just gonna post this. Gary didn't want to play the game with the elite players, regardless of whether they came legally or not. That put Maryland out of it almost at the beginning...

Yeah there was a huge Washington Post story about this a few years ago.

From another alum: Right on.
People who don't have an 'investment' (emotional/sentimental) in the school probably view the sport purely as 'entertainment.' For me, though, the school's reputation is a small part of my identity, as much as the town where i grew up. I'd never want it disparaged — fairly. Never would want it to come into disrepute. This was a rough year, pride-wise, with the Fine business and then the drugs, and then the oft-reported academic issues with Fab. There's no reason why we can't have a successful CLEAN program with our history and with the Dome as such a powerful recruiting tool. If we can't match Kentucky, Duke and Carolina every year, fine - as long as we compete within the rules.

I respect your opinion, but I am also entitled to mine. I grew up in Syracuse my entire life, born and raised, have had season tickets since as long as I could remember, am in fact a Syracuse alum, and in fact have had many personal interactions with players, coaches, and various staff members throughout my life and still to this day. The university and town have always been a big part of my life, as have the traditional walks up the hill through the snow to cheer on the Orange.

I won't deny that this past year was rough and at times difficult, but will you two take a second to get off your high horse and step into reality. What exactly is wrong about viewing the sport as "entertainment"? What exactly do you view the sport and team as if it is not simply "entertainment"? Enlighten me. I am in no way pleading for the program to start blatantly buying players and showing complete disregard for the rules. What my point was is that I think any fan would be ignorant and naive to believe that our team, or any program worth its weight in salt throughout America, is squeaky clean. Please believe me when I say I can almost tell you for a 100% fact through personal experience/knowledge that EVERY TEAM IN AMERICA goes outside the rules to a certain extent, including Duke, Carolina, and Kentucky. I want Syracuse to win just as much as anyone and I just like all fans had to deal with the jabs from friends and frustrations with the negative media coverage this past year. It sucked.

Please don't talk down to me or anyone on this board just because you think you're the only Syracuse alum who cares about the school, the town, and our reputation and image. Everyone on this board, both readers and posters, pulls for the Orange and comprises Cuse Nation, so don't be condescending.

Yeah there was a huge Washington Post story about this a few years ago.

read that article. I actually respected him a lot for not getting into that world, but if I was a MD alum I'd be very frustrated. Huge catch- 22 in wanting to be morally and ethically responsible and being able to win in big-time D-1 ball.

It seems to me that these "text message" scandals are absolutely nothing compared to what most people think goes on in recruiting. Just reading between the lines of what francis and others have said about NN's recruitment, I suspect that a few too many text messages is not even on the radar. Hell, the kid himself wrote an article on ESPN dot com detailing how he was implied sexual favors by Kentucky fans and was subject to egregious violations of the contact dead period by Kentucky coaches and players. The NCAA doesn't bat an eye at this...

I wonder if these "text message" violations are the equivalent of the tax evasion raps the feds slapped on mobsters. They knew these people were up to no good on a grand scale, but the simplest thing to do was nail them on much smaller crimes just keep up a drumbeat of death by 1000 cuts.

I suspect that you're not a Syracuse University alumnus. I suspect that most non-alum fans care 99.44% about what happens on between the lines.

Please don't talk down to me or anyone on this board just because you think you're the only Syracuse alum who cares about the school, the town, and our reputation and image. Everyone on this board, both readers and posters, pulls for the Orange and comprises Cuse Nation, so don't be condescending.
Nobody is talking down to you.

The comment in bold was from my previous post. It was in response to someone who openly advocated paying players to attend Syracuse University. It sounds like you don't share that sentiment. I'm glad to hear it.

The point that was being made is that those that look at Syracuse University sports as more than just entertainment would never advocate a blatant violation of the rules. All alums should fall in that category, as well as true friends of the University... such as yourself.

Here is what I've come to learn about college sports fans in general and Syracuse University sports fans in particular: there are those that look at collegiate sports in the same way as professional sports, and there are those that look at collegiate sports as part of the University.

Those in the former group are quick to make statement akin to "Player X sucks!" or "The coach sucks, fire his a$$ now!". From my observation, these people don't really care about the student athletes. They only care about wins and losses or how much they can make on a particular bet.

For those of us in the latter group, these comments are offensive. While "Player X" may be struggling, they are student athletes trying their best to represent the University. There are more civil ways to convey one's frustration with that player's performance on the field. There may well be off-the-field/court issues that are affecting his/her play. These are young people that can use our support and encouragement. Similarly, we like to think that the coaches that are hired to lead the teams actually care about the student athletes. While the teams may be struggling, we like to think that the coaches have the best interest of the student athletes and the University as a whole at heart and that their intentions are always well placed. Yes, sometimes things don't work out and coaching changes need to be made. At Syracuse, coaches should be given a fair chance to implement their ideas. This likely leads to coaches being retained a year or two to long. While that can be frustrating, I'll take that over having coaching changes made any time that something's not quite right.

I suspect that many in the former group may not be able to relate to the other group's viewpoints. They may consider members of the other groups to be wimps or to be soft... it is about winning, after all.

Do I wish that the "pro viewpoint" group was smaller and that some from that camp would make the transition to the "college viewpoint" camp? Of course. Do I wish that those with the "pro viewpoint" would go away? No, the game day experience needs as many Orange fans as possible. Does it get frustrating on SyracuseFan.com to see the "pro viewpoint" posters rattle their sabers and exercise their loud mouths at seemingly every opportunity? I'll leave that answer as an exercise for the reader.

At the end of the day, a successful basketball/football program can do great things for a school. When Nova went to the FF several years back, applications absolutely skyrocketed the following year, just because many students like going to a school with a good basketball team, who woulda thought.

More applications = school can be more selective = better students = better national reputation = more donations... it's a cycle you want to be in.

Whether we need to pay a player or two here and there to get to final fours and win titles, that's fine with me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom