BC essentially blocked UCONN -Globe Article.. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

BC essentially blocked UCONN -Globe Article..

Really...ever? Please correct me if I'm misinformed, but didn't MSU threaten SU with litgation in regards to the block S logo trademark, hence, the reason for SU's tweak of same?
Look again... there's no tweaking. Just a simple Orange block-S.

Yes, there was discussion of concerns about potential trademark issues which may have been the reason for the transitional arched "Syracuse" lettering over the S. That lettering is gone now. Different colors, different conferences, both with long documented use of the symbol. One would already expect MSU to have done whatever they were going to do by now. For all we know there is now an understanding between the schools.

Look again... there's no tweaking. Just a simple Orange block-S.

Yes, there was discussion of concerns about potential trademark issues which may have been the reason for the transitional arched "Syracuse" lettering over the S. That lettering is gone now. Different colors, different conferences, both with long documented use of the symbol. One would already expect MSU to have done whatever they were going to do by now. For all we know there is now an understanding between the schools.

I believe that MSU lost the rights to the logo inadvertently. SU took ownership, prompting MSU to institute some legal action.

I believe the issue between the schools was resolved.

Isn't it now in ESPN's best interests to have the B12 take UL and WV and effectively kill the BE? It takes away NBC from becoming a threat. If the BE loses SU, Pitt, TCU, UL, and WV then ESPN won't even want that product. NBC can have it as no one would watch. Also with the money saved from not having to pay the BE, ESPN can use the money on the B12 as incentive to expand to 12 by taking UL and WV. Paying the B12 more money per team and not paying the BE at all is more money than paying the B12 its current value and then having to out bid NBC for the BE.

If ESPN is involved like mentioned with the ACC, I would not be surprised if they pushed the B12 to expand.

If ESPN is involved like mentioned with the ACC, I would not be surprised if they pushed the B12 to expand.

Make sense but they're going to have to promise enough renegotiation money to ensure Texas (and likely OU) that they'll get as much money with 12 as they would get today with 10.

Although I like going to the ACC with Pitt, what I don't get with the lawsuit was that Pitt was very big into that as well I believe. Pitt still gets in? I guess UConn's government was the face of that lawsuit though thus they get hit harder but Pitt was a huge supporter and signed up along with UCoon to that action

UConn was 99% responsible for that lawsuit. Remember, Va Tech was a plaintiff in the suit and was in the conference a few weeks later. By re-hashing the gambling scandal at BC in the lawsuit, UConn burned a bridge that has now come back to haunt them, which was predictable at the time. Also, although not mentioned in the Globe article, I am confident that Donna Shalala will not make it easy for UConn to get a bid to the ACC.

While I also am of the mindset that ND wants little to do with Rutgers, didn't ND also want UConn to play them at both Foxboro and the Meadowlands? Did those series ever develop?

Cheers,
Neil

Hey Neil -

Look at this:

@SECNews247SEC News 24/7
2nd hand info on this but # MIZZOU Is supposedly in feverish convos w/ # NotreDame about both joining the # B1G.B1G will take Mizzou to get ND
# NotreDame doesn't want # Rutgers or # UConn in the # B1Gbecause they want the recruiting advantage in the northeast. That's why # ND & # Mizzou

Interesting if true. My gut is ND can't publically say "we're pissed because they said no to us." But they can claim some phoney line about UCONN and Rutgers hurting them recruiting the northeast. Which is like Brad Pitt not inviting me to his party because I'm gonna steal some of his gash.

Hey Neil -

Look at this:

@SECNews247SEC News 24/7
2nd hand info on this but # MIZZOU Is supposedly in feverish convos w/ # NotreDame about both joining the # B1G.B1G will take Mizzou to get ND
# NotreDame doesn't want # Rutgers or # UConn in the # B1Gbecause they want the recruiting advantage in the northeast. That's why # ND & # Mizzou

Interesting if true. My gut is ND can't publically say "we're pissed because they said no to us." But they can claim some phoney line about UCONN and Rutgers hurting them recruiting the northeast. Which is like Brad Pitt not inviting me to his party because I'm gonna steal some of his gash.

Maybe PurpleBookCat was right after all. Mizzou is the key to getting ND. :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Neil

Hey Neil -

Look at this:

@SECNews247SEC News 24/7

----------------

If true, it's interesting. What are the chances it is true????
ND fears recruiting against RU and UConn????

ND doesn't want RU or UConn in the Big 10: meaning there will be no eastern teams in the Big 10 to play against????

If Big 10 takes ND and Missouri, then that allows ACC to take RU and UConn to cover northeast.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleg...icles/2011/10/09/power_move_by_acc/?page=full

Interesting article. As we expected Syracuse was the clear #1 choice of the ACC. If you read between the lines of the article, essentially what happened was the ACC felt it need to expand to protect itself from a raid, strengthen its east coast position, destroy the Big East, keep the big 12 from encroaching on the east coast or all of the above.

It appears this ultimately was a football move, but a move that they initially tried to appease the basketball factions...until BC got involved.

First, the ACC went to ESPN to seek their guidance on which teams to choose. It was not stated what ESPN's suggestions were. My guess is that ESPN's suggestions were Pitt and Syracuse (best brands - best combination $$ -wise), but the ACC's first choices were a compromise to keep Duke and UNC happy, which was Syracuse and UCONN. But BC had an issue with UCONN being in their geographical neighborhood.

Its clear that BC's #1 motive was to keep UCONN out of the conference, and they are conveniently hiding behind the argument that this was a FB move - and therefore Pitt and Syracuse were the obvious choices. Though Defillipo does not deny that they wanted to keep UCONN out of the conference.

So they went back a second time after BC expressed its reluctance to include UCONN and they decided to go with the strongest FB solution, which was Syracuse and Pitt.

Its funny that who they decided to choose was what I would call the "pizza decision process". You've got 15 people in the room and 14 people want sausage and achovies but one person is refuses. So you end up going with sausage and pepperoni, because its something that everyone agrees on.

It also makes sense that UCONN will be the next included if ND joins...giving in to the basketball factions as I don't think if push came to shove, BC could prevent UCONN a second time. The ACC needed to act fast this time and didn't have time to debate. Pitt and Syracuse were the only unanimous choices.

Interesting, Rutgers never entered the conversation.
One of the most important articles on the ACC expansion. The biggest thing I take from it is that it is highly unlikely UConn will be part of the ACC, at least as long as Gene DeFilippo is the AD at BC.

If you are a UConn fan, the good news is that DeFilippo is on shaky ground these days and may be fired along with Coach Spaz at the end of the season.

Would a new AD have a different position? Would SU and Pitt favor adding UConn or RU to the ACC? Would they act to block them from getting in for the same reasons BC did with UConn?

It looks really unlikely for either school to get in. I think it would require a raid on the ACC from the SEC or the Big 1o to make it happen.

UConn was 99% responsible for that lawsuit. Remember, Va Tech was a plaintiff in the suit and was in the conference a few weeks later. By re-hashing the gambling scandal at BC in the lawsuit, UConn burned a bridge that has now come back to haunt them, which was predictable at the time. Also, although not mentioned in the Globe article, I am confident that Donna Shalala will not make it easy for UConn to get a bid to the ACC.

I can't imagine SU or BC being in favor of adding Rutgers either. And I imagine the Tobacco Road schools would feel the same way as their influence in the conference wanes with each new team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom