BCS Bowl? | Syracusefan.com

BCS Bowl?

mlbball99

2nd String
I haven't read a clear explanation.

If Lousville beats Rutgers Thursday..is there any chance we can get the BCS bowl bid?

I'm hearing we could cause we have a better Strength of Schedule...

If Ville beats Rutgers, I'd have to imagine they would get the nod for the BCS. They'd be 10-2 with the most cache out of the three, largely due to Bridgewater, who is a legit Heisman contender.

Amazing turn of events, Rutgirls loosing to Pitt and Yukon beating Loueyville. Nice. We'll see what happens thursday -- but Rutgirls loss to Pitt wasn't pretty (27-6 ?). The rankings determine BCS...but I can't help but think that loosing by 3TD's is going to make Jersey State's ranking slip quite a bit. Louey was already 20, and will probably drop out of the top 25. And Jersey State was 18 and is destined to fall, what, 5 spots minimum, maybe 6 or 7.

highest ranked BCS team gets the bid. We arent even close

No, but if Louisville does beat Rutgers for the BCS Bowl bid, we go to the Russell.

Cheers,
Neil

we are actually closer than some would think. we will be ahead of rut/UL in the JS computer this week. the key is would anyone actually vote for us in the people polls.

we are actually closer than some would think. we will be ahead of rut/UL in the JS computer this week. the key is would anyone actually vote for us in the people polls.

As much as I would love to believe we have a 0% chance. Less than 0%.

I haven't read a clear explanation.

If Lousville beats Rutgers Thursday..is there any chance we can get the BCS bowl bid?

I'm hearing we could cause we have a better Strength of Schedule...

It would be either a 3-way or 4-way tie. Your first tiebreaker is head-to-head. In the 3-way we'd all be 1-1 against each other, so you go to the next tiebreaker which is BCS ranking. Both Rutgers & Louisville started today way ahead of us in the BCS rankings (#18 & #20 respectively). With the losses, they'll fall back a bit, but it's unlikely they would fall back so much that we could overtake them (although not impossible I suppose). In a 4-way tie, we'd only be 1-2 against the teams in the tiebreaker, so we're not winning that one either.

Here is what needs to happen.

1. UL drops a bunch in the computers (possible as they lost at home to UConn)
2. SU makes a big jump in the computers (possible as we had a road win) ahead of UL
3. UConn beats Cincy
4. RU drops in the polls behind SU (possible with 2 Ls to end year and a bad SOS)
5. UL doesn't jump ahead of SU in the computers after beating RU
6. The coaches pay attention and don't just vote UL or RU because they were there all year

It is possible but highly unlikely. I am fine with a share of the BE title though. IMO if Cincy and RU lose next week we will be ranked 2nd in the BE about 10 places behind UL.

It would be either a 3-way or 4-way tie. Your first tiebreaker is head-to-head. In the 3-way we'd all be 1-1 against each other, so you go to the next tiebreaker which is BCS ranking. Both Rutgers & Louisville started today way ahead of us in the BCS rankings (#18 & #20 respectively). With the losses, they'll fall back a bit, but it's unlikely they would fall back so much that we could overtake them (although not impossible I suppose). In a 4-way tie, we'd only be 1-2 against the teams in the tiebreaker, so we're not winning that one either.

All of their BCS points come from the human polls. If both fall out of the human polls (which should happen) then they tumble a lot in the BCS. My guess is that UL and RU fall to the mid 30s and SU moves to the upper 30s. Not enough but close.

Here is what needs to happen.

1. UL drops a bunch in the computers (possible as they lost at home to UConn)
2. SU makes a big jump in the computers (possible as we had a road win) ahead of UL
3. UConn beats Cincy
4. RU drops in the polls behind SU (possible with 2 Ls to end year and a bad SOS)
5. UL doesn't jump ahead of SU in the computers after beating RU
6. The coaches pay attention and don't just vote UL or RU because they were there all year

It is possible but highly unlikely. I am fine with a share of the BE title though. IMO if Cincy and RU lose next week we will be ranked 2nd in the BE about 10 places behind UL.
what ever happened to the bcs rule that a team has to be ranked at least #15 to be invited? Am I recalling incorrectly?

i agree we can get close, the only way though is if people are really paying attention. a team like Wash was ranked top 25 allowing more pts than they scored. teams like Ok/texas will stay ranked at 8-4 even playing poorly down the stretch

what ever happened to the bcs rule that a team has to be ranked at least #15 to be invited? Am I recalling incorrectly?

That's the old rule for at-large BCS teams. It doesn't matter what record the conference representative is ... for instance a 5-7 conference champ could still go to the BCS by losing their 5 non-conference games, yet winning their conference with a 5-2 record (provided they were the only 5-2 team because they would surely lose most if not all tiebreakers).

That was a rolling bench mark for the BCS conferences. If the conference couldn't consistently meet that they could lose their auto bid. Last year WV was 23rd. In 2010 UConn wasn't even Top 25.

Can the ACC lose its second BCS Bowl with a midmajor passing the BE in the polls?

Assuming FSU and Clemson winning out

All of their BCS points come from the human polls. If both fall out of the human polls (which should happen) then they tumble a lot in the BCS. My guess is that UL and RU fall to the mid 30s and SU moves to the upper 30s. Not enough but close.
As much as I'd like it, I don't see a 7-5 SU over a 10-2 or 9-3 Louisville/Rutgers. If we finish strong and head toward the top 30 after our bowl game, I'd be ecstatic. As an omen, a local regional airport just started direct service to Orlando this week and are running a $132 special until February. I think the stars are aligned.

NIU beating Kent State would likely help a lot as well. Same goes for USC beating ND.

Holy that loss to Rutgers hurts. Damn it!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom