Be Careful What You Wish For | Syracusefan.com

Be Careful What You Wish For

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
Article on Cuse's transfers. Early in the season and guys still have time to excel but almost all of them have either confirmed HCJB's opinion of not being ready (playing time) and they made a hasty, mistake in transferring to a new school. I wonder if switching from zone to mostly M2M has affected some of the slow starts? Cuse actually got lucky as a few of these kids are addition by subtraction (purely as a basketball player)

My H0T Takes

Kadry: TBD, leaning good. He is a part-time starter at SHU vs being a 6th or 7th man at SU this season. But he is playing at a trash school for a trash coach. However, he should excel at SHU.

Quincy: Bad Decision. He would likely play less this year at Cuse but he also would have been closer to family and would be scoring more. He looks lost at Oregon and his shot got worse it appears.

Woody: Bad Decision. The kid is a developmental player who traded in a great school/program for Okie St. He isn't playing much at Okie St.

Braswell: Leaning Good Decision. He moved down a tier for easier competition. Currently a 6th man who likely gets to play to his strengths. Closer to home. As a 2 star recruit he is playing above his rating. He might even have a chance to earn some money overseas.

Goodine: Bad Decision. Playing at Providence isn't doing him any favors, he is missing something (either physically or mentally) and will not be more than a bench player as his clock is ticking. He could have been a bench player for Cuse at a better school/program. He is closer to home though.

Carey: Bad Decision. This kid is an enigma after his Nov '18 MSG tourney. Transferred to a worse school and program (Rhode Island) and still is nothing more than an occasional sub. See Goodine above for more reasons.

My Bonus Hot Take (it wasn't in the article) from the 19-20 team.

Hughes (G league SLC) TBD, leaning bad. he was an older player, felt like now or never. He is actually doing pretty good in the G league. I can see a couple call ups this year to fill the bench. If he stayed he would take Swider mins. Edit: my error he left in 2020. I think another year in school could have elevated him to a late 1st round pick though and acquire more name recognition.

Update: Alan Griffin (G league Rio Grande) TBD, leaning bad I'm embarrassed. I was thinking Alan Griffin and wrote Elijah Hughes above...sorry. I think a case can be made that Griffin should've stayed an extra year more than Hughes.

Last edited:
One thing to note on Hughes - he has been on the G League shuttle, but he also is on a guaranteed $1.5M NBA contract this season, and that ain't bad.
Agreed, it is a crap shoot. Even as a 1st rounder, they have no hesitation to get rid of you after 2 seasons.

Tyler Lydon is an interesting case. He seems like he didn't have the burning desire to be an NBA player...maybe he left when his stock was highest? Maybe he plateaued? Maybe 2 more years in college would have helped him?

Hughes made a good decision. He had his degree. And he's getting paid 7 figures to play professionally. I don't think anyone would turn that down, and I don't think coming back a year what have changed anything for him, and could have potentially hurt him. The rest I agree with.

On Kadary, his stats and playing time are almost identical to last year. And he's shooting 25% from 3 and attempting .3 more 3 pointers a game. Hey, at least he has a green light to shoot on average 1 3 pointer a game now.

My his omission does that mean that Howard Washington is killing it?!
Who? ;-)

There is your answer...but sadly medically he never had a chance. He definitely would have been better off staying at Syracuse to graduation.

Agreed, it is a crap shoot. Even as a 1st rounder, they have no hesitation to get rid of you after 2 seasons.

Tyler Lydon is an interesting case. He seems like he didn't have the burning desire to be an NBA player...maybe he left when his stock was highest? Maybe he plateaued? Maybe 2 more years in college would have helped him?
He also got injured

Quincy would not have played less here. The transfers brought in were to replace him.
Who plays if Quincy stays? I'm guessing that Junior would be on the outside of the starting five if Q was still here.

Hughes made a good decision. He had his degree. And he's getting paid 7 figures to play professionally. I don't think anyone would turn that down, and I don't think coming back a year what have changed anything for him, and could have potentially hurt him. The rest I agree with.
Yeah...probably my hottest take of the bunch. I'm assuming no injuries though. I'd figure we could have had a deep NCAA run and he would get some positive press and accolades.

In before lockdown.
You gotta be quick around here these days to beat the inevitable locked thread... not really sure why so many are getting so quickly locked down though...

I find this topic (transfers and how they perform at their new locations) to be pretty interesting - and not just with respect to former SU players. With the explosion of recent transfers all over D1, I think it's pretty interesting to see how everybody performs in their new location.

I think Jimmy definitely comes, because he couldn't play anymore at Cornell. I think Swider still comes because we needed another forward who could shoot (supposedly...)
Wow you bail on cole just like that. Shameful

Totally disagree on Elijah Hughes.

Is someone suggesting he should have stayed for a fifth year in college (1 @ ECU, transfer year and 3 @ SU) and then a sixth year as a COVID Senior? He would be the best player on this year's team. As an SU fan I could wish for that, but I think EH is happy w/ the paycheck and will find a home in the NBA for a couple of years.

What about Alan Griffin?

I'm not sure what Hughes has to do with this. He hasn't been here in 2 years.
Right was just about to say the same thing. Alan Griffin was Eli’s replacement last year. But Hughes has been gone since the 2019-20 season.

Right was just about to say the same thing. Alan Griffin was Eli’s replacement last year. But Hughes has been gone since the 2019-20 season.
Elijah was my extra hot take...I still wonder if an extra year would have helped him.

Article on Cuse's transfers. Early in the season and guys still have time to excel but almost all of them have either confirmed HCJB's opinion of not being ready (playing time) and they made a hasty, mistake in transferring to a new school. I wonder if switching from zone to mostly M2M has affected some of the slow starts? Cuse actually got lucky as a few of these kids are addition by subtraction (purely as a basketball player)

My H0T Takes

Hughes (G league SLC) TBD, leaning bad. he was an older player, felt like now or never. He is actually doing pretty good in the G league. I can see a couple call ups this year to fill the bench. If he stayed he would take Swider mins. I think another year in school could have elevated him to a late 1st round pick though and acquire more name recognition.

Kadry: TBD, leaning good. He is a part-time starter at SHU vs being a 6th or 7th man at SU this season. But he is playing at a trash school for a trash coach. However, he should excel at SHU.

Quincy: Bad Decision. He would likely play less this year at Cuse but he also would have been closer to family and would be scoring more. He looks lost at Oregon and his shot got worse it appears.

Woody: Bad Decision. The kid is a developmental player who traded in a great school/program for Okie St. He isn't playing much at Okie St.

Braswell: Leaning Good Decision. He moved down a tier for easier competition. Currently a 6th man who likely gets to play to his strengths. Closer to home. As a 2 star recruit he is playing above his rating. He might even have a chance to earn some money overseas.

Goodine: Bad Decision. Playing at Providence isn't doing him any favors, he is missing something (either physically or mentally) and will not be more than a bench player as his clock is ticking. He could have been a bench player for Cuse at a better school/program. He is closer to home though.

Carey: Bad Decision. This kid is an enigma after his Nov '18 MSG tourney. Transferred to a worse school and program (Rhode Island) and still is nothing more than an occasional sub. See Goodine above for more reasons.

Charlotte's last game was against Davidson, they lost by 20. Braswell only played 12 minutes. I haven't watched Charlotte play at all and have no idea what is going on there, or why he isn't starting on a horrible mid-major, but last year's Braswell easily plays double that amount for this Syracuse team. We really need his defense, and of all the guys who left Braswell would play the most and be the biggest (only?) difference maker on this year's team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom