Because... why not? | Syracusefan.com

Because... why not?

Not much makes me sadder than the fact that I had a ticket to the Final Four in my hand, a friend who went to school in New Orleans I could have stayed with (in a sorority, no less!) but no way to get there, so I had to sell my ticket to the kid who sat next to me in Albany.

On the other hand, I can't imagine anything too much better than 1) drunkenly chanting "Let's Go Orange!" on the front steps of my apartment on Euclid after we beat Texas for 30 minutes straight, followed by 2) celebrating on M-Street after the titl game. Lots of alcohol was had at the Sheraton that night.

I'll be honest, I love that we had our "one shining moment," but what I'm about to say might get me the "first banned poster" award. I think that song sucks. It's an awful piano bar piece of garbage. I don't care if it's tradition or not. Never gave me goosebumps or a chill moment at any point when I watched it through all those years of watching the tourney.. Except for when SU won, and that chill moment was due to SU winning not the suckitude of that awful mid '80s cheese ballad. It sounds like something I'd hear as the winning song at Harborfest in Oswego. Something like this (and frankly I think this song is better):

End rant.

I'll be honest, I love that we had our "one shining moment," but what I'm about to say might get me the "first banned poster" award. I think that song sucks. It's an awful piano bar piece of garbage. I don't care if it's tradition or not. Never gave me goosebumps or a chill moment at any point when I watched it through all those years of watching the tourney.. Except for when SU won, and that chill moment was due to SU winning not the suckitude of that awful mid '80s cheese ballad. It sounds like something I'd hear as the winning song at Harborfest in Oswego. Something like this (and frankly I think this song is better):

End rant.

That is heresy and ban-worthy

I was there in 2003...best weekend of my life...I cried when we won.

And I love one shining moment...love it.

I was there in 2003...best weekend of my life...I cried when we won.

And I love one shining moment...love it.
The Luther Vandrose version kinda sucks. The original was terrific.

Not much makes me sadder than the fact that I had a ticket to the Final Four in my hand, a friend who went to school in New Orleans I could have stayed with (in a sorority, no less!) but no way to get there, so I had to sell my ticket to the kid who sat next to me in Albany.
I'm still kicking myself that I didn't even try to get tickets for the regionals in Albany when they first went on sale.
I live in the Albany area too.
Just never thought that if SU made the tourney they would get put in the Albany region.
Won't ever make that mistake again.

Where did this bump come from, I was confused when I saw my username on the frontpage.

It seems like yesterday that we won in some aspects, in others I see the old uniforms, the awful clothing in the stands, Carmelo who looks like a baby instead of a NBA veteran future HOFer.

I never really felt like I was getting older until a few years ago, but it's stuff like this that is really eye opening on how short life really is.

I don't know how a thread like this from 2011 gets resurrected, but even though it's a cheesy song, I'm always happy to see that particular edition of OSM.

A couple of personal perspective points to add:

I cried when we got our "one before the grave" in 2003. I also cried when I got to see my favorite band ever (The Who) live and up close at a soundcheck due to some VIP tickets. My wife often points out that I did not cry at our wedding.

A certain Saint Joyce said she could get me a ticket to the game in New Orleans in '03, but I somehow convinced myself that I was unable to go. Looking back on it now, I am stupefied that I ever could have made that decision. I was in a totally different place in life then--striving to make partner, facing the pressure of a big work event coming up, and all sorts of other excuses. But come on. Holy regrets, Batman.

Most of all: Here's to you all over again, CTO, for your incredible generosity campaign to so many of us. You got a townie boy who usually sat in the Bob Uecker seats to the Spike Lee position in 2006. You sent me a rosary blessed by the Pope when my wife was in the hospital with a serious heart illness. You've changed the lives of many others. You're a true immortal in this big, sprawling, and frequently crazy community. Thank you, on behalf of all of us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom