BeeJay Anya's wingspan vs Hakim Warrick vs Sean Williams | Syracusefan.com

BeeJay Anya's wingspan vs Hakim Warrick vs Sean Williams

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
According to this article that OE posted above, his wingspan is 7' 9".
http://thehoopdoctors.com/online2/2012/04/beejay-anya-has-the-largest-wingspan-in-hoops-history/
According to this article, Hakim Warrick's wingspan was 7'2". That's just crazy to think of when Anya is 6'8 and Hak is 6'9. I used to love how Hakim could stand under the basket flatflooted and hold onto the net.

http://valleyofthesuns.com/2010/07/03/hakim-warrick-a-breakdown-of-the-newest-phoenix-sun/

Now, according to this, Sean "Cat Catcher" Williams also had a wingspan of 7'9" while standing 6'11"

So, I'm not sure what this means, but I would think Anya would look pretty good in the 2-3 zone wearing Orange.

When I watched him play on TV this year I thought he was a decent player but too short to be a high major recruit. Though the highlight clips look good, in the game setting I personally couldn't see him being an ACC level kid.

When I watched him play on TV this year I thought he was a decent player but really too short to be a high major recruit. I personally can't see him being an ACC level kid.

I don't agree with that--I saw him twice on TV, and he looked good both times. His conditioning needs to improve--not sure that he's the best fit for a 5 in the Syracuse system, but no question he's high major.

He is a freak and height isn't my concern with him my biggest problem is he is a little soft at this point and if he ever hits that switch he could become unreal

I don't agree with that--I saw him twice on TV, and he looked good both times. His conditioning needs to improve--not sure that he's the best fit for a 5 in the Syracuse system, but no question he's high major.

I thought he was too short to be a 5 at Syracuse. By high major I'm talking Syracuse, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, LVille, Uconn etc. I could see him at VTech, Clemson, MD, etc.

I thought he was too short to be a 5 at Syracuse. By high major I'm talking Syracuse, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, LVille, Uconn etc. I could see him at VTech, Clemson, MD, etc.

Phat, definitely not trying to be argumentative here, but the guy plays on one of the top high school programs in the country. He's universally regarded as a 5 star recruit, and considered the #1 center in the class of 2013. I get that stars / ratings can change--not saying that he's going to stay the #1 rated center in the class, for example--but by just about any measure he's a high major prospect.

Re: height--tough to gauge, but I do think he is probably in the 6-7 range. He seemed a hair shorter than Jerami Grant, his high school teammate--so it all comes down to how tall you think Grant is. His lateral mobility is questionable [I have the same concern about DC2, by the way]. But Anya can really finish inside, is a strong rebounder, and good shotblocker. And he reportedly has dropped something like 60 pounds in the last year, and is working hard to get in shape. Sounds like the kid has a decent work ethic.

Anya will most definitely be a high-major recruit. The SU staff has spent a lot of time evaluating him, so at this point they should know if he fits their system or not. I don't see him playing out on wing, and it would be waste to have somebody with a 7'9 wingspan and not let him hold it down in the middle.

Phat, definitely not trying to be argumentative here, but the guy plays on one of the top high school programs in the country. He's universally regarded as a 5 star recruit, and considered the #1 center in the class of 2013. I get that stars / ratings can change--not saying that he's going to stay the #1 rated center in the class, for example--but by just about any measure he's a high major prospect.

Re: height--tough to gauge, but I do think he is probably in the 6-7 range. He seemed a hair shorter than Jerami Grant, his high school teammate--so it all comes down to how tall you think Grant is. His lateral mobility is questionable [I have the same concern about DC2, by the way]. But Anya can really finish inside, is a strong rebounder, and good shotblocker. And he reportedly has dropped something like 60 pounds in the last year, and is working hard to get in shape. Sounds like the kid has a decent work ethic.
I am almost positive Grant is 6'7 he is sneaky big in person. I think BJ is 6'8 6'9 in all honesty

Anya will most definitely be a high-major recruit. The SU staff has spent a lot of time evaluating him, so at this point they should know if he fits their system or not. I don't see him playing out in on wing, and it would be waste to have somebody with a 7'9 wingspan and not let him hold it down in the middle.
Thanks Francis. Also, I read a nice article on Jabari Parker yesterday. Any reason why Cuse isn't or wasn't involved in his recruiting. Seems like he is still somewhat wide open.

I am almost positive Grant is 6'7 he is sneaky big in person. I think BJ is 6'8 6'9 in all honesty

OK, so an Onuaku with longer arms. So it's settled. He could probably play the 5 here. Undersized centers can play anywhere in college it seems. I think we recruited Samardo Samuels and he turned out to be good and gave us some problems when we played Louisville. He was 6'9 at best I thought. Anya reminds me a little of him.

Thanks Francis. Also, I read a nice article on Jabari Parker yesterday. Any reason why Cuse isn't or wasn't involved in his recruiting. Seems like he is still somewhat wide open. Plus it seems like a lot of 2013 kids are from Texas and the Southeast. Who are our top prospects?

Parker is an unbelievable talent but unfortunately he's from Chicago (Simeon and Mac Irvin Fire). Shady h.s. coaches, shady AAU coaches and handlers will guide Parker to the school he ends up signing with (see Davis, Anthony). His family says they want him to stay close to home so I would expect him to attend school in KY...:noidea: Lexington is only about a 6 hour drive.

Also, Autry has been actively recruiting Anya for quite awhile now so he clearly thinks he would do just fine in the middle of the zone. My money is on Indiana - just a hunch.

OK, so an Onuaku with longer arms. So it's settled. He could probably play the 5 here. Undersized centers can play anywhere in college it seems. I think we recruited Samardo Samuels and he turned out to be good and gave us some problems when we played Louisville. He was 6'9 at best I thought. Anya reminds me a little of him.
I really hated that guy over the years lol nice comparison

BeeJay is shorter than Grant. He's probably about 6-6. Maybe he's Anthony Glover with longer arms.

2012-wcac-645x362.jpg

Thanks Francis. Also, I read a nice article on Jabari Parker yesterday. Any reason why Cuse isn't or wasn't involved in his recruiting. Seems like he is still somewhat wide open.
It's hard to get Chicago kids when you don't have the proper connections with the H.S./AAU coaches out there. Murphy was trying to tap into there before he left but in reality most high-profile Chicago recruitments make the Noel saga look amateur in comparison. I've heard good things about Parker and his people but I would think SU would've been a long shot to land him even if they tried.

I've seen him chubby and I've seen him pretty fit. He was kind of fat last last summer. Then he really worked out last fall (I think his sister helped him with a conditioning program and diet), and really improved his fitness at the beginning of this past season, but then he seemed to put about 10 pounds back on by March. I think he's going to battle it throughout his college years.

I've seen him chubby and I've seen him pretty fit. He was kind of fat last last summer. Then he really worked out last fall (I think his sister helped him with a conditioning program and diet), and really improved his fitness at the beginning of this past season, but then he seemed to put about 10 pounds back on by March. I think he's going to battle it throughout his college years.
Based on what we have seen recently with Fab and Ricky shedding weight, you have to be happy with the weight management programs going on at the Cuse.

It's hard to get Chicago kids when you don't have the proper connections with the H.S./AAU coaches out there. Murphy was trying to tap into there before he left but in reality most high-profile Chicago recruitments make the Noel saga look amateur in comparison. I've heard good things about Parker and his people but I would think SU would've been a long shot to land him even if they tried.
I know you have a big list of 2013 prospects posted on your blog, but it seems like when you look at the top kids, a lot of them are from areas that we have not traditionally done well (Texas, Southeast, Chicago). I know Cuse is a national program, but I always feel better when I see a lot of kids from NJ, MD/DC and Philly.

BeeJay is shorter than Grant. He's probably about 6-6. Maybe he's Anthony Glover with longer arms.

2012-wcac-645x362.jpg
Blair was about that tall. Anya has good width. If he can rebound like Blair I want him.

I know you have a big list of 2013 prospects posted on your blog, but it seems like when you look at the top kids, a lot of them are from areas that we have not traditionally done well (Texas, Southeast, Chicago). I know Cuse is a national program, but I always feel better when I see a lot of kids from NJ, MD/DC and Philly.
Lots of talent coming out of Philly and the DMV over the next few years. The most interesting state to me is North Carolina. Good talent is going to come out of there as well and with the move to the ACC, it'll be curious to see if the staff can pull some kids away from the Carolina schools.

That video of Sean Williams was made in Fall 2011. Where was he playing/what is he doing?

Living in Chicago and hearing all of the "drama" surrounding h.s. players makes me actually HOPE that the staff doesnt recruit here often (remember that Cuse was Anthony Davis's first high major offer since he didnt playint a great h.s. conference and wasnt well known). When DePaul was searching for a coach after they fired Wainwright, the most influential AAU coaches here in Chicago felt "slighted" that the AD didnt consult them when they conducted their search for a new HC. On top of that, these same AAU coaches did not like the hiring decisions (assistants) that Bruce Weber made because his guys werent "Chicago." Look at the talent drop-off from Bill Self to Bruce Webber and the fall-out is obvious. Heck, the Chicago Tribune ran a story not long ago about how Oliver Purnell scheduled a dinner meeting with a few Chicago AAU coaches with the intention of ironing out the "perception" problems. The "perception" is that DePual doesnt care about Chicago AAU because they dont give those coaches an opportunity to interview for assistant jobs. I liken Chicago AAU to the mafia. It's disgusting. UK plays the game. UL plays the game. MSU plays the game. Marq benefits from the good-but-not-program-difference-makers signing with their program. I would expect Marq to have a difficult time with Chi if the Ilini and DePaul can fix their relationships with the AAU coaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom