Before we crown Coach K the greatest of all time | Syracusefan.com

Before we crown Coach K the greatest of all time

gilardino

Starter
Lets say Duke wins their 6th title.

Take a look at three of the titles.

92: Christian L hits a turn around jumper vs UK, if he misses that shot, no final 4
10: Butler shot goes in and out in title game
19: UCF shot goes in and out, no sweet 16

So people say Coach K is great because of titles, it's a game of inches, if Keith Smart misses, we have two titles

Thats all sports.

FWIW the Laettner shot was pure coaching, from the timeout to the execution and those kids showing absolutely no panic and taking advantage of Kentucky's defensive set.

To sadly compare, Keith Smart's shot went through at the 5 second point and we did squat.

Thats all sports.

FWIW the Laettner shot was pure coaching, from the timeout to the execution and those kids showing absolutely no panic and taking advantage of Kentucky's defensive set.

To sadly compare, Keith Smart's shot went through at the 5 second point and we did squat.

All fair points.

Though Laettner should’ve been ejected.

I think most will still consider Wooden the greatest but K has an argument and is the clear number 2.

There are so many what ifs in these games. What if Cipola misses the fall away shot against Georgia? One less FF for us. What if Hakim had cheated one more step toward the lane? Maybe he doesn't get out to make the block, the game goes to OT and Kansas rides momentum to a NC. I'm not gonna use what ifs to take championships away from K.

Pound for pound I would take Jay Wright over coach K. Give them the same talent and it isn't close.

I personally look at Wooden similar to Red Auerbach. Clearly an incredible legend, but there was just so little parity in the 1960s.
That is a strong argument against Wooden and probably the best one for K. K has done it during a time of increasing parity and maintained success during evolving eras. He won during a time when most players stayed and developed, then as guys started to leave early more frequently he did it during the Jay Williams and Elton Brand period, and now during the one-and-done era.

What about his 12 Final Fours and 15 conference championships? How many of those are we discounting?

When it comes to the greatest of all time I'll take the guy with ten national championships in twelve years.

Is Jay Wright forbidden from getting that talent?
The question becomes whether we are separating coaching from recruiting. I'm not trying to split hairs, just not sure if the original poster is factoring in recruiting into coaching.

The question becomes whether we are separating coaching from recruiting. I'm not trying to split hairs, just not sure if the original poster is factoring in recruiting into coaching.

Recruiting is part of coaching. If you can't build a brand and attract high school kids to come play for you (in an honest way), you're not a good coach.

Thats all sports.

With respect to your last point, did the clock stop automatically on made shots at the end of games back then? I've only seen clips of the end but I thought the clock kept running.

With respect to your last point, did the clock stop automatically on made shots at the end of games back then? I've only seen clips of the end but I thought the clock kept running.

Ran and Packer was screaming for a TO.

What about his 12 Final Fours and 15 conference championships? How many of those are we discounting?
I get it, my point is they dodged bullets three times

Lets say Duke wins their 6th title.

Take a look at three of the titles.

92: Christian L hits a turn around jumper vs UK, if he misses that shot, no final 4
10: Butler shot goes in and out in title game
19: UCF shot goes in and out, no sweet 16

So people say Coach K is great because of titles, it's a game of inches, if Keith Smart misses, we have two titles
In that universe, If Gtown misses we have 3...

I personally look at Wooden similar to Red Auerbach. Clearly an incredible legend, but there was just so little parity in the 1960s.

There were a lot more goings on back then which today are categorized as recruiting violations.

JB can go head to head with all of them as a coach but not as a recruiter.

Was listening to Fraschilla on with Jason Horowitz, during Westwood one's coverage, and he said K wasn't the best X's and O's guy, but he is a master motivator and knows what buttons to push. Above all, he challenges his players to seize the moment, think he was quoted as saying to Zion, before his committed his non called offensive foul, that this is why you came to Duke, this is the game you live for, be our leader. Passion is contagious and in that type of environment where momentum is key, K really shines. Doesn't hurt to be in the Zebra's pocket either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom