Being Competitive in Losses | Syracusefan.com

Being Competitive in Losses

HRE Otto IV

All American
Blind resume of our last 4 HCs. When the game was lost or got out of hand.

% of Ls in OT
Coach B 8.0%
Coach D 4.3%
Coach A 3.8%
Coach C 2.8%

% of Ls made it to the 4th Q with a chance
Coach B 60.0%
Coach D 47.8%
Coach C 44.4%
Coach A 43.4%

% of Ls made it to the 2nd half with a chance
Coach B 92.0%
Coach C 75.0%
Coach D 65.2%
Coach A 62.3%

% of Ls it was over in the 1st Q
Coach D 8.7%
Coach A 5.7%
Coach C 2.8%
Coach B 0.0%

I'll play: A. Robinson B. Marrone C. Shafer D. Babers

But that's just in order...

Blind resume of our last 4 HCs. When the game was lost or got out of hand.

% of Ls in OT
Coach B 8.0%
Coach D 4.3%
Coach A 3.8%
Coach C 2.8%

% of Ls made it to the 4th Q with a chance
Coach B 60.0%
Coach D 47.8%
Coach C 44.4%
Coach A 43.4%

% of Ls made it to the 2nd half with a chance
Coach B 92.0%
Coach C 75.0%
Coach D 65.2%
Coach A 62.3%

% of Ls it was over in the 1st Q
Coach D 8.7%
Coach A 5.7%
Coach C 2.8%
Coach B 0.0%
I think it’s obvious Marrone was by far the best HC we have had. Considering what he did with what he took over and the HS facilities it’s a miracle we made 2 bowls in 4 years and another year was decimated by injuries or it would have been 3 of 4. Watching what we did to that Geno Smith WVU team multiple times was so much fun.

I think it’s obvious Marrone was by far the best HC we have had. Considering what he did with what he took over and the HS facilities it’s a miracle we made 2 bowls in 4 years and another year was decimated by injuries or it would have been 3 of 4. Watching what we did to that Geno Smith WVU team multiple times was so much fun.
Geno Smith has nightmares of a Scott Shafer defense. I know you don't wanna hear it but that's what won those games.

I'll play: A. Robinson B. Marrone C. Shafer D. Babers

But that's just in order...
It’s close enough that Robinson/Babers and Marrone/Shafer might be flipped but good guesses I think

Coach A is Dino.
Coach B is Marrone.
Coach C is GRob.
Coach D is Shafer.

GRob had a lot more Ls per year but it was interesting that he was the 2nd least likely to fall behind by 3 scores in the 1st half.

Marrone shows that with good game planning you can get into the 4th Q, even with less talent. And it is not a surprise that Mr Unprepared and Poor Planning is so bad.

Overall winning % should take precedent. Just looking at Ls Dino is the most likely to fall behind by 3 or more scores before the 4th Q. In the first half, 37.7% of the time we are down by 3 or more scores in his Ls. That is over 1 in 3 Ls that you can shut the game off at halftime. When he losses it typically is ugly. A no show, uncompetitive game. If his W% was good you can forgive this fact. But when it is 50-50 whether to keep him or not, the above should be the final nail.

So there is not a really significant difference in the performance of Gerg, Shafer, and Dino.
There are marginal differences but all three have had similarly bad tenures. Depressing.

There was a time when I would have been shocked to see this.

So there is not a really significant difference in the performance of Gerg, Shafer, and Dino.
There are marginal differences but all three have had similarly bad tenures. Depressing.

There was a time when I would have been shocked to see this.

This is just in Ls. Not taking Ws into account. So when those three lose it is equally not close. The problem with GRob and Shafer was that they also never won. Dino is at least winning some games.

GRob stunk but he did have hard schedules. He was also left with no talent. He had three years with zero FCSs while one year we had 2 FCSs in the same year under Marrone. Given the schedules and the talent left behind, was GRob better than Shafer?

2005: Notre Dame, FSU, UVA, UB, no FCS
2006: Wake, Iowa, Illinois, Miami OH, Wyoming, no FCS
2007: Washington, Iowa, Illinois, Miami OH, UB, no FCS
2008: Northwestern, Akron, Penn State, Northeastern, Notre Dame

So he had 3 P5 OOCs per year, making 10 games yearly. He only had six G5s or 1.5 per year. He had only one FCS total.