Belien has faced JB 9 times, so he knows how to attack the zone. | Syracusefan.com

Belien has faced JB 9 times, so he knows how to attack the zone.

Orangemen

All Conference
That's a thought put forward by Gottlieb last night on Lead Off. And since Gottlieb said it, I'm sure some lesser college bball analysts will soon be parroting it as well.

I wonder who will be the first person (outside of this board) to go next level and look at the results of those 9 games. Feels like a valid data point.

For the record, Gottlieb did pick us to win. He's always been an SU guy though. ;)

Belien plays a ton of 1-3-1 zone defense as well, I don't think there will be any surprises in this game. He is a great coach as well. Should be very interesting, team that shoots best wins. Going to be a battle, we will need to shoot better from outside to win for sure

Every team in the Final Four is playing their best ball of the year right now. All 3 games are gonna be tough. Really looking forward to this weekend.

0-9 and its been several years since he has been at WVU. It's not easy to replicate the SU zone in practice. I have heard they are trying to use paddles and broomsticks and whatever. Not easy to get used to. With that said, I think the most important part of the game is our offense. Michigan is not a great defensive team. We need to get to the hoop (McGary is not a great defender) and JS needs to knock down the wide open 3. He will have the opportunity.

MGOBlog forum was parroting this yesterday. When someone finally brought up the fact that Belien is 0-9 versus SU, they modified their argument that he has never had this good of talent before.

Is that correct? I started to look up results the other day but didn't get the through it.
Yes, it is correct. SWC posted in another thread each game. He was close last time in 2010.

It's a little worrisome in that it goes against our revenge tour angle. But it does help the zone baffles them theme.

not to be debbie downer but that record includes some god awful wvu teams from beleins predecessor.it really has no bearing on Saturday.

I know Belein is 0-9. How many of those losses were against WVU. I know we beat Michigan once since he has been there. Are all the other 8 against WVU?

I HATE THE FACT HE IS 0-9.

Personally, I would feel more comfortable if he was 9-0

I know Belein is 0-9. How many of those losses were against WVU. I know we beat Michigan once since he has been there. Are all the other 8 against WVU?
6 from wvu.

I think it's 6-0 against WVU, meaning the other two were against Canisius.

All coaches know how to attack the zone its no secret. The problem is getting the players to do it consistently and actually having the players who can do it. Some coaches are better than others but they all know what to do in theory just like they do against m2m. The familiarity of the players makes a bigger difference IMO>

That game in Atlantic City was awful. Both teams struggled.

I HATE THE FACT HE IS 0-9.

Personally, I would feel more comfortable if he was 9-0
Not me. Some coaches know how to play against other coaches. Especially when the other coach runs a distinct system. Both JB's run a distinct system in this case. It doesn't guarantee anything Saturday night, but it gives our JB a leg up on their's.

How would you feel if you were facing Jamie Dixon on Saturday? Yeah, JB can beat Dixon, but all things being equal, Dixon has a better chance against SU than the talent on his team should allow because he understands JB's system so well.

Both of these teams are playing at a high level right now. I want every advantage I can get. our JB owning their JB is an advantage. I'm glad we have it.

That game in Atlantic City was awful. Both teams struggled.

I was at that game and it certainly didn't give me high expectations of that years squad. I did however have a great time gambling and then drinking with my brother Fri through to Sun morning.

I don't really think it matters too much what his record was. He's got much better players now than he ever did, really.

I'd prefer himt o be 0-9 than 9-0, of course, but I don't think it will count for a whole lot.

If our D plays like it has and we get good guard play, it's over ... 9-0, 0-9 - whatever.

More than half their attempts were from 3, shot 8-32. Hardaway 1-8. Guess that was one of his "off" days.

I don't really think it matters too much what his record was. He's got much better players now than he ever did, really.

I'd prefer himt o be 0-9 than 9-0, of course, but I don't think it will count for a whole lot.

I agree. I'd also add that Belien's nine unsuccessful tries don't give him any advantage because we now have entirely different players too. It's akin to saying JB has seen someones M2M before years ago.

It has been a little interesting in that it appears some teams have frozen up seeing this thing.