Belien has faced JB 9 times, so he knows how to attack the zone. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Belien has faced JB 9 times, so he knows how to attack the zone.

I agree. I'd also add that Belien's nine unsuccessful tries don't give him any advantage because we now have entirely different players too. It's akin to saying JB has seen someones M2M before years ago.

It has been a little interesting in that it appears some teams have frozen up seeing this thing.

This is a very interesting point especially when you consider how much the zone has changed over the last 4-5 seasons. We really play things much differently than we used to and also JB adjusts to the players strengths each season.

All coaches except Tom Crean know how to attack the zone. It's no secret. The problem is getting the players to do it consistently and actually having the players who can do it. Some coaches are better than others but they all know what to do in theory just like they do against m2m. The familiarity of the players makes a bigger difference IMO

Fixed it for you.

I think it's 6-0 against WVU, meaning the other two were against Canisius.

Richmond. :rolleyes:

Interestingly, one of the games was freshman Hakim Warrick's coming out party in the 2002 NIT.

I know how to attack Augusta national. Doesn't mean it won't bring me to my knees.
Yes, but have you tried to play Amen corner with a paddle?

That's a thought put forward by Gottlieb last night on Lead Off. And since Gottlieb said it, I'm sure some lesser college bball analysts will soon be parroting it as well.

I wonder who will be the first person (outside of this board) to go next level and look at the results of those 9 games. Feels like a valid data point.

For the record, Gottlieb did pick us to win. He's always been an SU guy though. ;)

I dont understand the widely held notion that some coaches "know how to attack the zone" and some dont, like its some kind of proprietary knowledge that only a few coaches have in their possession. It seems to me that what is far more important is whether the players are comfortable playing against the zone and executing the concepts that are effective against the zone, and that of course comes with experience. Obviously good coaching helps in that regard, it just does not make sense to me that some coaches have the secret formula and others do not.