Benny Williams to return | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams to return

There’s no way he won’t improve simply bc he doesn’t have the stress of the relationship that him and JB had. Red is going to let him play the way he’s always wanted and the way that suits him
Not trying to bash JB but it's suprising that he wouldn't let Benny play to his strengths? He had a reputation for letting guys have the freedom to do their thing for so long. It seemed at least toward the end that that was only the case with ball dominant guards. Was JB just trying way too hard to stuff square pegs into round holes at the end?

Last edited:
Hope Benny can be more than just a jump shooter. For a 6’9” kid, he sure plays below the rim and out of the paint far too often. Hopefully with more athletic guards and overall better offensive spacing, perhaps he can be more of a slasher too. He’s not super athletic but should be far more impactful around the rim than he has been.
Williams is very athletic. Watch the highlight video put out yesterday to see what he can do.

One problem has been his handle. He hasn't done any of those amazing dribble through everybody and dunk on someone drives that make you say wow. He was far more likely to turn it over on dribble penetration. If he could tighten his handle, it wouldn't surprise me if we did start seeing that type of play from him.

The other problem has been his decision making. I attribute this largely to JB, but we'll see. Williams has seemed like a far from instinctive player most of his career... Somebody suggested JB might have been forcing square legs into round holes, and Williams is a perfect example of that. Any time Williams made a mistake, he'd hang his head and head to the bench for his whooping. Playing free should help him a lot.

I think the coaching change will help Williams more than any other player. And I'm ignoring any scheme changes when making that estimation. If Red puts in a scheme that is less focused on isolation and has more movement, Williams should be helped even more.

Last edited:
seems benny lacks confidence. or alpha drive. needs to get more assertive.
he's got the skills. needs to step up his aggression level. punish the enemy.

Benny has stuck with it and shown progress along the way. I'm cautiously optimistic he breaks out.
I'm a big believer in Benny. I think Red's style of coaching him will let him play more freely. You could tell that he was thinking about every move he made the last two years. He was terrified to make a mistake. He can make open threes, but I really hope he learns how to attack the basket. He really hasn't taken advantage of his explosive athleticism here. He should be catching lobs and passes going to the basket at least 5 times per game. Judah and JJ driving and dishing to Benny, Maliq and Naheem for easy dunks...that's my dream.

I'm a big believer in Benny. I think Red's style of coaching him will let him play more freely. You could tell that he was thinking about every move he made the last two years. He was terrified to make a mistake. He can make open threes, but I really hope he learns how to attack the basket. He really hasn't taken advantage of his explosive athleticism here. He should be catching lobs and passes going to the basket at least 5 times per game. Judah and JJ driving and dishing to Benny, Maliq and Naheem for easy dunks...that's my dream.
We've been missing points from easy baskets like dunks off drives and dishes and fast breaks for way too long. I'm excited to see that return.

Developing some sort of handle would benefit Benny greatly.
Honestly, I don't think he is going to develop that. He needs to be a one or two bounce and take off kind of player. Any more than that and he is going to get called for an offensive foul. He lacks creativity off the bounce. He is a good passer from a standstill, but as soon as he starts dribbling, it is all or nothing, and defenses are too good to allow a straight line drive from the three point line.

Developing some sort of handle would benefit Benny greatly.
It would with regards to his pro prospects, but we don't necessarily need that for him to help us. Not everyone needs to be able to create for themselves. If our guards are slashing and creating and Benny knows how to move without the ball, goes hard after missed shots, and finishes strong off of rebounds and dishes, he'll help us a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom