Bernie needs to go on the offensive | Syracusefan.com

Bernie needs to go on the offensive

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
He should come out with a clear statement that these allegations are lies. He also needs to announce that he has hired counsel to sue the accusers, Mark Schwartz individually, and ESPN and ABC for libel and slander. There is no corroboration of the accusers story, which has already been debunked by Bond Schoneck and King. Someone else saying it happened to them doesn't corroborate the other's story.

Things that I wonder is if Bernie's wife was at the 1987 Final Four. That would likely debunk the whole story.
Also, pedophiles don't usually continue the relationship past a young age, so that seems odd to me.
On the other hand, did Bernie ever sue the guy for the $5k. If not, why?

I would also like to see Bernie announce that he is stepping down. He can use this as a forum to denounce the system where we blast unproven allegations all over the media and label people without evidence. Then state that because of ESPN he can never effectively work in his position again as it requires recruiting young men and their families and that despite the fact that he is innocent and will be proven so, he is stepping down for the good of SU.

Things that I wonder is if Bernie's wife was at the 1987 Final Four. That would likely debunk the whole story.

The guy's mom has really already done that. She has stated he never went anywhere that required an airplane ride. Yet the guy claims not only did he go to the 87 final four but to Maui.

I think that the worse thing Bernie could do was take the offensive ... sorry I'm not a lawyer and will probably get shot down here ... but many times the last act that they want is for the individual they are defending to take the stand. Any statement from Bernie would just fuel the fire and perpetuate this media circus.

Is there a link for this dudes mother debunking his story? I can't find that info anywhere but this forum.

The guy's mom has really already done that. She has stated he never went anywhere that required an airplane ride. Yet the guy claims not only did he go to the 87 final four but to Maui.
Where did his Mom say that? Link? That is huge if she said that. Basically discredits the whole story

I don't agree that Fine should go on the offensive. The most he should say is this: "I would like to make a statement about this, I really would. But Syracuse University has asked me not to comment and I will respect that request because I want to ensure that nothing I might say will unintentionally impede the full investigation that the University and police officials are conducting."

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index.ssf/2011/11/post_76.html

"She said when Davis was young, he 'was with Bernie Fine quite a bit.' She said he traveled with the team extensively, though she said he did not go on trips when an airplane flight was required because he didn't like to fly. The 1987 Final Four, where Davis said he went with Fine, was in New Orleans."

It should be easy enough to confirm whether or not the ballboy was at the 1987 Final Four and the tournament in Hawaii just by looking through the film archives at ESPN.

I read that a few times on here last night, but never saw a link to the mother's comments.

And I've also seen it written that the kid accompanied the team to Maui, so not sure what to believe.

The mother's statement about Davis not going on plane trips contradicts the following excerpt from a story on syracuse.com.

"The newspaper (Post-Standard) determined that Davis, who grew up within blocks of Fine’s former home in Syracuse, accompanied the Syracuse University basketball team on road trips, including to Hawaii, where Davis said he stayed in Fine’s room."

The above passage refers to the newspaper's investigation in 2003.

Full story

Looks like the original quote is from the ESPN story:

She said when Davis was young, he "was with Bernie Fine quite a bit." She said he traveled with the team extensively, though she said he did not go on trips when an airplane flight was required because he didn't like to fly. The 1987 Final Four, where Davis said he went with Fine, was in New Orleans.

LINK

the one thing i havent understood is i thought ball boys dont travel to away games, so wouldnt someone have noticed if a ball boy went to freaking hawaii?!

I think that the worse thing Bernie could do was take the offensive ... sorry I'm not a lawyer and will probably get shot down here ... but many times the last act that they want is for the individual they are defending to take the stand. Any statement from Bernie would just fuel the fire and perpetuate this media circus.
I am a lawyer and I think the WORST thing Fine could do right now is say anything. If an action can be commenced against him (which seems unlikely based on the DA's comments) anything he says can and will be used against him. He needs to say nothing.

agree this whole thing has no evidence.
Coming forward will just paint more pictures. They already are taking frustrated shots from old games when he was on the sidelines and putting it on tv.

I agree that Bernine should issue a written statement with approval of his legal counsel. He should be able to defend himself since his name is being broadcasted negatively everywhere.

the one thing i havent understood is i thought ball boys dont travel to away games, so wouldnt someone have noticed if a ball boy went to freaking hawaii?!
CTO told us last night that they don't travel with the team, literally no one travels with the team other than players and coaches.

I am a lawyer and I think the WORST thing Fine could do right now is say anything. If an action can be commenced against him (which seems unlikely based on the DA's comments) anything he says can and will be used against him. He needs to say nothing.
I'm a lawyer and a former defense lawyer. How are you going to use a statement that says I am innocent against Bernie Fine. Please, tell me. Oh, Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, just to let you know, Mr. Fine immediately issued a statement that he was innocent. Doesn't come in, doesn't get used.
This is a statement, not a press conference or interview: a statement of innocence.

I'm a lawyer and a former defense lawyer. How are you going to use a statement that says I am innocent against Bernie Fine. Please, tell me. Oh, Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, just to let you know, Mr. Fine immediately issued a statement that he was innocent. Doesn't come in, doesn't get used.
This is a statement, not a press conference or interview: a statement of innocence.
1. Imo, that kind of a statement does nothing.
2. In most cases, statements like this often include something that can be used against him. For example, Sandusky came out the other day and said he just engaged in horseplay and touched kids legs, etc. Stuff like that, again imo, will be used against him. For example, if Bernie says something like "he was never on the Final Four trip to Nawlins" and the kid can prove otherwise, bad news. Imo (and again imo only) it is best for him not to say anything at all. He already has the 2 best mouthpieces he could have (SU and JB) on his side.

2. In most cases, statements like this often include something that can be used against him. For example, Sandusky came out the other day and said he just engaged in horseplay and touched kids legs, etc. Stuff like that, again imo, will be used against him. For example, if Bernie says something like "he was never on the Final Four trip to Nawlins" and the kid can prove otherwise, bad news. Imo (and again imo only) it is best for him not to say anything at all. He already has the 2 best mouthpieces he could have (SU and JB) on his side.
3. Such a statement could also omit one of the allegations (or additional claims could be added later on). Then people reviewing the statement could say something like "OK, he denied A and B, but not C."

I agree he should keep mum. It's implied that he believes he's innocent, and the story is still developing and could blow up in the accuser's and ESPN's face even without his contributions.

ChrisESPNCNY Chris McManus

I do know that Bernie Fine will release a statement today. We will get it to you as soon as we have it.
posted @2:50

BrentAxeMedia Brent Axe

As Bud Poliquin just told me, Jim Boeheim doesn't know of plans for Bernie Fine to talk today/ put out a release, but thinks he should

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom