Best Buzzer-Beater in SU History? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Best Buzzer-Beater in SU History?

Regarding that 1996 Georgia game, obviously Cipolla and Wallace's shots were awesome, but two things that don't get enough attention are:

-Wallace's absolutely perfect pass to Cipolla in the corner. Being able to drop that ball over the defender from about 40-50 feet away was way harder in difficulty than Cipolla's shot itself.

-When it felt like we were dead in the water, Z Sims made threes on back-to-back possessions to cut the lead from 9 to 3, which totally changed the game.

As I went down the list and watched my thoughts were on Devo's shoot and was glad it was included (sort of). I always have a problem with "the best" thing in any sports application. Prefer no less than maybe top 5.

Not as significant as most on the list but one that got my heart racing pretty good at the time. But I don't remember any details except Greg Monroe hitting a corner jumper for the win. What made it exciting was JB holding for the last shot while behind.

I'm sure some of you guys remember the who and when.

Not as significant as most on the list but one that got my heart racing pretty good at the time. But I don't remember any details except Greg Monroe hitting a corner jumper for the win. What made it exciting was JB holding for the last shot while behind.

I'm sure some of you guys remember the who and when.

I'm way too young, but the description fits what I've been told about an early-'80s game at Alumni Hall against the Redmen.

SU's first Final Four was in 1975. To get there, SU needed 3 buzzer beaters. The first against Lasalle was one that actually did not happen. The game was neck and neck and was tied with seconds left. Lasalle had the ball and got it inside to Joe Bryant (Kobe's dad) who somehow missed the easy layup for the win, sending the game into overtime. My recollection of the overtime period is a little sketchy due to hyperventilation, but I do know for sure that SU won and went on to the Regional Semi's to face UNC. UNC was expected to walk away with it, but SU kept it close and was down 76 to 75 after a Chris Sease jumper with about 25 seconds left. No way were we getting the ball back without some sort of divine intervention. SU slapped on the full court press and UNC threw the inbounds pass out of bounds giving SU one last shot to win it. SU got the ball inbounds, ran clock then got the ball inside to Rudy Hackett with seconds left. The entire UNC team fell for the decoy and collapsed on him. Hackett calmly passed the ball out to the wide open Jimmy Lee who even more calmly sank the 20 footer ("The Shot Heard 'Round the World" as Joel Marieness called it) with seconds left to give SU the win. I was at my girlfriends dorm room on the 10th floor of Haven Hall watching the game on her Philco black and white portable TV. I swear, the entire play happened in slow motion and the entire Campus (City?) went deathly quiet as the shot left Lee's hand and slowly, slowly arched towards the basket, then swish the ball goes through the hoop, then total pandemonium - A prelude to what happened on Campus on April 7, 2003. In the Regional Final, SU faced the Kansas State Wildcats and sharpshooter Chuckie Williams. The game was tied near the end and Kansas State had the ball for the last shot. You just knew Williams would take the last shot, which he did from the corner and of course made to give Kansas State the 2 point lead with 5 seconds left. SU inbounded the ball to Jimmy Williams (aka "Bug"), who streaked down the court, fed the ball inside to Hackett, who bobbled, recovered, put up the shot, (the same one we saw Joe Bryant miss a week earlier) ball rolls around the rim then in at the buzzer to send the game into overtime. Now those were some heart stopping buzzer beaters.

SU's first Final Four was in 1975. To get there, SU needed 3 buzzer beaters. The first against Lasalle was one that actually did not happen. The game was neck and neck and was tied with seconds left. Lasalle had the ball and got it inside to Joe Bryant (Kobe's dad) who somehow missed the easy layup for the win, sending the game into overtime. My recollection of the overtime period is a little sketchy due to hyperventilation, but I do know for sure that SU won and went on to the Regional Semi's to face UNC. UNC was expected to walk away with it, but SU kept it close and was down 76 to 75 after a Chris Sease jumper with about 25 seconds left. No way were we getting the ball back without some sort of divine intervention. SU slapped on the full court press and UNC threw the inbounds pass out of bounds giving SU one last shot to win it. SU got the ball inbounds, ran clock then got the ball inside to Rudy Hackett with seconds left. The entire UNC team fell for the decoy and collapsed on him. Hackett calmly passed the ball out to the wide open Jimmy Lee who even more calmly sank the 20 footer ("The Shot Heard 'Round the World" as Joel Marieness called it) with seconds left to give SU the win. I was at my girlfriends dorm room on the 10th floor of Haven Hall watching the game on her Philco black and white portable TV. I swear, the entire play happened in slow motion and the entire Campus (City?) went deathly quiet as the shot left Lee's hand and slowly, slowly arched towards the basket, then swish the ball goes through the hoop, then total pandemonium - A prelude to what happened on Campus on April 7, 2003. In the Regional Final, SU faced the Kansas State Wildcats and sharpshooter Chuckie Williams. The game was tied near the end and Kansas State had the ball for the last shot. You just knew Williams would take the last shot, which he did from the corner and of course made to give Kansas State the 2 point lead with 5 seconds left. SU inbounded the ball to Jimmy Williams (aka "Bug"), who streaked down the court, fed the ball inside to Hackett, who bobbled, recovered, put up the shot, (the same one we saw Joe Bryant miss a week earlier) ball rolls around the rim then in at the buzzer to send the game into overtime. Now those were some heart stopping buzzer beaters.

I love everything about this post except the lack of paragraphs.

Oh I do. They’ve written some trash since Keeley left. Not a fan at all of Cassillo.
It's not like they're trying to be Syracuse.com, fwiw. "Jokes and garbage" are part of their site.

It's not like they're trying to be Syracuse.com, fwiw. "Jokes and garbage" are part of their site.

The site stopped being funny the day Keeley left and shortly before he left they started being negative about everything Syracuse to the point i stopped going there. I can't help but follow Kevin Wall and John Cassillo on twitter as pretty much every SU fan follows them, but I don't care for their arrogance on every sports related topic nor are they close enough to the program(s) overall to have any inside take on anything. If I hurt anyone's feelings on this I apologize, but I find myself disagreeing with 80 percent of what they write when it comes to SU.

My favorite college basketball fans are the old folks who cheer great plays by both teams. Those people are chill.
I’ve been known to do that. But not loudly. It’s hard not to appreciate excellence.

Sh! No one heard me admit this.

It terms of importance, I would think it has to be Cipolla's shot, as that's the difference between hanging a Final Four banner and not hanging a Final Four banner (well, SU is too weird to hang Final Four banners, but you get my point).

They could probably remove the tacky Carmelo and Gmac photo and the giant number 44 trash bag, to make some room for some final 4 banners.

Not tough at all, 1984 vs BC. PEARL from half court and he never stopped running all the way to the locker room as time had run out.

I have been looking for years of video of this shot, nowhere to be found. Crazy
I'm pretty sure it's on that Syracuse basketball video with alltime highlights. It's probably about 10 years old now. I remember Hopkins made the inbounds pass after redeeming himself from either a bad turnover or bad foul at end of game that either tied game or put Cuse behind. I'll look for video and let you know name. You can probably find the video online cheap.

Oh I do. They’ve written some trash since Keeley left. Not a fan at all of Cassillo.
seems like Nunes just rehashes stories from Syracuse.com. The comments are interesting but the articles seem like Syracuse.com copycats. Stopped going there in 2017 and came here instead.Haven't been there since.