Best College Basketball Arenas... | Syracusefan.com

Best College Basketball Arenas...

HakAttack

Shirt World Hater, Script Jersey Lover.
With yet another ESPN snub...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...sas-our-bucket-list-college-basketball-arenas
http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/homecourts140113/there-no-place-quite-home-college-basketball

this got me thinking...college basketball arenas, what's your Top 5 Look Like?

Mine, in order:
1.) Duke: Cameron Indoor - The most iconic college basketball venue in the country.
2.) Philly 5 - The Palestra - Basketball royalty.
3.) Cuse, St. Johns - MSG - Big East Tournament. Nuff Said.
4.) Cuse - Carrier Dome - One of a kind.
5.) Butler - Hinkle Fieldhouse - Hooisers. Indiana bleeds basketball.

Honorable mention: New Mexico - The Pit - It's underground. Are you kidding?

Last edited:
Hec - Ed Pavilion at the University of Washington is pretty great. Only 10,000 seats, but there isn't a bad one.
A really cool feature is a UW sports hall of fame/ trophy area in the concourse.

I've got Cameron and Phog on my bucket list. The atmosphere before Kansas game the other night was pretty intense. You could see the Baylor players in awe.

Alumni Arena, University at Buffalo

800px-AlumniArena2.jpg

Nice practice facility. Where do they play their games? ;)

I've got Cameron and Phog on my bucket list. The atmosphere before Kansas game the other night was pretty intense. You could see the Baylor players in awe.

I agree, I watched that too and thought, " This is why they are a blue blood." The students jumping around was intense!

I understand ESPN's picks. All small, intimate arenas with history.

The thing they miss about the Carrier Dome though is that in the college game it is truly one of a kind. It may not be intimate, but geez Louise, no where else can you see a college game with 30,000+ of your closest friends. That alone is a top 5 experience.

I understand ESPN's picks. All small, intimate arenas with history.

The thing they miss about the Carrier Dome though is that in the college game it is truly one of a kind. It may not be intimate, but geez Louise, no where else can you see a college game with 30,000+ of your closest friends. That alone is a top 5 experience.
While a couple might be called intimate (Cameron, Palestra), most are "normal" sized basketball facilities. The Dome is unique, no question. But if you weren't worried about 25-30,000 fans, a place like Allen Fieldhouse with 16,000 plus capacity is ideal. Give me the choice of pure atmosphere of game watching and I'd chose Allen over the Dome. For pure memories of the big games, I'd take the Dome.