Best college basketball games of all time? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Best college basketball games of all time?

Lots of great games have been mentioned, but I'd like to add one more. The 1974 ACC Tournament Final between N C State and Maryland. N C State won 103 - 100 in overtime. It's been a while, so I might be mistaken, but I believe this was the game when Len Elmore pinned David Thompson's shoulders to the backboard while attempting a block. Today, Maryland would have likely been a 1 seed in the NCAA tournament. Back then, their season ended with that loss, as they declined to play in the NIT.

(Because I'm prejudiced) December 11, 1982 - UVa (with Ralph Sampson) 68 v. Georgetown (with Patrick Ewing) 62.

View attachment 181564
Sampson outplayed Ewing for the win, but what i remember most about this game was Ewing backing Ralph down, then dunking in his face for the first bucket of the game.
Hated the Hoyas but I remember literally jumping out of my seat at that play.

Just watched it on YouTube last night. Walton was amazing. So consistent. UCLA led by 11 with 10 minutes to go in regulation - and they even led by 7 with 3 minutes left in the 2nd overtime - and still lost!

David Thompson was such a unique player. And Mo Rivers was their point guard. But Thompson, oh my gosh, who is a comparable player? He was 6-4 but rebounded like a 6-8 forward. He had deep range on his jumper in an era before the 3 point shot. He could handle the ball, but was not really a "downhill" guy who attacked the rim. He really made sure to play within the team concept.

I really have a hard time thinking of a guy who played like him, except maybe somebody like Dave Bing, for those old enough to remember. Another comparable I thought of as I was re-watching the 92 Duke-Kentucky game is Grant Hill. David Thompson has Hill's leaping / dunking / finish the oop on the break kind of thing that Grant Hill (or Stevie Thompson) had. Grant Hill also played within the team concept, was an excellent passer (as was David Thompson) and eventually became a very solid outside shooter, which is why he had such a long NBA career. But David Thompson was 4 inches shorter than Grant Hill; otherwise, much the same player.

Tom Burleson was a heck of an offensive center, too, not just a 7-3 stiff who filled the lane on defense.
David Thompson was my favorite player growing up, mostly because of that game vs UCLA. I loved NCSU with Monte Towe(?) the tiny PG, and Burleson the HUGE center- they were like cartoon characters to me.
But Thompson...man, absolutely loved him. Glad his life turned around after some struggles. Still top 5 on my fav players list.

Kinda surprised no mention for this one - My senior year @ SU
1991 National Semi-final: Duke 79 UNLV 77
Revenge for Blue Devils from worst finals loss in history the year before, and undefeated Rebels denied NC...

Kinda surprised no mention for this one - My senior year @ SU
1991 National Semi-final: Duke 79 UNLV 77
Revenge for Blue Devils from worst finals loss in history the year before, and undefeated Rebels denied NC...

Yeah, that was also a pretty amazing game. Good call. I should look for that on YouTube.

David Thompson was my favorite player growing up, mostly because of that game vs UCLA. I loved NCSU with Monte Towe(?) the tiny PG, and Burleson the HUGE center- they were like cartoon characters to me.
But Thompson...man, absolutely loved him. Glad his life turned around after some struggles. Still top 5 on my fav players list.

That was a Golden Era of the ACC - that NC State team was really charismatic and talented. North Carolina was terrific - Bobby Jones, Walter Davis, Tommy LaGarde and Mitch Kupchak. Maryland was very good with Len Elmore, Tom McMillan and John Lucas at PG.

My favorite game of all time was the Bill Walton UCLA 1974 Final Four semifinal where they lost in double overtime, I think it was, to David Thompson and NC State. What a game!
This is the one I pick. It ended UCLA's streak and opened a new era. David Thompson played above the rim like no one had before (that I had seen.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom