Best female singer all time | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Best female singer all time

When we'd go to the bathroom, one would serve as lookout and the other would make off with the goods.
Sounds like you were in the midst of some true criminal masterminds.

I don't know why, but that part of your story was some of the funniest stuff I've read recently.

Sounds like you were in the midst of some true criminal masterminds.

I don't know why, but that part of your story was some of the funniest stuff I've read recently.

Didn't take us long to figure it out. They left early for either Christmas vacation or Spring Break. Our RA gave us permission to remove the hinges from the door, and get in there and take back everything that was rightfully, if illegally, ours.

Patsy is the best...

Another fave of mine... Joni Mitchell

In light of the passing of Aretha, I was curious to who people think is the best ever? Big time hits, transcendent to where young people know some songs, etc. I did a quick search in case this has been a topic before, I didn't find anything.

Maybe not the greatest in technical prowess and she’s seemingly disappeared since the Super Bowl incident, but in terms of hit songs: Janet Jackson had an insane number of hits over a good 10-15 year stretch. It would seem like half of her album was major hits for 3-4 albums in a row.

Like her stuff or not, Christina Aguilera can really sing.
Claire Torry (spelling). Who? She did the background on Dark Side of the Moon.

Last edited:
Like her stuff or not, Christina Aguilera can really sing.
Claire Torrey (spelling). Who? She did the background on Dark Side of the Moon.
I couldn't tell you one song by Aguilera, but people that pay attention, have always told me that she has a great voice.

Big time hits, transcendent to where young people know some songs, etc.
using those standards weighs it towards most famous/popular, not necessarily the best.

if there is an objective "best," i think it would likely be one of the legendary opera divas like maria callas or leontyne price.

using those standards weighs it towards most famous/popular, not necessarily the best.

if there is an objective "best," i think it would likely be one of the legendary opera divas like maria callas or leontyne price.
I was thinking that things like being transcendent, etc., is just another category marker to get to "the best", not necessarily one of the only things. I realize it is very subjective, that's why I was curious to what people thought. No one disappointed, I actually really like everyone's styles and input. Even learned a few things or learned more about people by looking them up.

I couldn't tell you one song by Aguilera, but people that pay attention, have always told me that she has a great voice.

On that count, I agree with the guy above who mentioned Jewel. Every time I've heard her sing I stopped what I was doing to listen.

I was thinking that things like being transcendent, etc., is just another category marker to get to "the best", not necessarily one of the only things. I realize it is very subjective, that's why I was curious to what people thought. No one disappointed, I actually really like everyone's styles and input. Even learned a few things or learned more about people by looking them up.

Agree there's a subjectivity factor attendant to "best" that is relative to personal taste. Also, there's more to being a great singer than simply getting the notes right on the correct beat. There was none better at that than Mouskouri with her legendary perfect pitch. However she couldn't sing that tells a story like Etta James (At Last, I'd Rather Go Blind), using techniques like coming in/leaving early or late, sliding up to a note rather than just hitting it, using vibrato, etc.

Got to see Oleta Adams perform in Seattle a bunch of years ago. She's got an amazing voice as well. Not greatest of all time, but very versatile.

Lot of good names listed, here’s a couple more.

Grace Slick, the JA stuff is awesome.

Ann Wilson: phenomenal rock voice

In my lifetime, Whitney and Mariah are on another level. Other than them, I've always enjoyed Aimee Mann. Oh, and Alison Krauss.

Donna Summer and Whitney Houston. Today could be Adele.

I'm gonna add Matina McBride. She belts it on Independence Day.
Also, the raspy bluesiness of Bonnie Raitt. Not a great voice in the classical sense, but one of my faves.

I was curious to who people think is the best ever? Big time hits, transcendent to where young people know some songs, etc.

Given that criteria I'd say Celine, Madonna, Whitney, and Mariah would probably be the leading contenders - they all had many hits.

I'll mention a few female voices I like that haven't been mentioned:

Cass Elliot
Dionne Warwick
Judith Durham (lead singer of The Seekers)
Diana Ross
Petula Clark
Darlene Love
Christine McVie

My all-time favorite female singer would probably be...

On that count, I agree with the guy above who mentioned Jewel. Every time I've heard her sing I stopped what I was doing to listen.
interesting because everytime i have heard her sing live i thought how bad her voice was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom