Best I've felt after loss | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Best I've felt after loss

I'm excited!
Funny...this is the worst I've felt about a regular season loss in a long time...throwing away chances to win the game like that.
But maybe the pains are growing pains...as the team gels and the guys see what they need to do to win.

On the positive side...is there a player anywhere who has improved more than Rakeem Christmas?
Rick

in a long long time.

I HATE losing but for the first time I saw something tonight.

Well, I wonder how this fits into the claim that many posters have made over the years about how they're willing to take losses early if it means that the team is better by the end of the season.

Agreed.

However, I'd be even more content had the final minute not taken place. Up until that point I voiced my happiness with the effort and play, regardless of outcome. But, after seeing some of those plays, or lack thereof, down the stretch with the opportunity to steal a win, it definitely ended up hurting a bit because we had our chances.

The L sucks, but I was anticipating it going in. So much room for improvement.

Funny...this is the worst I've felt about a regular season loss in a long time...throwing away chances to win the game like that.
But maybe the pains are growing pains...as the team gels and the guys see what they need to do to win.

On the positive side...is there a player anywhere who has improved more than Rakeem Christmas?

Pretty amazing what happens when you get chances. Rak has certainly improved, but it's hard to average close to a double double when you don't get the FG attempt opportunities (like in the past).

That being said, he's significantly improved his footwork. Still needs to work on passing out of the double teams-- this needs to be focus number one in practice. Why? Two reasons. 1) It's obvious we are going to feed Rak in the post. Teams understand this and will have to double down because he will have an advantage over most players due to his size. 2) A result of 1, this leaves guys open. Worked perfectly last night when Rak dished up to Joseph (I think), who then fed Cooney for a 3. Why is this big? Because Trevor can step into an open look. This is HUGE for him, and the team.

Another priority for practice, and it might seem really silly, is the use of bounce passes. We turned the ball over a lot because we were throwing chest passes and they were getting tipped. Bounce passes have a place in the game for a reason. Joseph in particular can improve here.

The team made solid progress tonight. Loved the fight they showed. JB is truly a great coach
historically, jb does his best coaching with teams like this or less talented. ala janillus, cipolla et al. this team has talent but must continue to shoot better. i still think they are a bubble team. not much offense to rely on. i reallly enjoyed watching them last night---good energy

historically, jb does his best coaching with teams like this or less talented. ala janillus, cipolla et al. this team has talent but must continue to shoot better. i still think they are a bubble team. not much offense to rely on. i reallly enjoyed watching them last night---good energy

Most importantly, incremental improvement from how we played two weeks ago in the 2k tournament. We still have a LONG way to go, but progres is evident. It gives me hope that we'll be incrementally even that much better by February / March.

I agree with AZ. But then again, great AZ minds think alike!!!
Also it was just a fun game to watch. The refs swallowed their whistles for the most part, and the game had a good flow, and was just a good game to watch.
And they did not fall for the "Duke" flop at the end.
I feel like good ol' Teddy Valentine made at least 6 awful foul calls on us. Rak gets treated like a true freshman with the touch fouls called against him. It pisses me off to no end. McCollough was called for 2 joke calls as well.

True although this is more of an experience issue than talent so I like the eventual upside.

Positives I saw:

- The team not giving up but fighting back in front of a pretty loud crowd.
- It appeared everyone contributed at some point.
- Played very good defense.
- When some players got into fould trouble, they adjusted still playing good defense and did not foul out.
- Hitting key mid and long range shots.
- Leadership - Key moment was when Cooney put his arm on Joseph's shoulder after turning it over during the last seconds.
- An inexperieced/young team that made mistakes, but was still in it at the end and had a chance to win.

I definitely saw more positives than negatives.

I think we may have a team that could sneak up on people/teams in the NCAA Tourney.

Well, I wonder how this fits into the claim that many posters have made over the years about how they're willing to take losses early if it means that the team is better by the end of the season.

Good to play better, bad to lose, but I'd be happier if we'd lost with Joseph playing 35 minutes instead of 40. This isn't sustainable and will give us a lower ceiling in March.

I feel like good ol' Teddy Valentine made at least 6 awful foul calls on us. Rak gets treated like a true freshman with the touch fouls called against him. It pisses me off to no end. McCollough was called for 2 joke calls as well.

I agree but Rak also had a foolish throw the guy back trying to get an offensive rebound a freshmen would make as well.

I thought the kids played pretty hard and the lack of rest for Joseph hurts a little defensively. I wish Patterson could play point for 3 to 5 minutes but I'm not sure he could handle Boeheim and his lack of patience to let that develop. McC has to be more aggressive offensively and I loved the high low with him and Rak. Silent G was more aggressive offensively and had a scorers mentality.

Once this offense figures out their roles/learning to play with each other offensively they will be fine. Need to create more turnovers to points.

I agree but Rak also had a foolish throw the guy back trying to get an offensive rebound a freshmen would make as well.

I thought the kids played pretty hard and the lack of rest for Joseph hurts a little defensively. I wish Patterson could play point for 3 to 5 minutes but I'm not sure he could handle Boeheim and his lack of patience to let that develop. McC has to be more aggressive offensively and I loved the high low with him and Rak. Silent G was more aggressive offensively and had a scorers mentality.

Once this offense figures out their roles/learning to play with each other offensively they will be fine. Need to create more turnovers to points.
If we can get silent G to stay aggressive like that, and have Chris and Rak stay consistent and grow together we will be formidable. Joseph will figure things out.

Yes there were definitely some bad calls. The over the back towards the beginning of the game that was not called. But just imagine this same game at Duke. Whistles would have blown every 4 seconds. There will always be some missed or bad calls. Still better game to watch when refs let them play for the most part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom