Best lineup | Syracusefan.com

Best lineup

I like both of those lineups. So, that is 6 guys. Who among Washington, Moyer and Chukwu will earn minutes. I think Chukwu will have to be terrible in order to not be on the court for 10 minutes per game. Moyer showed hustle and he is an aggressive rebounder, two nice qualities. And Howard Washington can shoot. I can’t wait for the games to get increasingly harder so that we can find out who can contribute against D1 talent.

I like both of those lineups. So, that is 6 guys. Who among Washington, Moyer and Chukwu will earn minutes. I think Chukwu will have to be terrible in order to not be on the court for 10 minutes per game. Moyer showed hustle and he is an aggressive rebounder, two nice qualities. And Howard Washington can shoot. I can’t wait for the games to get increasingly harder so that we can find out who can contribute against D1 talent.
Agreed. There’s no way Moyer and Chukwu don’t also get regular playing time. I think JB goes with 8 guys in the rotation this year.

Washington
Thorpe
Battle
Brissett
Sidibe
Lol. Washington will probably not see the floor once January comes around. There is zero scenario assuming health and not fouling out where Frank, Tyus and OB aren't on the floor come crunch time. Expect alot of 3 guard offense on crunch time. With probably Sidibe at center. I love Marek and he is going to quickly become a fan favorite as well... but Frank and Tyus run the show.

People keep beating the dead horse of FH not being part of our best lineup... that is just silly. JB would laugh in your face at that notion.

Lol. Washington will probably not see the floor once January comes around. There is zero scenario assuming health and not fouling out where Frank, Tyus and OB aren't on the floor come crunch time. Expect alot of 3 guard offense on crunch time. With probably Sidibe at center. I love Marek and he is going to quickly become a fan favorite as well... but Frank and Tyus run the show.

People keep beating the dead horse of FH not being part of our best lineup... that is just silly. JB would laugh in your face at that notion.

I would say jury is still out on fh, right? Is it so laughable when he got benched last year and didnt play all summer? Kind of an odd statement to make right now.

I think the reason for that is that even last night Frank showed zero inkling that he would fill the role he needs to on this team. Last night is pretty meaningless but it was an opportunity for Frank to show he could be this teams floor leader and Point Guard. He did not do that. Instead he played an "overall game" by scoring and getting rebounds. That's great but we need more than 2 assists a game out of our PG. Maybe Battle will be our PG, maybe it will be Thorpe (my hope?). But if Frank wants to be one of the top 5 he either needs to adopt the PG role or he will be competing with all the forwards to play along with Battle and Thorpe. Our best lineup may be Battle, Thorpe, Howard, Brissett and Sidibe.
Washington will see the floor if he can hit the spot up 3 consistently. I wasn't expecting him to Wow me. But if he can shoot 3/6 from 3 he WILL see time.

My fear with frank is any pressure defense and he seems to crumble. I have low expectations but hoping for the best

Not picking on your post, but how are we so sure Geno isn’t the primary ball handler and Frank plays off the ball? It’s hard to make conclusions on anything last night until we see Geno play.

One thing is for certain and it’s we need scoring. If Frank can shoot he will play.

This is why I’m not sold on Marek playing much at all. He’s going to struggle scoring in the half court.

Not picking on your post, but how are we so sure Geno isn’t the primary ball handler and Frank plays off the ball? It’s hard to make conclusions on anything last night until we see Geno play.

One thing is for certain and it’s we need scoring. If Frank can shoot he will play.

This is why I’m not sold on Marek playing much at all. He’s going to struggle scoring in the half court.

Marek will be fine. He needs strength improved, but otherwise is a high caliber player. You may not have noticed but he continually got his hands on the ball playing defense, and caused multiple turnovers. He also made several assists.
His big problem will be strength, thin as a reed.
Shooting ability is not determinable with this one game sample.

I’ll just say this because I watched the scrimmage and people seem down on Moyer on the board, but Moyer absolutely dominated him in the scrimmage on the glass and on offense. All of Mareks contributions were in the press last night. We need to see what he can do in the half court.

Think our best lineup will end up being

Thorpe
Battle
Brissett
Marek
Sidibe

I like this lineup also. Marek is too good on defense not to get a huge amount of PT. I think Thorpe, Battle, and Brissett are the leading scorers.

I really like Sidibe on defense. He's big and fast. His speed and tenaciousness reminds me of Baye but he doesn't seem as flimsy.

My biggest concern is how well the top of the zone is at shifting into position so to be good defending against 3 pointers. I think the offense will come along after a few games. The defense doesn't get really good until the end of February.

I'm more hopeful about this team than I was 2 days ago. I see glimmers of hope.

Who said im sure of anything? Im clearly prognosticating in my posts throughout this thread.

I’ll just say this because I watched the scrimmage and people seem down on Moyer on the board, but Moyer absolutely dominated him in the scrimmage on the glass and on offense. All of Mareks contributions were in the press last night. We need to see what he can do in the half court.

I am not one of those down on Moyer, he did have a relatively poor night shooting the ball, but again too small a sample to say much about that. I think he played pretty well considering, not perfect but no glaring problems either.
This whole team is a work in progress, and much will depend on their growth as players and their becoming a team. I believe they have enough parts to be a surprising team by mid season, not saying great, but better than most have predicted.

Last edited:
I am not one of those down on Moyer, he did have a relatively poor night shooting the ball, but again too small a sample to say much about that. I think he played pretty well considering, not perfect but no glaring problems either.
This whole team is a work in progress, and much will depend on their growth as players and their becoming a team. I believe they have enough parts to be a surprising team by mid season, not saying great, but better than most have predicted.

I'm not down on Moyer. I just think the other players are moving faster and contributing equally. Moyer has a role. I'm just not sure he's going to get the most PT based on one sample. Maybe over the next few games he will change my opinion. It's still very very early in the season.

So who is the whipping boy this season in the dog house, filling the Roberson role?

So who is the whipping boy this season in the dog house, filling the Roberson role?
I would say Frank Howard. Every time he makes a crippling turnover or doesn't get out on a shooter he will get screamed at. He has been pretty complementary of him so far. He is clearly trying to build him up because we need him. I don't think anyone on this years team will reach anything close to Roberson levels though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom