Best PG, SG, SF, PF or C in the Nation | Syracusefan.com

Best PG, SG, SF, PF or C in the Nation

Which would you rather have: the best PG, SG, SF, PF or C in the nation?

• PG

Votes: 23 67.6%
  • SG

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SF

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • PF

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • C

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
We all may be biased since SU does, in fact, have the best point guard in the nation

We all may be biased since SU does, in fact, have the best point guard in the nation

Any list of best point guards starts with Trey Burke. And that's not a knock on MCW.

I voted Center, because there are so truly few of them left in college basketball. If you have a dominant rebounding, shot-blocking and low-post scoring big man, you are golden.

Any list of best point guards starts with Trey Burke. And that's not a knock on MCW.

that is certainly not a forgone conclusion. and that is not a knock on trey burke.

I voted Center, because there are so truly few of them left in college basketball. If you have a dominant rebounding, shot-blocking and low-post scoring big man, you are golden.
Zellar is the best right now.

zellar is a really good player. but i dont see dominant at all. and i dont for the life of me see #1 pick.

you can make a legit argument for mason plumlee here.

that being said... i have said this for the last week. i truly believe MCW is going to have as good a shot as anyone at being the #1 pick this year in the draft. he is the only player I have seen so far this year that screams NBA to me.

Is he though? Plumlee is averaging 19 and 11 (versus Zeller's 15 and 9) and has played vastly superior competition.

Last year, I would have said center if it meant having Anthony Davis. The separation between him and everyone else at his position was huge. Not sure that there is a similar player this year.

zellar is a really good player. but i dont see dominant at all. and i dont for the life of me see #1 pick.

you can make a legit argument for mason plumlee here.

that being said... i have said this for the last week. i truly believe MCW is going to have as good a shot as anyone at being the #1 pick this year in the draft. he is the only player I have seen so far this year that screams NBA to me.
It seems that MCW gets stripped of the ball more than a elite point guard should.

It seems that MCW gets stripped of the ball more than a elite point guard should.
But that leads to a steal on the other end and fast break dunk. He makes up for it.

To me college basketball is much more guard oriented, and having a good PG is paramount because he touches the ball more than anyone else.

he has a 3.5:1 assist/to ratio...

To me college basketball is much more guard oriented

I completely agree with that, which is the precise reason that I chose Center. I feel as though good/great guards are a dime a dozen, whereas truly high quality big men are becoming increasingly rare.

Best small forward. If you have a big, versatile one that can shoot, rebound and drive you'd be unstoppable. Kinda like the guy that Syracuse had in 2003...

Depends.
I'd probably want the guy who was most vastly superior at his position.

Any player who's just marginally better than the competition is just a marginal upgrade. Think about it in terms of baseball stats. WAR/Wins Above Replacement-level.

So far, though, it's too early to say.

In general, I'd probably go with a SF or a PF who could also handle the ball. Carmelo, Danny Manning, John Wallace, Derrick Coleman, etc.

I'd rather have the best small forward in the country and ride him to a title... make him 6'8" and able to shoot the 3

I'd go SF. It's the most versatile position. An elite one can do everything: shoot, post up, pass, handle the ball, play D on the perimeter and inside, rebound, finish on the break...

I'd prefer the best coach, personally.

One with a buttload of wins and endless dedication to this city and school. I don't want one of those scrubs with less than 899 wins either...

Wonder when we'll ever get one... ;)

I'd prefer the best coach, personally.

One with a buttload of wins and endless dedication to this city and school. I don't want one of those scrubs with less than 899 wins either...

Wonder when we'll ever get one... ;)

Coach is probably the least important of the 6 positions (I'd actually rank it 7th behind the 5 starters and then 6th man).

Just look who won it last year as evidence.

Is he though? Plumlee is averaging 19 and 11 (versus Zeller's 15 and 9) and has played vastly superior competition.
He's also averaging somewhere near 5 minutes more a game. So it's a lot closer than the stats.