Best team you have seen in each sport | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Best team you have seen in each sport

They did play in a crazy good pitchers park.

I would also say there's a difference between a great team and a team that had a great year.

I concur with your latter point although even given the size of the ballpark those stats are pretty soft for any era, particularly the steroid era.

Not only were their offensive stats mundane and their pitching rotation rather ordinary for a WS participant but both the 1997 and 1999 Padre editions both finished well below .500. Not exactly a talent laden squad. I stand by my point that they were a pretty weak WS entrant.
Who gives a crap about 1997 and 1999 Padres?

I concur with your latter point although even given the size of the ballpark those stats are pretty soft for any era, particularly the steroid era.

According to bbref, they had a 100 OPS+, which I believe for an NL team is a little above average. Pretty good offense, nothing crazy though.

They had a 93-69 pythag record, so certainly possible they overperformed by a few games. I more agree than disagree with you, they were a good team. I don't think anyone's idea of a great team, but probably not one of the weaker WS teams of the last X years either.

I would say the weakest World Series loser in recent times may have been the 2007 Colorado Rockies, although they did pull off a ridiculous win streak to get in to the playoffs.

The Cardinals have had some terrible teams win the World Series. The 2006 team won 83 games.

The 2011 team won 90 games.. I only remember that 2011 team because I went to visit PNC Park (Pittsburgh)in July that year. A lovely stadium. The Cardinals made the most mental / fundamental errors I had ever seen a ball team make. I pulled up the box score

St. Louis Cardinals at Pittsburgh Pirates Box Score, July 24, 2011 | Baseball-Reference.com

Just looking at the box score I saw the Cardinals had 3 errors, were picked off twice, gave up multiple steals (one where I remember nobody covered second base), hit into a few double plays. It was a total crapshow. Looking at the boxscore they were 53-48 at the time -- I was stunned to see them in the World Series that year based on what I saw that day.

I would say the weakest World Series loser in recent times may have been the 2007 Colorado Rockies, although they did pull off a ridiculous win streak to get in to the playoffs.

The Cardinals have had some terrible teams win the World Series. The 2006 team won 83 games.

The 2011 team won 90 games.. I only remember that 2011 team because I went to visit PNC Park (Pittsburgh)in July that year. A lovely stadium. The Cardinals made the most mental / fundamental errors I had ever seen a ball team make. I pulled up the box score

St. Louis Cardinals at Pittsburgh Pirates Box Score, July 24, 2011 | Baseball-Reference.com

Just looking at the box score I saw the Cardinals had 3 errors, were picked off twice, gave up multiple steals (one where I remember nobody covered second base), hit into a few double plays. It was a total crapshow. Looking at the boxscore they were 53-48 at the time -- I was stunned to see them in the World Series that year based on what I saw that day.

It's funny, some of the weaker regular season teams to make the WS I would list (06 cards, 87 twins) actually won the series, so it kinda sounds dumb to say they were the worst teams in.

It's funny, some of the weaker regular season teams to make the WS I would list (06 cards, 87 twins) actually won the series, so it kinda sounds dumb to say they were the worst teams in.

World Series champions are like recent UConn national titles. They make no sense

'69-'71 Orioles, especially the '71 team, with 4 20 game winners, which will never be matched.

Who gives a crap about 1997 and 1999 Padres?

You were the one that said the vaunted 1998 edition of the Padres was a formidable squad. Not sure how you could type that with a straight face but did it ever occur to you that if they were so great then why couldn't the same talent not even finish above .500 the year before and year after?

You were the one that said the vaunted 1998 edition of the Padres was a formidable squad. Not sure how you could type that with a straight face but did it ever occur to you that if they were so great then why couldn't the same talent not even finish above .500 the year before and year after?
I said they were far from one of the weakest World Series teams, as you contended.

By your logic, the 2013 Red Sox should be considered one of the worst teams ever to win a World Series.

I said they were far from one of the weakest World Series teams, as you contended.

By your logic, the 2013 Red Sox should be considered one of the worst teams ever to win a World Series.

I laid out for you how SD had nothing special in the way of power, speed or pitching yet you keep clinging to the belief they were anywhere near average for a WS entrant.

Actually the 2013 Red Sox are a very poor example. The following players did not play on the 2012 team yet were important players in the postseason in 2013- Mike Napoli, Steven Drew, Xander Bogaerts, Jonny Gomes, Shane Victorino, Jake Peavy and Koji Uehara. I believe Lackey missed all of the 2012 season, too. That team had a fairly complete makeover from 2012 not to mention different coaching staff.

I laid out for you how SD had nothing special in the way of power, speed or pitching yet you keep clinging to the belief they were anywhere near average for a WS entrant.

Actually the 2013 Red Sox are a very poor example. The following players did not play on the 2012 team yet were important players in the postseason in 2013- Mike Napoli, Steven Drew, Xander Bogaerts, Jonny Gomes, Shane Victorino, Jake Peavy and Koji Uehara. I believe Lackey missed all of the 2012 season, too. That team had a fairly complete makeover from 2012 not to mention different coaching staff.
You suck at reading comprehension but are quite adept at moving goalposts.

You suck at reading comprehension but are quite adept at moving goalposts.

That all ya got? I need you to wax poetic about how the 1998 SD Padres were the modern day murderer's row.

That all ya got? I need you to wax poetic about how the 1998 SD Padres were the modern day murderer's row.
Go read post #96 in this thread and the post of yours to which I was responding. If you want to die on that hill, it's fine with me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom