9:30 ESPNU - #11 RUTGERS VS. #14 DEPAUL

WEDNESDAY MARCH 13

NOON ESPN - #8 CINCINNATI VS. #9 PROVIDENCE
2:30 ESPN - #5 SYRACUSE VS. #12 SETON HALL/#13 SOUTH FLORIDA WINNER
7:00 ESPN2 - #7 VILLANOVA VS. #10 ST. JOHNS
9:30 ESPN - #6 NOTRE DAME VS. #11 RUTGERS/#14 DEPAUL WINNER

THURSDAY MARCH 14

NOON ESPN - #1 GEORGETOWN VS. #8 CINCINNATI/#9 PROVIDENCE WINNER
2:30 ESPN - #4 PITTSBURGH VS. #5 SYRACUSE/#12 SETON HALL/#13 SOUTH FLORIDA WINNER
7:00 ESPN - #2 LOUISVILLE VS. #7 VILLANOVA/#10 ST. JOHNS WINNER
9:30 ESPN - #3 MARQUETTE VS. #6 NOTRE DAME/#11 RUTGERS/#14 DEPAUL WINNER

SEMI FINALS ARE AT 7:00 AND 9:30 ON ESPN FRIDAY MARCH 15TH
FINALS ARE AT 8:30 ON ESPN ON SATURDAY MARCH 16TH

NOTE: WILL NOT BE PARTICIPATING IN THIS YEARS TOURNAMENT

CURRENT STANDINGS AND REMAINING GAMES

1. GEORGETOWN 13-3 (@ VILLANOVA, SYRACUSE)
2. LOUISVILLE 12-4 (CINCINNATI, NOTRE DAME)
3. MARQUETTE 12-4 (@ RUTGERS, @ ST. JOHNS)
4. PITTSBURGH 11-6 (@ DEPAUL)
5. SYRACUSE 10-6 (DEPAUL, @ GEORGETOWN)
6. NOTRE DAME 10-6 (ST. JOHNS, @ LOUISVILLE)

( 9-7)
7. VILLANOVA 9-7
8. CINCINNATI 8-8
9. PROVIDENCE 8-8
10. ST. JOHNS 8-8
11. RUTGERS 4-12
12. SETON HALL 3-13
13. SOUTH FLORIDA 2-14
14. DEPAUL 2-14

Well our final resting place is becoming clearer.

The only chance we have at the 4 seed and double bye is for Pitt to lose at DePaul and we win both games. If Pitt beats DePaul they get the 4 seed and the double bye. Our fate would then be in the 5-6 seed.

We get own the tie breaker with Notre Dame so if we both go 1-1 and tie at 11-7 we will get the 5 seed. The only way they can get the 5 is if they sweep their last 2 and we go 1-1. Certainly a possibility. I hate the 5 seed as its the no mans land game. 2:30 on both Wednesday and Thursday.

Basically it all comes down to the UND Louisville game to determine whether we're the 5 at 2:30 or the 6 at 9:30. Is that right?

Basically it all comes down to the UND Louisville game to determine whether we're the 5 at 2:30 or the 6 at 9:30. Is that right?

Basically that game and our game vs. Gtown. If we both pull the upsets then we get the 5. If we lose and they win they get the 5. If we win and they lose we get the 5.

if we win both this week a 5, if we split and nd wins out then a 6, if we both split we still get the 5.

i prefer pitt over marquette, i prefer no wednesday, but it is what it is

unless we win @georgetown plus depaul at home.

i really don't see ND winning at Lville. So as long as we beat Depaul we'll be the 5.

Immediately order double workout sessions in the weight room to prepare for rematch with Pitt.
SU playing Pitt is like watch the movie Groundhog Day. The game looks the same every time with the same bad ending.

Marsh do we lose a 3 way tie with Notre Dame and Pitt for the 4 seed if ND somehow beat UL. and all 3 were 12-6. We beat ND, who beat Pitt, who beat us. I would assume we would lose a 3 way tie but I am just wondering. Also, I believe we are pretty much a lock for 5 seed because we will beat DePaul and Louisville will probably be out for revenge against ND in Louisville.

Marsh, a million likes! I just spent half an hour on the phone with Gary, with whom I am going to the BET, looking at stub hub and trying to figure out what to do. I said, "Let me go check out the board and start a thread if I need to." So, I get on and voila! You are the answer to my prayers. It looks like we've got a 2 out of 3 chance to be the 5 seed. And we probably won't know until the week-end. Still, I at least can see that we most certainly are not going to be a 4 seed. Good (sad) to know. I am afraid Pitt will definitely beat DePaul.

Marsh do we lose a 3 way tie with Notre Dame and Pitt for the 4 seed if ND somehow beat UL. and all 3 were 12-6. We beat ND, who beat Pitt, who beat us. I would assume we would lose a 3 way tie but I am just wondering. Also, I believe we are pretty much a lock for 5 seed because we will beat DePaul and Louisville will probably be out for revenge against ND in Louisville.
If that 3 way tie happened, since all would be 1-1 in the mini conference it would go by record against the top team GTown. Pitt beat them and SU and ND didn't so Pitt would get the #4 seed and the double bye. SU would be #5 and then ND.

If that 3 way tie happened, since all would be 1-1 in the mini conference it would go by record against the top team GTown. Pitt beat them and SU and ND didn't so Pitt would get the #4 seed and the double bye. SU would be #5 and then ND.
Even if SU was 1-1 vs Gtown and Pitt was 1-0? Or does it just go by win% if so we get screwed because we played Gtown, UL x2 and Pitt only played each once. Or if Gtown lost to Nova and us we would win would tiebreaker cause we were 1-1 vs UL and Pitt was 0-1 vs them.

Even if SU was 1-1 vs Gtown and Pitt was 1-0? Or does it just go by win% if so we get screwed because we played Gtown, UL x2 and Pitt only played each once. Or if Gtown lost to Nova and us we would win would tiebreaker cause we were 1-1 vs UL and Pitt was 0-1 vs them.

I am pretty sure its win %

I am pretty sure its win %
Then we are screwed because ND can't beat UL because then UL can't be 1 seed in the BET and allow us to use our win against them in a tiebreaker scenario. If the tiebreaker is win% it sucks because if a team played the 1 seed once and went 1-0 versus another team playing the top seed twice and going 1-1 it shouldn't favor the team that only played once because the teams are tied in record and the team that went 1-1 had to play the 1 seed twice. If it goes strictly on a basis of finding a common opponent it would go like this.
Gtown- Pitt 1-0 SU 0-1(1 game left) ND 0-1
Louisville Pitt 0-1 SU 1-1 ND 1-0(1 game left)
Marquette Pitt 0-2 SU 0-1 ND 0-1
ND Pitt 0-1 SU 1-0
SU Pitt 1-0 ND 0-1
Pitt ND 1-0 SU 1-0
UConn Pitt 1-0 SU 0-1 ND 0-1
Cincy Pitt 0-2 SU 1-0 ND 2-0
Providence Pitt 1-0 SU 2-0 ND 0-1
St. John's Pitt 1-0 SU 1-0 ND 1-0
So if they went through the tiebreaker scenario where each team had to play the same amount of games Pitt would probably win the tiebreaker based on UConn if UConn wasn't eligible because they are UConn and couldn't pass the APR then I would have no clue who would win.

Then we are screwed because ND can't beat UL because then UL can't be 1 seed in the BET and allow us to use our win against them in a tiebreaker scenario. If the tiebreaker is win% it sucks because if a team played the 1 seed once and went 1-0 versus another team playing the top seed twice and going 1-1 it shouldn't favor the team that only played once because the teams are tied in record and the team that went 1-1 had to play the 1 seed twice. If it goes strictly on a basis of finding a common opponent it would go like this.
Gtown- Pitt 1-0 SU 0-1(1 game left) ND 0-1
Louisville Pitt 0-1 SU 1-1 ND 1-0(1 game left)
Marquette Pitt 0-2 SU 0-1 ND 0-1
ND Pitt 0-1 SU 1-0
SU Pitt 1-0 ND 0-1
Pitt ND 1-0 SU 1-0
UConn Pitt 1-0 SU 0-1 ND 0-1
Cincy Pitt 0-2 SU 1-0 ND 2-0
Providence Pitt 1-0 SU 2-0 ND 0-1
St. John's Pitt 1-0 SU 1-0 ND 1-0
So if they went through the tiebreaker scenario where each team had to play the same amount of games Pitt would probably win the tiebreaker based on UConn if UConn wasn't eligible because they are UConn and couldn't pass the APR then I would have no clue who would win.

Tiebreaker after head to head I believe so we are safe because we beat them.

"2. Compare each team’s record vs. the team or group of tied teams occupying the highest position in the
standings. Continue down through the standings until one team gains an advantage. When comparing
records against a single team or collective tied teams (before ties are broken), the following may apply:
a. The games played against the team or group are equal, winning percentage prevails.
b. If the games played against the team or group are unequal, the following scenarios apply:
1) Most wins do prevail only if the team(s) with fewer wins could not equal that win total if they
played the same number of games. Two examples of many scenarios that do provide an advantage
1) Team A 2-0 2) Team A 3-1
Team B 1-1 Team B 1-2
Team C 0-1 Team C 1-2

2) Most wins do not prevail only if the team(s) with fewer wins could equal or surpass the win total
of the other team. Two examples of many scenarios that do not provide an advantage:
1) Team A 2-1 2) Team A 1-2
Team B 1-1 Team B 0-2
Team C 1-1 Team C 0-2

3) Fewer losses do not prevail if the team(s) have the same number of wins, but the team with fewer
games could equal or surpass the loss total of the other tied teams. Two examples of many scenarios
that do not provide an advantage:
1) Team A 2-0 2) Team A 0-2
Team B 2-1 Team B 0-3
Team C 2-1 Team C 0-3
If an advantage is not determined, proceed to the next team or group in the standings for comparison"

So I don't think it's straight win%, it sounds like 1-1 and 1-0 are considered a tie.

"2. Compare each team’s record vs. the team or group of tied teams occupying the highest position in the
standings. Continue down through the standings until one team gains an advantage. When comparing
records against a single team or collective tied teams (before ties are broken), the following may apply:
a. The games played against the team or group are equal, winning percentage prevails.
b. If the games played against the team or group are unequal, the following scenarios apply:
1) Most wins do prevail only if the team(s) with fewer wins could not equal that win total if they
played the same number of games. Two examples of many scenarios that do provide an advantage
1) Team A 2-0 2) Team A 3-1
Team B 1-1 Team B 1-2
Team C 0-1 Team C 1-2

2) Most wins do not prevail only if the team(s) with fewer wins could equal or surpass the win total
of the other team. Two examples of many scenarios that do not provide an advantage:
1) Team A 2-1 2) Team A 1-2
Team B 1-1 Team B 0-2
Team C 1-1 Team C 0-2

3) Fewer losses do not prevail if the team(s) have the same number of wins, but the team with fewer
games could equal or surpass the loss total of the other tied teams. Two examples of many scenarios
that do not provide an advantage:
1) Team A 2-0 2) Team A 0-2
Team B 2-1 Team B 0-3
Team C 2-1 Team C 0-3
If an advantage is not determined, proceed to the next team or group in the standings for comparison"

So I don't think it's straight win%, it sounds like 1-1 and 1-0 are considered a tie.
Good find Knicks so basically we have a 2nd chance at the 4 seed if ND beats UL unlikely and we beat Gtown OR Depaul beats Pitt, but it would take a complicated determination of what I posted and I can't figure it. If you do I gladly tip my cap and give a like.

Tiebreaker after head to head I believe so we are safe because we beat them.
Marsh I was talking about the tiebreaking scenario if ND finishes 12-6, SU 12-6, and Pitt 12-6. If we are talking 5 seed I agree we dominated ND in the tiebreaking scenario. I am just talking about a backdoor way into the 4 seed without DePaul winning.

I think this team would be better off getting the 5 or 6

I think this team would be better off getting the 5 or 6
I agree. Give them a chance to win, get their juices flowing, then go into Thursday.

Marsh I was talking about the tiebreaking scenario if ND finishes 12-6, SU 12-6, and Pitt 12-6. If we are talking 5 seed I agree we dominated ND in the tiebreaking scenario. I am just talking about a backdoor way into the 4 seed without DePaul winning.

Ah I thought you were referring to a 2 way tie.

I would think that we still would be the odd team out because we were all tied at 10-6 and we were 3rd in the 3 team tiebreaker. I think our loss to Gtown would hurt as well as Marquette if they finish second.

Ah I thought you were referring to a 2 way tie.

I would think that we still would be the odd team out because we were all tied at 10-6 and we were 3rd in the 3 team tiebreaker. I think our loss to Gtown would hurt as well as Marquette if they finish second.
Marsh after talking with somebody in the Big East if SU, Pitt, ND all end up 12-6 ND gets the 4th seed.
Since the 3 teams don't have a common amount of games against Gtown, Marquette, Louisville, then it would go to the next team UConn. Pitt beat UConn, ND beat UConn, SU lost to UConn. SU is eliminated and ND beat Pitt head to head, ND gets the 4, Pitt 5, SU 6.

Marsh after talking with somebody in the Big East if SU, Pitt, ND all end up 12-6 ND gets the 4th seed.
Since the 3 teams don't have a common amount of games against Gtown, Marquette, Louisville, then it would go to the next team UConn. Pitt beat UConn, ND beat UConn, SU lost to UConn. SU is eliminated and ND beat Pitt head to head, ND gets the 4, Pitt 5, SU 6.

That makes sense because that is the way the standings indicated when they were all tied at 10-6. Thanks for checking on it.

I agree. Give them a chance to win, get their juices flowing, then go into Thursday.
exactly get some momentum, hopefully a 3 game winning streak going into a Thursday battle with Pitt

One thing I failed to mention was that Louisville has not technically secured a double bye yet. With games still left against Cincinnati and Notre Dame if they were to lose both anf ND win out (or we win out) creating clusterF tie they could get bumped down.

The way they are playing I dont think that will happen and if they win tonight they will clinch the double bye.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom