Better than Crystal Ball | Syracusefan.com

Better than Crystal Ball

perdurabo

2nd String
This researcher just solved college football’s biggest mystery. She can predict where high school players will commit.

Bigsby developed the model as part of her PhD program in information science. She wanted to study wrestling recruiting — Iowa consistently fields a top wrestling team — but went with football because the sport was more popular and because of the national obsession around recruiting classes.

She mined data from 573 athletes in 2016 from the 247Sports recruiting database who had at least two Division I scholarship offers and public Twitter accounts. Then she pulled their tweets, followers and accounts they followed each month and distilled the data into a model that makes it all easy to understand.

She found that if a recruit tweeted a hashtag about a school, his likelihood of committing there jumped 300 percent. For every coach the athlete followed from a given school, his likelihood of committing went up 47 percent. When a coach follows an athlete, likelihood increases 40 percent.

The model correctly predicted a recruit’s choice 70 percent of the time. And if the model was wrong, recruits generally chose the “second-place” college, Bigsby’s paper shows.

“We can narrow most people’s choices down to two schools,” she said, “but you never know what teenagers are thinking.”

The model could provide better predictions, Bigsby said, if researchers pulled recruits’ Twitter data every week instead of every month. Plus, she’s still tweaking the model to better interpret what tweets mean.

I don’t have a formula but I would be willing that bet that based on biographical info and a twitter feed, I could predict where a player is going at a higher clip than 70%.

My argument is that adults following teenage boys' twitter account is creepy.
Oh, 100%. It's a weird area.

But... there's room to acknowledge the power of social media in recruiting.

So now I'm a creepy old lady. But y'all read the twitter posts. And if it wasn't for twitter there wouldn't be much in those threads on the recruiting forums.

Now? ;)

Remember when the board dinosaurs we're making the argument that Twitter didn't matter in recruiting?
Are you saying that Twitter impacts where a recruit decides to go or that it is a good indicator of his choice? This is an important distinction.

Are you saying that Twitter impacts where a recruit decides to go or that it is a good indicator of his choice? This is an important distinction.
Both.

Somewhere out there is a department director, or program coordinator, or faculty advisor, or somebody lol that’s losing their minds that there’s an article in the Washington Post about one of their students and it doesn’t reference her funding mechanism, her department, anything.

You can follow them, just don't tweet at them.
The tweeting at them, as long as it is civil and not excessive, is ok. It's the thought of adults DMing kids, unless it is there job or they know the kid or parent, that I find creepy.

You haven't been keeping up on your forum reading. ;)

And not a doctoral student but I did work the rat lab.

Wow I usually don't miss something like that. Mea culpa!

Fortune tellers have difficulty getting pregnant because their husbands have crystal balls.
Playing all week at Grossinger's, Brooklyn based Sheky "Frozen" Orange

So now I'm a creepy old lady. But y'all read the twitter posts. And if it wasn't for twitter there wouldn't be much in those threads on the recruiting forums.
The Graduate with Dustin Hoffman is a classic, fwiw.